Multimedia Desktop and Car Dock for Thunderbolt

mobileT83

Reaction score
I went to the local VZW store to purchase the dock and he said they'd have to order it and would get it in 2 business days. He then said that it is not available in any VZW areas yet. Has anyone purchased a dock yet? If so, where did you get it?

No, not yet. I don't care for the HDMI out...DLNA will do the job... but 60 bucks is pretty steep.

What year is your 1600.... I have an 06 Meanstreak that I can't wait to get back on the road, weather is starting to look better and better here in MA

T

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I went to the local VZW store to purchase the dock and he said they'd have to order it and would get it in 2 business days. He then said that it is not available in any VZW areas yet. Has anyone purchased a dock yet? If so, where did you get it?

No, not yet. I don't care for the HDMI out...DLNA will do the job... but 60 bucks is pretty steep.

What year is your 1600.... I have an 06 Meanstreak that I can't wait to get back on the road, weather is starting to look better and better here in MA

T
Come on down to Lancaster, PA and we'll go riding sometime. I have a 2008 Vulcan 1600. We had beautiful weather on Friday (79 deg), so I rode home from work at lunch and took the Vulcan back to work for the rest of the day. Can't wait for riding season!

Ok, so I went out and bought the Car Dock and just got back home. I like the idea that you can keep the charger plugged into the car dock, and it has a surface mount option, so if you're like me you want your TB closer to you and not so far in the distance on the window. I opted for the surface mounting and it was really nice. I compare this to my previous car dock which was for my Droid, which I really didn't use after a while for the reasons I like the TB dock.

A couple of observations with the car dock. First thing, there's no obstruction so you could be driving along and recording or take pictures with the phone in the dock. I don't know how useful that will be for me, but others might be glad to know it's not obstructed by the dock case.

One thing I'm not fond of, and that is apparently there's no magnets so the phone doesn't go into car dock mode when you put it into the car dock. I know from being on DF the past 18 months that some hated the car dock mode so those people might be happy to hear this.

Lastly, since the Multimedia Dock will be about $60 and not available yet, I was thinking, why not use it as a nightstand dock? With my 25% accessory discount I got my car dock for under $24. Just an idea, and not sure if I'll try it myself actually but it was a thought. Heck, since you can record while inside the dark, you could record, well umm, never mind. :)

mobileT83

Reaction score
Just push down a little bit harder and you will lock into car mode. Bit scary the first time.

Today cooled off a bit, maybe I can take the bike out this week... Looking forward to above 70 degree weather here

T
Come on down to Lancaster, PA and we'll go riding sometime. I have a 2008 Vulcan 1600. We had beautiful weather on Friday (79 deg), so I rode home from work at lunch and took the Vulcan back to work for the rest of the day. Can't wait for riding season!

Ok, so I went out and bought the Car Dock and just got back home. I like the idea that you can keep the charger plugged into the car dock, and it has a surface mount option, so if you're like me you want your TB closer to you and not so far in the distance on the window. I opted for the surface mounting and it was really nice. I compare this to my previous car dock which was for my Droid, which I really didn't use after a while for the reasons I like the TB dock.

A couple of observations with the car dock. First thing, there's no obstruction so you could be driving along and recording or take pictures with the phone in the dock. I don't know how useful that will be for me, but others might be glad to know it's not obstructed by the dock case.

One thing I'm not fond of, and that is apparently there's no magnets so the phone doesn't go into car dock mode when you put it into the car dock. I know from being on DF the past 18 months that some hated the car dock mode so those people might be happy to hear this.

Lastly, since the Multimedia Dock will be about $60 and not available yet, I was thinking, why not use it as a nightstand dock? With my 25% accessory discount I got my car dock for under $24. Just an idea, and not sure if I'll try it myself actually but it was a thought. Heck, since you can record while inside the dark, you could record, well umm, never mind. :)

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums App

stuigi

Reaction score
I got my cardock in Allentown PA VZ. A word of warning though. The usb connector that the phone slips into has little nibs that lock it onto the phone. Makes it very difficult to remove without using 2 hands. I ended up using a Dremel and ground them off. Now the phone just slips right in and out without any difficuly at all

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I got my cardock in Allentown PA VZ. A word of warning though. The usb connector that the phone slips into has little nibs that lock it onto the phone. Makes it very difficult to remove without using 2 hands. I ended up using a Dremel and ground them off. Now the phone just slips right in and out without any difficuly at all
I might do the same thing. I now have two car docks, one in the car, and the other I mounted with the suction cup on my motorcycle windshield. I know that it's not a very good idea, however I have a bag that I have also on the windshield that I keep things like my headset, car charger, etc. in and it has a little handle on it. So, I took a zip tie and zip tied the car dock to the little handle, so if it comes off, it won't go flying in the air at 70 mph. It was nice too that using Car Dashboard how the motorcycle speedometer really is off about 10% from the speedometer and the actual speed. For example if my speedometer said 70 mph, I was really only going about 63 mph according to the GPS. This is something I've known about for a few years, but was confirmed yesterday when I took the bike for a spin.

I think I am going to purchase a multimedia dock still, especially since my TV doesn't have the DNLI capabilities but does have HDMI, so the dock will work with my TV sets in the house then.

BillTheCat

Reaction score

This must be the reason that it seems my TB doesn't sit 100% flat/flush in its dock, and I get power, but no Car Mode. I must need to jam it in there. Or better yet, bust out the Dremel.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

This must be the reason that it seems my TB doesn't sit 100% flat/flush in its dock, and I get power, but no Car Mode. I must need to jam it in there. Or better yet, bust out the Dremel.
I'd like to do that on my dock in the car (the motorcycle I want to keep it), but what's an easy way to bust out the dremel?

roosterbrews

Reaction score
I have the car mount and was playing with it today. I think it has a few glitches in the exchange yet. At first the Nav wouldn't speak then it started speaking but when a call was placed it didn't automaticly go to speaker phone. When I did activate the speaker phone it the sound went through the [hone not the cars speaker. I'll keep playing with it but it worked so nicely on my D1.

Kack

Reaction score
i bought a car dock for my d1 hardly used it but that one didnt charge it. so i looked at the tb car dock felt eh. told the guy at the vzw store who was trying to get me to buy it "nah i dont want to pay $24!" he told me he would sell it to me for $15. so needless to say i walked out with a Tbolt car dock,

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I like the car dock and the fact that you can plug the charger into the dock, unlike on the OG Droid. I tried to do the surface mount on the dash yesterday and today the car dock went crashing down on me. So, it's back up on the window, which I really don't like. It's too far away for my comfort level (near sighted/bi-focals).

Anyone have an idea of what I could use to seal that sucker better to my dash?

OP
guitarchris123
Reaction score
I like the car dock and the fact that you can plug the charger into the dock, unlike on the OG Droid. I tried to do the surface mount on the dash yesterday and today the car dock went crashing down on me. So, it's back up on the window, which I really don't like. It's too far away for my comfort level (near sighted/bi-focals).

For my Garmin, I have it dash mounted, and it came with a circular plastic disk that you attach to the dash with a sticky adhesive, then stick the suction cup on that. Did the car dock come with something like that? Otherwise, you should look for a small circular disk to attach to the dash, then the car dock to the disk.

funkyb

Reaction score

For my Garmin, I have it dash mounted, and it came with a circular plastic disk that you attach to the dash with a sticky adhesive, then stick the suction cup on that. Did the car dock come with something like that? Otherwise, you should look for a small circular disk to attach to the dash, then the car dock to the disk.

Great idea!