Rooted problem

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
:rofl2::rofl2::popcorn:

let me throw another one in there. :rofl2:

There is no way they can tell that you are rooted with out you telling them o

I'm honestly not joking, I work for a Funeral Service and it is a business phone on a business plan, I'm all for rooting, which is why I have a rooted phone with bugless beat v1.1 and smoked glass on my phone right now sitting in front of me. My boss confronted me about this after getting a call from verizon telling him my phone is no longer under warranty because overclocking it can lead to over heating and they are not responsible for that. The main thing I am concerned with is why I have a 600 dollar phone bill this month. I havent done anything to get my bill that high. I have tethered it once for 20 minutes and all that was done during that was to play songs on youtube. I do not appreciate your very unhelpful comment. I posted here with a question looking for an answer, not that.
It is impossible for them to know you are rooted and overclocked.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

unless you take it to them I do not see how. They can assume/guess by having people coming on to forums like this to determine the percentage of users who root. But that would be used to get the method and close the door.
As far as knowing what your paticular device is doing....I just dont see it. Too many people who thought they bricked their phones, from rooting, were able to exchange it. THat is why I do not see how big red have the time or is willing to pay the resource to track people down who root. It would be both costly, a waste of time, and bad for PR. Because consumers will lash out saying "if you are ease dropping on that, what else are you ease dropping on". Naw I dont see it. Sorry, call me a skeptic.

warrior21

Reaction score
I'm honestly not joking, I work for a Funeral Service and it is a business phone on a business plan, I'm all for rooting, which is why I have a rooted phone with bugless beat v1.1 and smoked glass on my phone right now sitting in front of me. My boss confronted me about this after getting a call from verizon telling him my phone is no longer under warranty because overclocking it can lead to over heating and they are not responsible for that. The main thing I am concerned with is why I have a 600 dollar phone bill this month. I havent done anything to get my bill that high. I have tethered it once for 20 minutes and all that was done during that was to play songs on youtube. I do not appreciate your very unhelpful comment. I posted here with a question looking for an answer, not that.
It is impossible for them to know you are rooted and overclocked.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

unless you take it to them I do not see how. They can assume/guess by having people coming on to forums like this to determine the percentage of users who root. But that would be used to get the method and close the door.
As far as knowing what your paticular device is doing....I just dont see it. Too many people who thought they bricked their phones, from rooting, were able to exchange it. THat is why I do not see how big red have the time or is willing to pay the resource to track people down who root. It would be both costly, a waste of time, and bad for PR. Because consumers will lash out saying "if you are ease dropping on that, what else are you ease dropping on". Naw I dont see it. Sorry, call me a skeptic.
I can see if someone racked up over 5gigs of data, it might throw up a red flag but not enough to get a call accusing you of rooting a phone. He hasn't tethered so I can't see any way of knowing he has root access. I have been to 3 local stores since I got my droid and in every one there has been an employee with a rooted phone. They can't keep their employees from having a rooted phone in their store but they have the ability to see if we are? I don't think so
Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk[/quote]

OP
S

spawn9859

Reaction score
Any idea why my billl would be 600 dollars then? I just checked again, unlimited data and texting and ony about 275 of my 2100 minutes are used. Could this be a mistake on Verizons part?

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
is it a business account or regular. because if you using it for business and all your lines are on there then it will be 600. Other then that you should not have that high of a bill

OP
S

spawn9859

Reaction score
is it a business account or regular. because if you using it for business and all your lines are on there then it will be 600. Other then that you should not have that high of a bill

its a business acount but our bills are seperate since we pay our own, but I guess ill find out when the actual bill comes in, I just got the 600 dollars because someone from Verizon called to notidpfy us of the bill.

BigMcGuire

Reaction score
Let us know when you get the bill. Scan it in or take a picture of it (use strips of paper to hide addresses etc...). Pretty sure this is a co-worker playing a trick on you. I did something similar to this to one of my friends too.

Last edited:

BadWolf

Reaction score
punkd.jpg

Two reasons why I think you got Punk'd.

1. Verizon can't tell if you're rooted and overclocked.

2. Verizon would never ever warn a customer of excessive charges.

forkup

Reaction score
I don't understand why you haven't called CS and asked.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
punkd.jpg

Two reasons why I think you got Punk'd.

1. Verizon can't tell if you're rooted and overclocked.

2. Verizon would never ever warn a customer of excessive charges.

They sure nuff don't Instead of calling you and telling you that you bust through your plan, they will let you rack up charges. You wont notice until you check your bill online/paperbill. At that point you are p'd and calling them up giving them a piece..... It would actually be nice if they had an auto notification set up when you are about to bust through your current plan so you can change and not accrue a bunch of charges.
Check your bill online.

Taegost

Reaction score
I don't understand why you haven't called CS and asked.

Yeah, I agree with this response... We have no idea how your bill could be that high.
Our Family plan is about $650 per month, and I know why... Do you, without me telling you?
Look at the paper statement, or if you can't see that, log into your account on VZW. If you don't have the account password, you can register your line using your phone number and create your own login that will let you see all the info that pertains to you, such as data usage, additional charges, etc.
There's also a My Verizon app on the marketplace that is put out by VZW.

OP
S

spawn9859

Reaction score
I figured it out and it ended up being the stupid "Bluff my Call" app. Since ours is a business account when you charge something it goes straight to the bill and for ever call made it adds $9.99. Even though it says up at the top "2 Minute free call mode." It never said anything about additional charges it just did it.