Path from Rooted ICS 4.0.2 to JB 4.1.1 (VZW GNex)

motionblurrr

Reaction score
I have VZW Galaxy Nexus that is still running ICS 4.0.2, rooted and with unlocked bootloader (of course). I've backed up all my apps/data and made a nandroid, but I'm not sure what the path is to get to the newly released JB 4.1.1 from where I am. I downloaded the factory image from Google, but wasn't sure that it would really be the best approach. I do have ClockworkMod Recovery available, but I didn't permanently replace the stock recovery (I use ROM Manager to temporarily flash it/reboot).

Really appreciate your help!

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
You'll have to explain further...if you are still stock rooted, you should have an OTA to 4.0.4 that you can take, which should then give you an OTA to 4.1.1 (just make sure you are connected to WI-FI for that one).

If you'd like to fastboot the factory toro "mysid" images, then you can. If you'd like to be stock rooted after doing either, just flash the newest su.zip through a temporary clockwork mod.

OP
motionblurrr

motionblurrr

Reaction score
You'll have to explain further...if you are still stock rooted, you should have an OTA to 4.0.4 that you can take, which should then give you an OTA to 4.1.1 (just make sure you are connected to WI-FI for that one).

If you'd like to fastboot the factory toro "mysid" images, then you can. If you'd like to be stock rooted after doing either, just flash the newest su.zip through a temporary clockwork mod.

Hey,

Thanks for your reply. I disabled the OTA updates by renaming otacerts.zip to otacerts.zip.bak because I read you could not accept the 4.04 update if you were rooted. Maybe that was a myth?

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hey,

Thanks for your reply. I disabled the OTA updates by renaming otacerts.zip to otacerts.zip.bak because I read you could not accept the 4.04 update if you were rooted. Maybe that was a myth?

Very much so. The only thing that would have stopped your OTA is if you had a custom recovery. Since you only do a temp boot into a CWM to perform your recovery needs, then you would have been able to take the OTA. You would have lost root, but since it's a Nexus, flashing a new su.zip will work every time. :)

OP
motionblurrr

motionblurrr

Reaction score
Very much so. The only thing that would have stopped your OTA is if you had a custom recovery. Since you only do a temp boot into a CWM to perform your recovery needs, then you would have been able to take the OTA. You would have lost root, but since it's a Nexus, flashing a new su.zip will work every time. :)

Awesome. Time to dive in! Thanks!

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
If you decide to OTA, make sure you've frozen or removed no system apps. I think if you just disabled them through the settings then you're good. But if you froze with titanium or deleted, I think the OTA may fail.

OP
motionblurrr

motionblurrr

Reaction score
If you decide to OTA, make sure you've frozen or removed no system apps. I think if you just disabled them through the settings then you're good. But if you froze with titanium or deleted, I think the OTA may fail.

Yeah, I know I'd forget to do that every time, so I never freeze apps. :) I'm all done and upgraded now though, thanks! Now just gotta get root back and then go to sleep.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
Yeah, I know I'd forget to do that every time, so I never freeze apps. :) I'm all done and upgraded now though, thanks! Now just gotta get root back and then go to sleep.

Man yer gonna flip! 4.0.2 was so slow compared to JB and even 4.0.4 for that matter!