Moto Multimedia Station vs. Sync & Charge Cradle - My Comparo

BrooklynDROID

Reaction score
Let's get right down to it, shall we?

I bought a Sync & Charge desktop cradle from Think:Droid when they were allowing pre-orders back at the end of '09. Due to the wait, I decided to take advantage of one of Verizon's one-day sales and I picked up the OEM Motorola Multimedia Station, also. I figured I could use one at work and one at home. I've been using them both for a few weeks now, and I thought I would give a little comparison for those out there who are looking for a dock/cradle/station.

First, the S&C:
yhst-18444773194121_2090_5010403

What I like:
-This dock is that it has a slot for a 2nd battery, in the case that you want to keep a spare on hand.
-It has a magnet to enable multimedia mode, something that the original design for this dock did not have.
-If you so choose, you can plug in the AC adapter AND the USB cable at the same time, since they have two different ports in the back. This means you can have it docked and charging without having it connected to the computer. With a flick of the "Sync" switch in the front, the computer will recognize it and your Droid is attached to your computer.
-At $25.00, it is less expensive than the Moto dock.

What I don't like:
- It's all plastic, which means it's light. Now, don't confuse this with "cheap", because I think it's a very well-made product. However, if you go to pick up your Droid out of the dock, you have to hold the dock down with your other hand, or the dock is coming with you! This is also due to...
-The micro-usb connection that the Droid makes a tight connection. That's not really a bad thing, but when compared to the OEM, it's sort of a pain (more on that later).

Now, the Motorola Multimedia Station:
yhst-18444773194121_2088_1480242

What I Like:
-First off, it's better looking, IMO. Smaller, more sleek, and with a brushed aluminum veneer on the top side, it compliments the Droid perfectly.
-It's heavier than the S&C, which means that it will stay put on your desk better, and it is easier to take your droid out of it, since...
-The micro-usb connection is not as tight as the S&C, which means it is easier to grab the phone to remove it or place it in the dock.

What I Don't Like:
-It only has a USB connection, so it can either charge from the AC adapter OR the USB in your computer. This may present a problem if your computer goes to sleep, which means that the Droid is no longer charging. Not a huge problem, but something to think about.
-I would have said the price, but VZ sells them for $30.00. $5.00 difference isn't going to break anyone that has purchased a brand-new smartphone!
-It charges the phone, and that's it. Spare battery? Get a separate charger.

So, is one better than the other? Personally, I'm not sure. I like both of them. The Moto dock is better looking, and it's OEM, which means it's widely available. But, the S&C does more at a (slightly) lower price. Keep in mind that neither of these can accommodate a case. For me, that's not an issue.

There you have it. I hope this helps my fellow Droids out there!

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Like most other things better is subjective. I have no need for spare battery charging (YMMV) and I'm happy with the Motorola dock. At least we have options!

GuiltyBreak

Reaction score
looks like you still need to use it with out a case. At least the back portion, I know for the Moto Dock you can slide up the screen to avoid removing the front case everytime while holding the phone really firm still.

OP
BrooklynDROID

BrooklynDROID

Reaction score
looks like you still need to use it with out a case. At least the back portion, I know for the Moto Dock you can slide up the screen to avoid removing the front case everytime while holding the phone really firm still.

Keep in mind that neither of these can accommodate a case.

I can dock my Droid with the front piece of the VZ Shell/Holster combo without issue. The rear must come off, though.