Developing multimedia dock- need input

skidemn

Reaction score
Don't get too excited yet, we are planning to revamp our iPod multimedia dock to create an Android version but are just at the beginning stages. I've attached a photo of the iPod version we made previously and I would like input from the Forum members as to what features you want added and which are less important from a cost savings standpoint. Keep in mind we are still researching hardware and what will be required to add features like remote control, etc. since I did not see native support for it in the Google development info, so please use this thread as a wishlist and we'll see what can be done.

Here's the features we started with for iPods and are product plan base for an Android dock:
-A/V Dock with audio and video out plus charging
-16-function IR wireless remote control-Connects directly to your home computer via a micro-USB cable (not included)
-Includes RCA and composite video cables to connect to your home stereo; S-video cables optional. (Video output may or may not be available depending on phone hardware and required app development to support it)

-Included AC adapter

DriodDude

Reaction score
I definitely like the remote control if you can do that. Also battery slots would be nice it we want to take it somewhere, camping, etc.

Also, if the micro USB cable is not the one that comes with your phone, it should be included and a low price on the required app would be nice.

Last edited:

mbrown1253

Reaction score
I definitely think a spot for a second battery to be stored and charged at the same time would make this an instant buy for me. Also, make it so it will work with our phones in the case too. I assume that the dock will put the phone horizontally due to the location of the charging port on the phone. The magnet that puts the phone into the multimedia dock would make this dock absolutely perfect for me. I'm very excited for this - Please PM me or post where I could buy this.

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Rechargable batteries are a must!! yay i'm so excited for this. although i would be more excited if you were creating an adaptor to plug our phones into our current ipod players i.e. my bose dock :D

camcrobe

Reaction score
I think it would be important to be somewhat adjustable slot/size to accommodate different cases. My guess is that many folks are staying away from the OEM docks because they don't want to keep taking their cases (some which are difficult to remove) off their device every time they want to plop it in the dock.

OP
skidemn

skidemn

Reaction score
I think it would be important to be somewhat adjustable slot/size to accommodate different cases. My guess is that many folks are staying away from the OEM docks because they don't want to keep taking their cases (some which are difficult to remove) off their device every time they want to plop it in the dock.

It will absolutely work with cases on the Droid. We used a sliding back brace on the iPod version to accommodate different thickness cases, and we would do something similar with this one. The rate at which Android phones are now being introduced is amazing, so we want to make sure it will work with more than just the Droid.

Since this is more a multimedia dock rather than a desktop charger, is the second battery charging really that important? Do you mind giving up extra real estate for the space required to hold the battery?

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
my music is on my computer at home and plays thru my bose. so yes a portable rechargeable dock is ALL I'd be interested in. I've got so many docks that needed plugged in and only use the portable one so I learned to never buy another that I can't take with on a picnic, beach, etc.

shawndream

Reaction score
- Dock adjustable to fit phones naked or in cases of varying thickness.
- Charging location adjustable to fit multiple phones
- Firmware updatable
- Bluetooth remote that doubles as a handset for call answer and call making.
- Ability to use the dock as speakerphone.

... that is after all, my phone over there playing music, not just an ipod.

A general dock costs a bit more, but benefits me as a user many ways:

- provides additional functionality
- allows me to update my phone
- more likely to become popular = easier to replace/repair/use

Android is historically weak in regards to bluetooth access for calls, but this is the top issue now so strides should be made soon and the phones will catch up to your dock. Also the droid is easy to root, so if you need to install a custom bluetooth driver initially that wouldn't be a big deal, and the basic dock functionality should be easy now and later.

kinderadam

Reaction score
definitely video and audio out capabilities, and mabey even hdmi or the hd composite cables would be nice to display those high def videos you can play on the droids amazing screen. also, a glossier finish like the current official dock for looks. also, if it could some how wirelessly, or even with wires, sync with your pc (and definitely don't forget about macs), that would be great... all of that plus what others said above..... didnt want to repeat any... thanks.... keep me posted on how the dock is coming along, definitely interested.
MY EMAIL

mbrown1253

Reaction score
I am positive you know more about multimedia docks and docks in general than I do. But, I am just suggesting that while you first started off thinking about a multimedia dock, you should also consider making this an all purpose dock. This dock could literally be the last dock you would ever have to buy. I would have no problem if this dock was the size of say... the original iHome. Does this need to be an alarm clock with radio capabilities? No, let the dock have speakers and let us play music through them from our phone. If you are against making this an all in one dock and strictly a multimedia dock, then how about making a second dock? This dock could be a desktop dock so I can throw my OEM one away. Hell, make three. Make the third one be this all in one dock that I am dreaming and drooling over as I type.

Let's see what we want for strictly a multimedia dock:

-Nice glossy finish such as the OEM dock
-Remote control access
-Ability to dock the phone with or without a case
-Speakers to play out music from either the music player or apps such as Pandora
-HDMI, HD Composite, regular Red/White/Yellow, or 3.5mm audio cable connection with a "yellow video cable". (Listed from best to worse)
-Charges the phone
-Connection to computer

Maybes for this dock:

-Battery powered as well as wall charger
-Buttons on the dock to control the phone
-Uses Micro USB cable for power rather than any other cables
-Magnet to trigger multimedia dock app

Now if you WERE to make a desktop dock:

-Charges the phone
-Connection to computer
-Second battery charger

--Can't really think of any maybes for such a dock

Now, for the dock I would buy in a heartbeat (as long as the price isn't through the roof):

-Remote control access
-Speakers to play out music from either the music player or apps such as Pandora
-Second battery charger
-HDMI, HD Composite, regular Red/White/Yellow, or 3.5mm audio cable connection with a "yellow video cable" or S-Video cable. (Listed from best to worse IMO)
-Charges the phone
-Connection to computer via OEM charging cable (Micro USB one side, regular on other)
-Battery Powered as well as cable mentioned above (Battery powered still charges phone)

**shawndream mentioned that he/she would like the dock to have the ability to be used for speakerphone
**kinderadam mentioned the ability to sync with the computer wirelessly

I think both would be very nice on the multimedia or all in one dock, but for me, neither are essential. I'm sure many others WOULD find them essential. I don't think the magnet to trigger the multimedia station app is "essential." There is an app out there, I believe it is $0.99 that triggers the multimedia station app or whatever you would like to call it whenever the phone is plugged in. I will be sure to edit this if anyone else would like to add to it. Send me a PM if there is absolutely anything I can do to help with this project.

droid3d

Reaction score
you could even add blue LEDs and some brushed aluminum for mood lighting at night :icon_ banana: