Multiple Issues Concerning Root

Malithar

Reaction score
Just got my Galaxy Nexus for Verizon today. Was excited as can be, because I'm coming from the OG Droid, and up until Froyo I was very active with modding it. I had hoped to relive those great experiences.

That however hasn't been the case at all. I've run into multiple issues, to that point that I don't really know what to do.

What I'm experiencing now, is a failure of Rom Manager/Clockwork Mod Recovery I guess. After getting my barrings with stock 4.0.2, I went through the task of unlocking/rooting my phone. Had some minor driver issues causing me to use a round-about way of accomplishing it, but I got it done, SU, unlock symbol, etc is present.

Next, I flashed to the leaked stock 4.0.4 ROM with no issues at all. Here's where the problems really started. My Google account was bugged or whatever, and nothing from the Market was downloading, returning only the "Cannot download X, there was an error." Fixed that with some Googling and seeing it was just an error with the account sync. Prior to fixing this, I had attempted to reboot back into Clockwork Mod Recovery, however, it went to the stock recovery for some reason, even though I flashed CMR and had used it to flash to 4.0.4. I was confused, so I made it my priority to get Rom Manager and CMR back onto my phone once the Market was fixed. Its downloaded and installed fine, multiple times at that.. Yet, I'm met with force closes anytime I attempt to flash CMR back, or attempt to do anything else from within Rom Manager (backups, fix permissions, etc). I've uninstalled and reinstalled it multiple times, with no change.

I'm really quite frustrated at this point. At no point did I experience anything like this with my OG Droid, and the fact that I've hit such problems on day one of my having the Gnex is really... disheartening.

I've stored restore files back onto the phone and attempted to get to them from the stock recovery but I'm not seeing anything, other than /cache and such, and there's nothing in any of those.

I'd appreciate any help anyone can give. I just want to root this thing, stick GummyNex 0.7.6 on it, and leave it. Or hell, at this point, I'd rather just leave it stock. All of this has turned out to be more trouble than its worth, and I'm really just fed up with it. I unboxed it today thinking it'd be so easy to change things, to enjoy the experience. Instead, I'm sitting here fumbling with it, contemplating spiking it into the ground (not really..but...).

atreyu381

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I will try to dig it up but no guarantees. There was a small process you had to go through to make cwm the permanent recovery after you installed it. You had to use root explorer and delete and add a line. Again I will try to find it for ya but I can't guarantee I can

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

OP
M

Malithar

Reaction score
I did not. :eek: Didn't see that step listed anywhere else that I saw rooting/flashing directions. Then again, I suppose I didn't search overly much due to feeling confident from the OG Droid. Slight question about that last step though. It mentions a file named /system/reboot-from-recovery.p while the only thing I'm seeing is /system/recovery-from-boot.p. Just copying it elsewhere, just in case, but I'm guessing that must be the file.

Thank you so much for the help Atreyu (good band btw). :) I'll post back should I encounter any other issues, such as the force closes in Rom Manager resurfacing (hopefully those were just from CMR not being permanently set).

atreyu381

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
No problem man, I'm trying to help as many as possible and get my name out(not as a bad ass band) so I can hopefully become a moderator. Please let me know if this helps. The gnexus is the og droid w a better screen when ya get through the few forks in the road:)

OP
M

Malithar

Reaction score
That's what I was envisioning it as. :) So, I've hit another of those forks in the road that you spoke of, and it explains (to a degree) most of what I've been experiencing. Got Root Explorer up and going, but R/W mode wasn't toggling on, so I couldn't delete the file in the end. Got to checking my Superuser app, and checked to see if it was up to date. Everything passed its checks, except for two things. Busybox failed its check, and at the end when it attempted to aquire root access, it failed. So I'm thinking that its didn't quite get into root earlier. I attempted to follow the directions in the post you linked, but I'm hung up on the part where it says to run "fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-5.5.0.4-toro.img." That's returning..

'fastboot' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

Going to be Googling solutions to this, but any direction you can give would be awesome. :)

And you've definitely got my vote for a mod. I love my Androids, but I could never imagine giving help from a handset. ;P

atreyu381

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
So how far have you gotten in the process? When you boot your phone, is the lock at the bottom of the Google boot logo locked or unlocked? You may just have lost root and could find the su.apk to flash, or could be you just need a busy box installer from the market. I'm going out on a limb because I have not dealt with this issue but that's kinda what it sounds like.

OP
M

Malithar

Reaction score
And.... got it. :D SHOULD be good from here. XD

Prior to these issues and during them, I've had SU permissions in the app tray, and the unlocked symbol below Google during the boot process. Why it wasn't quite working, I dunno. But, got CMR on the screen right now, so that's a success in my eyes. ;P Going to get Gummy loaded up and hope this headache is at its end. :D

Last edited:

atreyu381

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Lol OK your edit finally came through, so I was very close then. That's good, thought maybe I should surf a different thread lol. Good buddy, and i will voice my opinion but you should at least give tranquil ice a flash, w my theme of course;-).

OP
M

Malithar

Reaction score
Yeah, believe you got it. I didn't think the SU permissions would still be showing in the app tray if SU had been lost somehow, but that seems to of been the case. As for the issue with fastboot, I was just a turd and was pushing it from the wrong ADB folder. XD Got it pushed back over with CMR and it booted up into it without issue. Backing up atm, then onto Gummy, themes, and plenty of other rooted goodness. :D

Thank you very much again for the help. :)

And I'll definitely give it a go! OG Droid bred and fed afterall, and nothing was ever enough back in those days. ;)

Last edited:

atreyu381

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Yeah, believe you got it. I didn't think the SU permissions would still be showing in the app tray if SU had been lost somehow, but that seems to of been the case. As for the issue with fastboot, I was just a turd and was pushing it from the wrong ADB folder. XD Got it pushed back over with CMR and it booted up into it without issue. Backing up atm, then onto Gummy, themes, and plenty of other rooted goodness. :D

Thank you very much again for the help. :)

And I'll definitely give it a go! OG Droid bred and fed afterall, and nothing was ever enough back in those days. ;)

No problem buddy, glad we got ya moving.

OP
M

Malithar

Reaction score
I like it. :D The skulls for the bottom row might be a tad over the top for me, but I love the red and black theme, as well as the soft key background. Once I get this all settled up and comfortable, I'll make sure to flash it over and see how it plays out. For right now, I just wanna sit back and enjoy my phone for a bit. The last four hours or so have been far from such. :p

atreyu381

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Lol the skull icons are custom from my man THA PHLASH. They are a paid icon pack, I just added the red to them. I don't blame ya man. Being stuck sucks bad, but this is a nexus and development is flourishing. Sticking with just one thing defeats the nexus purpose;-). IMO of course