Multimedia Desktop and Car Dock for Thunderbolt

Reaction score
i see people mentioning different car dock apps...are these available in the market or is it something you have to be rooted for? (I don't know why but I'm hesitating rooting this one, lol)

No need to Root. The Market car dock apps kind of act like a Home/Launcher app in that your phone will ask if you want to use the Stock Car Dock app, or the one you installed from the market.

I purchased "Car Home" from the market (should be a free/Beta as well). I love the customization levels and all the cool little features.

dbrown8579

Reaction score
i see people mentioning different car dock apps...are these available in the market or is it something you have to be rooted for? (I don't know why but I'm hesitating rooting this one, lol)

No need to Root. The Market car dock apps kind of act like a Home/Launcher app in that your phone will ask if you want to use the Stock Car Dock app, or the one you installed from the market.

I purchased "Car Home" from the market (should be a free/Beta as well). I love the customization levels and all the cool little features.

Thanks! just purchased it on your recommendation, can't wait to go somewhere and try it now, lol

dbrown8579

Reaction score

Thanks! just purchased it on your recommendation, can't wait to go somewhere and try it now, lol

Peschon

Reaction score
OP
guitarchris123
Reaction score
Another multimedia dock is available here for $35, much cheaper than the $60 VZW price:

Cradle Desktop Dock Dual Charger w/ Smart Charge for HTC Thunderbolt

Note that this is different from the OEM HTC dock that originally surfaced (pictured in first post). Check the pictures to see the difference. Still not sure if this one has an HDMI port or not...can anyone confirm? My guess would be that this just charges and syncs with a computer, no HDMI port (but its hard to tell from the picture).

Attachments

• WX-CRADLETHUNDERB-2T.jpg
    WX-CRADLETHUNDERB-2T.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 497
  • WX-CRADLETHUNDERB-3T.jpg
    WX-CRADLETHUNDERB-3T.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 503
Reaction score
I found this at an Wal-Mart in my area. While Walmart.com says $12.86 the one I went to had it for $9.88 which is a rare to see the price in store lower then their website. I'm using this right now for my alarm clock which works great. The picture below I took is with Bedside running.

griffindock1.jpg

Hopefully once I get my left angle micro USB cable from Tiger Direct then this will be a perfect setup.

Griffin Travel Stand @ Walmart.com

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I found this at an Wal-Mart in my area. While Walmart.com says $12.86 the one I went to had it for $9.88 which is a rare to see the price in store lower then their website. I'm using this right now for my alarm clock which works great. The picture below I took is with Bedside running.

griffindock1.jpg

Hopefully once I get my left angle micro USB cable from Tiger Direct then this will be a perfect setup.

Griffin Travel Stand @ Walmart.com
What do you mean by a left angle microUSB? Sorry, just not sure.

And, I like your Wal Mart stand too. What I've been doing at night is popping open the kickstand, putting it on charge, and having the phone slightly over the edge where the USB cable is and haven't had any problem yet, but still waiting for the official dock with the HDMI.

bennyj

Reaction score
I just open up the kickstand and leave my phone standing vertical. Charger port is wide open.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

envirosciguy

Reaction score
This looks promising for HDMI.

The dock also includes micro USB, HDMI port and a 3.5 mm headphone jack.

HTC Thunderbolt Multimedia Dock Disappears From Verizon’s Website |TechieWarehouse.com Blog

---and this---

• Accessories Supported: HDMI Adapter, Wireless Charging , Extended Battery (3.7VDC, 2750mAh), Audio
Adapter, Car Kit, Car Charger, Mono BT Headset, Standard Battery, USB Sync Cable, AC Adapter, Simple Pouch

http://developer.verizon.com/downloads/OEM_PDF/HTC_Thunderbolt.pdf

Nice find. I've been looking for confirmation of the HDMI.

monolithic

Reaction score
Any way you can post pics of how you mounted the phone on your bike? I want to mount the phone on my RC51 for track days. Ill post some killer video if you put them up, haha.

That bike is BAD-ASS!

I've wanted one forever.

M.

Reaction score
Arkon Windsheild & Dash Car Mount Dock

Anyone have any experience with this? Obviously it's not going to auto-switch the phone to car mode, but it also looks like it's not going to scratch the phone nor FUBAR the USB port.

M.

I never had a "stock" car mount mess up my phone (in fact, quite the opposite). The only advantage (IMHO) of this one is that you can put the phone with the extended battery, or if you have a different phone than your spouse/significant other and both want to mount your phones in the same car.

Reaction score
Figured out a temp solution to the AUX cable in car dock for less than $2.

My extension cable with Microphone arrived today (didn't know that it was from Hong Kong)!

I called my wife from my phone while it was in the Car Dock and she could hear me perfectly! Also, I noticed that the button on the mic cable will play/pause music when I press it! Now I just have to figure out a way to route the cables so that it remains a "clean" look and I am good to go until (hopefully) a hotfix is released.

nefariousity

Reaction score
This looks promising for HDMI.
The dock also includes micro USB, HDMI port and a 3.5 mm headphone jack.
HTC Thunderbolt Multimedia Dock Disappears From Verizon’s Website |TechieWarehouse.com Blog
---and this---
• Accessories Supported: HDMI Adapter, Wireless Charging , Extended Battery (3.7VDC, 2750mAh), Audio
Adapter, Car Kit, Car Charger, Mono BT Headset, Standard Battery, USB Sync Cable, AC Adapter, Simple Pouch

http://developer.verizon.com/downloads/OEM_PDF/HTC_Thunderbolt.pdf

Man, I really hope this happens. Ever since Zodttd released ps4droid (Playstation 1 emulator) for free, I've been itching to play it on my TV with a wiimote.