Multimedia Desktop and Car Dock for Thunderbolt

Reaction score
I know someone else already said this (sort of), but the Car Dock interface that comes on the HTC TBolt only gives you 6 programs to use... voice search, Navigation (Google, not VZ Nav), Voice Dial, Google Maps, and a couple of others that I don't recall offhand, but would likely not use.

I use an App called "Car Home" which is very cool and allows you to throw up a few different screens of your own customized shortcuts (3x6). It also shows your speed, location, compass, and weather. After I installed it and popped the phone into the Dock, it asked me what program I wanted to use, so I changed my default to Car Home.

I have two issues with the "stock" car dock application that comes with the phone: 1) You cannot customize the buttons to do something that you use a lot... you can't even customize one of the buttons (like I could with my Droid X). 2) If you need to exit out of the stock Car Dock application, you can't get back into it unless you take the phone out and put it back in. I can't find a shortcut to the program, and unlike the Droid X since it is not magnet activated, it doesn't go back into Car Dock mode when you press the "Home" button.

The dock itself is nice, though I have a hard time getting the phone out of the dock... I may file down the "nubs" that hold the phone in snugly as someone else mentioned.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I agree that Car Home is the best out there, however I wish you could change thy colors of the text like you can with Car Dashboard.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Thndrblt

Reaction score
I got the Thunderbolt hoping that I could use it with my AAXA M2 projector. I was hoping for a simple adapter cable but from what I'm reading here, I'm going to need the dock to connect this to any TV-out device? TIA.

Reaction score
I got the Thunderbolt hoping that I could use it with my AAXA M2 projector. I was hoping for a simple adapter cable but from what I'm reading here, I'm going to need the dock to connect this to any TV-out device? TIA.

Not sure... There is no HDMI port on the phone so *if* there is going to be a TV-out, it would have to be on the Multimedia Dock. I don't know as though anyone has a picture of the back of the Dock yet though.

Thndrblt

Reaction score

Not sure... There is no HDMI port on the phone so *if* there is going to be a TV-out, it would have to be on the Multimedia Dock. I don't know as though anyone has a picture of the back of the Dock yet though.

Fortunately, the projector has HDMI, but I was hoping a cheap cable adapter was available. Maybe in the near future.

atlrus

Reaction score
Got the car dock and love it, mich better than the one for the OGD. The INC had the Car Panel but we were never blessed with an actual dock :(

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums App

Reaction score
I agree that Car Home is the best out there, however I wish you could change thy colors of the text like you can with Car Dashboard.

You can now... just got an update that makes the text color customizable.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

You can now... just got an update that makes the text color customizable.
Ask and you will receive...wow, I thought about the colors being the missing piece of perfection, then I mention it today and a few hours later, there's an update with the color option. Excellent. Thanks for reminding me to update my apps.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ok, here's a couple of pictures of my Car Dock mount on my motorcycle. You'll see a zip tie holding the arm and securing it to the handle of the small bag that is fastened to the windshield. I didn't cut down the zip tie for sake of the pictures, but will be trimmed next time I'm in the garage. I also have the small black rubberband that was used to secure the micro usb connector from unwinding during shipping. I have that so it's attached to the top of my phone and the dock.

IMAG0037.jpg

IMAG0038.jpg

Reaction score
Ok, here's a couple of pictures of my Car Dock mount on my motorcycle. You'll see a zip tie holding the arm and securing it to the handle of the small bag that is fastened to the windshield. I didn't cut down the zip tie for sake of the pictures, but will be trimmed next time I'm in the garage. I also have the small black rubberband that was used to secure the micro usb connector from unwinding during shipping. I have that so it's attached to the top of my phone and the dock.

Too bad that you couldn't mount it higher... then you could take videos as you ride!

Narsil

Silver Member
Reaction score
I wonder if there's an app for time-lapsed photography. That would make for some cool roadtrip videos. :)

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Johnboy I can certainly adjust it but I believe I will be able to take video, I just need to clean off the roadkill. I haven't tried it on the motorcycle, however I did with my car using the DailyRoads Voyager. It takes one minute videos, then switches to a new video. So, in 5 minutes, you'll have 5 videos. I think it will be more interesting using the program while riding versus driving in the cage. Here's a link to a video when trying it out on Sunday. Around the 11 second mark, on the right hand side of the road was a homeless guy wearing a #10 Kordell Stewart football jersey. My wife said she thinks it might have been Kordell himself. We were headed to Rita's for the free italian ice but the line was horrible so I turned around. That's what this uninteresting video shows. I did learn that the TB takes pretty decent video pictures. I took the pictures of the motorcycle mount I did with the TB without flash on. I think it did a good job too.

[video=youtube;V3wKAmWg3c4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3wKAmWg3c4[/video]

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Too bad that you couldn't mount it higher... then you could take videos as you ride!
Do you mean over the top of the windshield? I'm thinking it will do just fine through the windshield. It's supposed to be cold and rainy the rest of the week here in PA, but if it gets just a little nicer over the weekend I'll give it a try. I highly recommend that program for doing the videos since it breaks them up into 1 minute segments.

pistol_pete

Reaction score
Any of you guys that own the car dock- think it's feasible to get it to mount on the vent with a clip with a little workbench modification, or is it too big? I've got a vent mounted holder that I used with my droid 1, but it's too narrow to fit the TB. I was hoping to be able to somehow combine the 2 of them and get the best of both worlds- mount close at hand w/charging built right in. Just can't tell from the pics what the back looks like for sure. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Or a close up pic or 2 ;)