My first impressions of 4.0.4

Fightnfire

Reaction score
First off, I waited for the OTA. After rooting/romming the heck out of my previous phones (OG Droid and Droid X) I decided to let this one sit stock until the OTA dropped. It was a tough wait. Mainly I was tired of having to go back to stock to get the phone ready for an OTA. Easy, but tedious.

My number one issue with my Nexus was the 3g/4g hand off. I live on the fringe of 4g coverage and I work in the heart of it. With 4g enabled, my phone throughout the course of the day would spend 15-20+ % of the time without a signal. When it lost a signal it would take up to 3 minutes to get one back. If I disabled 4g, I would go all day with 0-3% of the time with no signal. Fine it works, but I paid for 4g.

Also, my #2 problem was battery heat and drain. I assume, could be wrong, that with my phone running so hot it prematurely drained the battery. This seemed to be caused by the hand off issue of 3g/4g, and the Android OS, which over the course of the day would always end up #1 in the battery drain. Regularly my phone would "idle" in the high 80's low 90's. If I was streaming iHeartRadio and surfing the web it would regularly get to 100-105.

Both of these issues seem fixed for me.

I fully charged and then fully discharged the battery first. The first full charge lasted 15 hours with minimal to moderate useage. That is with 4g enabled, and that whole time, 15 hours, I had 1-2% without a signal.

All day yesterday, initial charge, and today, second full charge my battery has yet to hit 90 degrees. It is idling in the high 70's and working in the mid 80's. Right now, I'm 6 hours into today's charge. I am at 54% battery left. #1 usage is the screen at 45%, #2 is phone idle at 18%, #3 is cell standby at 15% (0% w/o a signal 4g enabled all day), #4 is Android OS at 5%, tied with Mediaserver at 5%.

That's the top 1 or 2 things I've noticed. Huge improvement in 3g/4g, battery temp and life.

What have you guys seen?

Last edited:

305rev305

Reaction score
I've had the 4.0.4 for about 3 days now and the No Data problem still here.... It's Verizon's fault. LTE and CDMA does not work. My friend has AT&T galaxy skyrocket LTE and has no problem because they use GSM... I might switch

WookieClaws

Reaction score
I just installed the update today. I'm noticing less drain from the Android OS than before. Right now battery has been on 4h 52s and I'm at 42% (screen has been on for 1h 7m). I expect my screen on time to comparable or slightly more since the OS isn't draining as much. The 4G/3G handoff seems better so far, but I will be able to tell tonight as we have to drive somewhere along I-5 where you are in and out of 4G the whole time. There's a very good 4G connection where we are going but I usually have to turn off data and back on to get the phone to switch from 3G to 4G after the drive.

Screen rotation is a bit quicker, but that didn't bother me before. Landscape keyboard works much better now, which always annoyed me. I haven't used the camera yet to see if those changes helped anything.

My biggest issues were the OS's battery drain and the 4G/3G handoff issue. Seems like those are fixed so far, so far I'm happy.

OP
F

Fightnfire

Reaction score
I did have to do a full drain and charge before I really noticed a battery difference.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

ChevyNexus

Reaction score
My data is fantastic now *knock on wood* no drops and it handles the 3g 4g hand off seamlessly.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I've had the 4.0.4 for about 3 days now and the No Data problem still here.... It's Verizon's fault. LTE and CDMA does not work. My friend has AT&T galaxy skyrocket LTE and has no problem because they use GSM... I might switch

You sure its vzw fault; go to a vzw store and see if a rezound or razr is having the same problem. I can personally speak to the rezound not having those issues at all.

305rev305

Reaction score
You sure its vzw fault; go to a vzw store and see if a rezound or razr is having the same problem. I can personally speak to the rezound not having those issues at all.

Actually you're right... The thunderbolt I had after their updates worked perfectly. I think HTC perfected this problem. But the RAZR does have this problem cause my wife has it and it does the same thing maybe a bit less... Too bad Verizon will no get the One X from HTC...

Stormy Knight

Reaction score
Has the low volume issue (eg volume for video play) been taken care of in this update?

wolfman4u

Reaction score
Stormy Knight said:
Has the low volume issue (eg volume for video play) been taken care of in this update?

Nope. I had volume+ before the update, which worked very well. I updated and removed it, but after about one day it's back.

Stormy Knight

Reaction score
Nope. I had volume+ before the update, which worked very well. I updated and removed it, but after about one day it's back.
Just got the update just over 2 hours ago. I also use volume+. I disabled it after the update. Sorry to say I had to enable it again. No volume fix this time around...

Tas

Reaction score
Finally got the update last night and one part of my house that I always got 1 bar of 4G is now at 3 or 4. Awesome.

Greg

Reaction score
Well.. I've lost about 4 hours of my battery time since the update, and I also have not been able to download anything from the Market without an error of some sort.

Riley

Reaction score
Oddly the first two days after I got the update my data was seamless and a tad stronger signal than normal. Then in the last two days my data has been all over the place. Dropped 4 time so far today in spots where I never have issues. I actually got the little 'network error' popup everytime it happened. I'm hoping it simply a tower issue locally. :blink:

rjcapp

Reaction score
The connection issue definitely improved a lot. Far from perfect! Enough to satisfy me and keep me from slamming the phone into a million pieces. I did loose connection once today in a strong 4g area.

Phone connection wise Still not as good as the wife's bionic and daughters tbolt at home though. I am the only one having difficulty not being able to make phone calls.

My solution before and after to counter connection issues is to use fresh network pro.....

Last edited:

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
Everything seems better. Faster phone, my volume seems to have improved, better reception... I don't have any complaints.