New Razr Software Update NOT ICS...

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I agree with all comments. What bothers me are two things. First, the seemingly irresponsible spread of unsubstantiated information. (There's plenty of blame to go around). Second, we all bought into the idea of buying a 'powerful' device ... and paid for it when dishing out for a dual core processor. But here we sit with half of the processing power disabled.. GB does not support dual core (correct me if I'm wrong). This is why I anxiously wait for 4.0. It should open up the possibilities for this device. Yes.. it is a great device today.. arguably the best I've ever had (and I've had them all). But I would like to explore these expanded possibilities before the phone has reached its end of life.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

The issue you bring up of the lack of dual-core support with Gingerbread 2.3 ties in nicely with a report back in February where there was a reported Viewsonic rep indicating a GB 2.4 version (with updated Kernal which includes key parts of Honeycomb's Kernal to support dual-core along with tablet support), coming in April and to cencide with the release of their tablet. The codename, GRI17 (Gingerbread post-Honeycomb, aka “Ice Cream”), is apparently what the project was being called. Leaked images of the Sony Ericsson XPERIA Arc from before February showed the phone running v2.4.

See Android 2.4 coming April, leaving 2.3 dead on arrival - not Ice Cream - Pocket-lint.

Accordingly there is indication in many sources that this soak test/update that's apparently coming is NOT Version 4, Ice Cream Sandwich, but instead is the 2.4 above to bring this and some other Gingerbread devices in line with the release of the Viewsonic tab.

Right now, the android sdk (2.3) apparently provides no means to use more than one CPU core for full OS support, however information on versions as early as 2.3.3 indicate it does have an overlay that offers limited dual-core support. If your phone has a 2nd core available, then according to that report it will move the Garbage Collector onto the 2nd core which means there will be a lot less lag in applications and games when the GC fires off to remove unused resources. Source: http:/ /developer.android.com/sdk/android-2.3-highlights.html, under the 'enhancements to games' section.

There is however conflicting information in that apparently at least one report says real dual-core support was added in 2.3.3. Still, this disagrees with yet another source that is really the ONLY source I can find of "improved" (albeit not complete) support for dual-core processors which goes all the way back to August of 2011 and it's a mod to the official HTC Sensation ROM. The ROM is Android 2.3.4 Gingerbread from the official HTC RUU 1.45.401.2, which includes HTC Sense 3.0. The source for that information comes from First HTC Sensation ROM With Enabled Full Dual-Core Support | xda-developers.

There is little information that has any mention of SDK 2.3 and Dual or Core in the same results, which further fuels my belief that this Kernel (2.6.35.7-g61e2522) doesn't support both cores (at least not independently and in unison).

So

Last edited:

devdeuce

Reaction score
I'm telling you guys... December 22, 2012 will the the Razr ICS release date.

That's why the Mayan calendar stops on the 21st. They were predicting that a bug in the ics update will cause the calendar not to function anymore.

xiogua

Reaction score
That's why the Mayan calendar stops on the 21st. They were predicting that a bug in the ics update will cause the calendar not to function anymore.

Does that mean the world will force close?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

jrpbulk

Reaction score
Xio,

You stole my line, delete it so I can post it first.

My Razr is great, no issues to speak of, yet I still want ICS today. Used it on my ASUS transformer prime.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

dwagner88

Reaction score
Just FYI for people who are new to this, a rumor will start saying that ICS is coming next week, or tomorrow etc. People will believe this rumor, even if Verizon or Moto doesn't confirm it. Then people get REALLY pissed off when the update doesn't come. They say " I will never buy a device from XXX manufacturer again!" and generally throw a childish fit. They when Verizon inevitably releases the update a few weeks later, they will pull it after a few hours because of complications. You will get your ICS sometime this summer. Maybe.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Just FYI for people who are new to this, a rumor will start saying that ICS is coming next week, or tomorrow etc. People will believe this rumor, even if Verizon or Moto doesn't confirm it. Then people get REALLY pissed off when the update doesn't come. They say " I will never buy a device from XXX manufacturer again!" and generally throw a childish fit. They when Verizon inevitably releases the update a few weeks later, they will pull it after a few hours because of complications. You will get your ICS sometime this summer. Maybe.

Way to let all the hot air out of our over-inflated balloons of hope and optimism!:blink:

JK! ;)

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
The best and surest way to get an ice cream sandwich fix;
Go to www.Kraft recipes/icecreamsanwich and buy the necessary ingredients to accomplish the feat.
And enjoy while waiting.

BumperTrash

Reaction score

I was just hoping that it would finally come out... told when i bought my RAZR that the ics would be coming out soon... that was at the end of January

SENT FROM MY DROID RAZR

Brostrom4

Reaction score
So...I've been trying to track with what some of you guys are saying about GB really only using one core with limited dual core action...going off that, is this next update which we got the soak test about supposed to be a version of GB that will finally fully utilize both cores? It must be some type of precursor to ICS...kinda like a prerequisite...right? Correct me if I'm wrong

Im really want ICS, but im more than willing to wait. GB is smooth right now, and this next update before ICS should make it better. It will be perfect when it comes.

devdeuce

Reaction score

I'm telling

T

TheAlpha

The issue you bring up of the lack of dual-core support with Gingerbread 2.3 ties in nicely with a report back in February where there was a reported Viewsonic rep indicating a GB 2.4 version (with updated Kernal which includes key parts of Honeycomb's Kernal to support dual-core along with tablet support), coming in April and to cencide with the release of their tablet. The codename, GRI17 (Gingerbread post-Honeycomb, aka “Ice Cream”), is apparently what the project was being called. Leaked images of the Sony Ericsson XPERIA Arc from before February showed the phone running v2.4.

See Android 2.4 coming April, leaving 2.3 dead on arrival - not Ice Cream - Pocket-lint.

Accordingly there is indication in many sources that this soak test/update that's apparently coming is NOT Version 4, Ice Cream Sandwich, but instead is the 2.4 above to bring this and some other Gingerbread devices in line with the release of the Viewsonic tab.

Right now, the android sdk (2.3) apparently provides no means to use more than one CPU core for full OS support, however information on versions as early as 2.3.3 indicate it does have an overlay that offers limited dual-core support. If your phone has a 2nd core available, then according to that report it will move the Garbage Collector onto the 2nd core which means there will be a lot less lag in applications and games when the GC fires off to remove unused resources. Source: http:/ /developer.android.com/sdk/android-2.3-highlights.html, under the 'enhancements to games' section.

There is however conflicting information in that apparently at least one report says real dual-core support was added in 2.3.3. Still, this disagrees with yet another source that is really the ONLY source I can find of "improved" (albeit not complete) support for dual-core processors which goes all the way back to August of 2011 and it's a mod to the official HTC Sensation ROM. The ROM is Android 2.3.4 Gingerbread from the official HTC RUU 1.45.401.2, which includes HTC Sense 3.0. The source for that information comes from First HTC Sensation ROM With Enabled Full Dual-Core Support | xda-developers.

There is little information that has any mention of SDK 2.3 and Dual or Core in the same results, which further fuels my belief that this Kernel (2.6.35.7-g61e2522) doesn't support both cores (at least not independently and in unison).

So

Now closing.