My LEGO Multimedia Dock (pics)

Oohyeah

Reaction score
I thought I would share pics of the multimedia dock I made from lego this morning, after being inspired to do so from this thread:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-hacks/2425-how-diy-media-car-dock-2.html#post33211

I had some spare time this morning so I dug out my daughter's Lego bricks to try to make one. Most of hers were the big type (Duplo) so they weren't any good for this, but found a small stack of cheap non-lego bricks. With just the limited bricks I had, I managed to create this after about 10 minutes:

(btw, sorry for all the crap in the background!)

droid-dock-3.jpg

droid-dock-4.jpg

And this is how it looks with the Droid (actually a Milestone) on it, running DockRunner!

droid-dock-1.jpg

droid-dock-2.jpg

The great thing about these docks are:

1. It can accommodate the charging cable

2. It can accommodate protective covers, like the Seidio I'm using.

3. You can leave the keyboard open (I love the keyboard, btw. When a text message comes in, I can quickly do a reply on the keyboard.

4. The charging cable is still 'loose', so I can still leave it plugged in even if I take it off the dock to answer a call, etc.

I didn't bother putting a magnet in cos DockRunner is easy enough to activate. Maybe one day I'll paint it black or something though.

Hope it helps anyone wanting to make one too!

Last edited:

stuhasdroid

Reaction score
Really easy and convenient

Yep, this is just so easy and convenient.

I read on the market for downloading Dockrunner someone warned that 2.1 presents a problem. This is why I don't want to run pre-GA code on my Droid.

So many are reporting Dockrunner works as designed with 2.01so I went ahead and downloaded and find it works as designed.

Lego's and Dockrunner satisfy my needs.

Peace,

OP
Oohyeah

Oohyeah

Reaction score
Yeah, not to mention no-cost, and something you can get in just a few minutes without having to wait for something to be shipped to you!

What are the problems with Dockrunner on 2.1?

MInkyboi

Reaction score
you could also hot glue a magnet to the legos so that you dont even need dockrunner

OP
Oohyeah

Oohyeah

Reaction score
I could, but actually I'm finding that I'm not using Dockrunner that often. Most of the time, when plugged in and put on the dock, I would prefer not running dockrunner so that everything can be accessed more quickly. It gets put into landscape automatically anyway with the slider keyboard out.

Pdigg

Reaction score
It gets put into landscape automatically anyway with the slider keyboard out.

For some reason, out of no where, my droid is now going to landscape mode on the home screen with the keyboard in also. Not complaining since this is what I wanted it to do since day one.

Was wondering if anyone else was experiencing the same?

Edit: Oh, and awesome doc man.

Last edited:
OP
Oohyeah

Oohyeah

Reaction score

For some reason, out of no where, my droid is now going to landscape mode on the home screen with the keyboard in also. Not complaining since this is what I wanted it to do since day one.

Did you just install a Home app like Home++?

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/te...ndscape-desktop-without-opening-keyboard.html

Pdigg

Reaction score

Did you just install a Home app like Home++?

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/te...ndscape-desktop-without-opening-keyboard.html

I've been running home++ for about 4 weeks now. I wonder what I changed to make it start rotating last night for the first time.

Thanks for clearing that up for me though!

OP
Oohyeah

Oohyeah

Reaction score
Funny you should say that, cos as it just so happens...

droid-dock-5.jpg

And that ain't no ordinary lego flash memory either.

LOOK CLOSELY:

droid-dock-6.jpg

:p:p:p

trainryche

Reaction score
reply to landscape only

Sorry don't yet know how to cut & paste on this thing. The answer to the previous question about always being in lanscape even when closed is in settings there is a toggle for landscape only.

naman919

Reaction score
Funny you should say that, cos as it just so happens...

droid-dock-5.jpg

And that ain't no ordinary lego flash memory either.

LOOK CLOSELY:

droid-dock-6.jpg

:p:p:p

Whoa. is that a prototype? Why is there a cutout on your top bezel where the mic area is? How can you plug a usb drive into that?!

Am i crazy? :icon_eek: