Rooting and Unrooting/ Warranty.

EsotericOCP

Reaction score
Greetings everyone. I have come to understand that rooting your Droid voids the warranty, what i would kindly like to know is, can a rooted Droid be unrooted, if so. will that give me back the warranty? Thanks

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
And I can verify that I just recently unrooted and sent back my Droid for a defective volume button and they sent me a replacement without any issues whatsoever... in fact they were supposed to send me a refurbished one but instead sent me a brand spankin' new one as my replacement, in the new box w/ a new battery and new microSD card, both of which they let me keep... how's that for making you feel at ease?..lol... true story

OP
E

EsotericOCP

Reaction score
thats great information aswell, thank you very much. I might consider rooting it, i would like to have 2.2 Froyo on my Moto Droid. Any tips on rooting it?

One more thing, if I brick it, do you think i can send it back? Maybe by telling them it fell in the water or something like that.

Last edited:

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
thats great information aswell, thank you very much. I might consider rooting it, i would like to have 2.2 Froyo on my Moto Droid. Any tips on rooting it?

One more thing, if I brick it, do you think i can send it back? Maybe by telling them it fell in the water or something like that.

Only if you have Assurion... if you only have the VZW extended warranty (which was what I had for $1.99 extr5a per month) then they won't.... but you can pretty much recover the Droid from almost any state, unless you have a hardware failure, which is highly unlikely just from rooting.

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
As for tips.....

Always have a backup, made by either SPRecovery or ClockWorkMod recovery......

Always wipe data when switching ROMs, unless you are flashing a newer version of the same ROM....

Themes and overclocking kernels do not need to have data wiped....

Some themes are only for certain ROMs......

uLV kernels aren't always the best for all Droids, my Droid and ROM runs far more efficient running a MV kernel...

OP
E

EsotericOCP

Reaction score
Thanks, it sounds quite Complicated, i will think about rooting my phone, to see if its worth it. I'm not sure exactly why I want to root it, dont really know what i will get out of it, but if I do, i will keep your info in mind. Thanks again.

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
With Froyo about to be released sometime down the line, you probably really don't need to.... unless you want full control of your Droid...

713King

Reaction score
of course he needs to root, he is missing out all the fun in trying out roms and how much better they are than stock and plus the ugly gray notification bar that stock has

misfyre

Reaction score
With Froyo about to be released sometime down the line, you probably really don't need to.... unless you want full control of your Droid...

untrue, once official 2.2 comes devs will take it and morph it into super 2.2...