New Swype Beta!

Status
Not open for further replies.

uflraptor

Reaction score
I don't know how I missed the email in my inbox about this but I just installed the new Swype.

I love this program. By far the best thing I have downloaded to my Droid.

I find myself using the slide out keyboard less everyday.

Reaction score
When i go to install i get a parsing error in my download. I dont have the previous swype installer on my phone. I don't want to unistall the actual application with the fear of actually losing the app. Anyone get this error? Having the actual app should not create a parsing error i dont believe.

hayaku

Reaction score
A new version of the Swype Beta is out. Here are the improvements...

Added better context sensitivity for the “magic button” (go/search/enter/smiley)
Added automatic apostrophe insertion for contractions (e.g. won't, don't, wasn't, etc)
Added the Italian language dictionary
Improved sensing of field type to prevent the display and addition of passwords to the UDB (user dictionary)
Improved suppression of auto-spacing in fields such as URLs and email addresses
Updated the built-in dictionary to include several common words that were previously missing
Rewrote some settings descriptions to be more clear on their functionality
Fixed licensing issue causing “Limited Functionality” errors when rebooting devices running Android 2.0 and later
Fixed licensing issue causing some users to receive an “Incorrect ID” error when installing Swype
Fixed a bug where manually typing some words with word-prediction enabled would cause Swype to crash
Fixed a bug which caused some words added to the UDB to erroneously override other words when word-prediction is enabled
Many other minor bug fixes!

some other noticeable changes:
- keyboard has a tab button (long press on the space bar)
- no more errors after rebooting, swype works fine again
- swype keyboard listed above android keyboard in both input method selection list and keyboard settings list.

y0manda

Reaction score
Just got the email an got ago too. wanted to wait and are how the new installs went guess ill give out a shot

y0manda

Reaction score
Installed and seems to work just as good if not better heh.

OyVOid

Reaction score
I got my email notification this morning and installed it with no problem at all. Works great! I don't use my physical keyboard at all.

OP
B

billyk

Reaction score
For the previous poster:

I got a parse error at first as well. I chucked the downloaded file, made double sure that I had uninstalled Swype AND the installer, chucked all Swype-related files in my download folder and then restarted.

Then I downloaded from the email again, making sure I had a good signal (no interrupts) and it installed perfectly.

Hope that helps.

FSTTYMS

Reaction score
I want ot back up the old version somehow before I DL the new one. Any advice how to make that work??

LifeIsABeach

Reaction score
I want ot back up the old version somehow before I DL the new one. Any advice how to make that work??

The original Swype apk should be on your SD card. Mine was under a directory called downloads. It is also in several threads on this forum.

To anyone having problems installing: Originally I got a "This is not an Adroid device" error when trying to install. It was because I was using SkyFire with User Agent set to Desktop. Opened the download link in the default browser and all was okay.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score

The original Swype apk should be on your SD card. Mine was under a directory called downloads. It is also in several threads on this forum.

To anyone having problems installing: Originally I got a "This is not an Adroid device" error when trying to install. It was because I was using SkyFire with User Agent set to Desktop. Opened the download link in the default browser and all was okay.

+1 on this comment. I seldom use the stock browser unless I'm doing something like downloading software such as Swype. Typically it will make no difference but developers sometimes code to a particular (usually stock) configuration and it can make a difference.

Schimm

Reaction score
This newest Swype is much better IMO......stopped using the first beta because it seemed so inaccurate for me.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
I am sooooo bummed. i have been registered with Swype since the first beta but was not given this beta to test. I love swype and wish I could get it again!!!

:icon_ cry::icon_ cry:

I received an email yesterday morning. My wife's did not arrive until last night. I'm not sure how large the beta community is but you may still get an email. They may be spacing them to avoid overwhelming their server.

If you don't, I suggest you drop the folks at Swype an email. I doubt seriously that they've selected only a subset of people in the beta group to update to the newest version. There would be no advantage to having beta testers on two different versions of the software.

For that matter, if you're in the beta test group, I'm guessing you could follow the instructions posted on the thread dealing with this topic on the apps page and you could update to the newest version.

b0n3s

Reaction score
I am sooooo bummed. i have been registered with Swype since the first beta but was not given this beta to test. I love swype and wish I could get it again!!!

:icon_ cry::icon_ cry:

No worries just login on their site and resend the download link. That worked for me:)

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
the new Beta seems to have definitely improved Swype. Accuracy has improved.

Status
Not open for further replies.