Moto Droid Supposedly Getting Froyo on 7/13

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
it will give you 5 home screens. but, if you load LauncherPro (beta is free, but you can buy the Plus on LauncherPro.com, and it's better IMO) or ADW now, you can get up to 7 homescreens.

Until after a week it bogs your phone down so much you want to throw it in a river.
I disagree. I have been using it since he only had it up on his website. Never once had lag and I have always ran 7 screens with 2 widgets on every page. Thanks to the pull up tab I don't have a reason to put shortcuts on my desktop. But that's my preferance. And now that it has themes too it's even better. But that's my $.02.
I meant with ADW. Not launcher pro. I haven't used it.

Didn't mean to post again but there's no edit.

babyman287

Reaction score
It's crazy to me how people get so irate about an update to their phone. Don't get me wrong, I was looking forward to getting 2.2 on my phone sooner and was a little bummed when it didn't come out, but what's with the anger, people? I mean, it's like there's this "YOU OWE ME!" attitude out there. I just don't get it. I love my Droid and I also understand that companies don't always release stuff just to release it by a certain date. Well, that's what Apple did with the iphone 4 and we see what happened there. Do people think Verizon is just trying to make people mad? That would make no sense at all.

I know, some of you are just mad at the "reliable sources." I don't get that either. Here's a little advice my dad gave me when I was growing up; "Hope for the best and expect the worst."

Peace!

Actually they do OWE us...they promised Flash on the phone, and that is only possible with 2.2, and we have all been waiting at least 8 months and still no Flash.

MotoCache1

Chief Droid Scientist
Reaction score
I was on the phone with VZW the other day regarding a non-technical issue and when we were done, just to see what answer I'd get, I asked the rep when 2.2 would be pushing to the Droid 1. Her ready answer (she didn't even pause -- which means to me she's been asked this a lot) was that they don't have a date yet and they are still waiting on Motorola. Personally, I'd rather it take a little longer and have the update go cleanly and be stable afterward. I just hope any delays aren't just due to something like telling Motorola they need to cripple the WiFi tethering or something.

dan j

Reaction score
It's crazy to me how people get so irate about an update to their phone. Don't get me wrong, I was looking forward to getting 2.2 on my phone sooner and was a little bummed when it didn't come out, but what's with the anger, people? I mean, it's like there's this "YOU OWE ME!" attitude out there. I just don't get it. I love my Droid and I also understand that companies don't always release stuff just to release it by a certain date. Well, that's what Apple did with the iphone 4 and we see what happened there. Do people think Verizon is just trying to make people mad? That would make no sense at all.

I know, some of you are just mad at the "reliable sources." I don't get that either. Here's a little advice my dad gave me when I was growing up; "Hope for the best and expect the worst."

Peace!

Actually they do OWE us...they promised Flash on the phone, and that is only possible with 2.2, and we have all been waiting at least 8 months and still no Flash.
I'll add to that. When we went looking for cell phones we knew that WinMo was dead (no more updates), yet there were still quite a few brand new phones running it and salespeople who didn't tell folks that your two-year contract would be with a phone using a dead platform. WinMo is working well now, but who knows what features will be in the future that the WinMo phones won't get. So I went with Android because it's Google and I wanted a platform that would continually get better. When I purchased there was talk of Flash and Froyo and Gingerbread, IIRC, so I bought knowing that was in the works.

When folks say "you're not owed an update" it's counter the Android platform. The only folks who were told they wouldn't be getting an update are folks who bought iPhones. Updates are great, it's like a new phone.

DigiK

Reaction score

If you want Flash that bad, just root your device and install a Moto-leaked 2.2 ROM or one of its derivatives like Bugless Beast. Thousands of users can attest to the fact that these ROMs run stably and you'll a the much-needed performance boost even with modest overclocking to 800Mhz. It's really senseless not to unlock the true power of one of the best phones every produced.

The easy way: How to: Root Android 2.1 and Install Android 2.2 on Motorola DROID - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

K

killabyte

For those youngsters in the crowd... this is what the above post referenced: Logan's Run - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For further reference, I was 10 years old when that movie came out, and for some stupid reason, remember the TV show, only because my friend was a huge fan of it, and wouldn't stop talking about it.....

Back to your regularly scheduled "Where's my OTA" discussion.

Thank heavens for the clarification. We were all on the edge of our seats and losing sleep over it.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Show me where Motorola promised Flash. If I recall correctly it was Adobe that said they were going to make Flash available for the Droid, and in fact they have if you're running 2.2. If not you can grab the skyfire browser and at least get some flash sites.

TimChgo9

Reaction score
For those youngsters in the crowd... this is what the above post referenced: Logan's Run - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For further reference, I was 10 years old when that movie came out, and for some stupid reason, remember the TV show, only because my friend was a huge fan of it, and wouldn't stop talking about it.....

Back to your regularly scheduled "Where's my OTA" discussion.

Thank heavens for the clarification. We were all on the edge of our seats and losing sleep over it.

I sensed that, and figured I should jump right in and clarify....:)

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
Show me where Motorola promised Flash. If I recall correctly it was Adobe that said they were going to make Flash available for the Droid, and in fact they have if you're running 2.2. If not you can grab the skyfire browser and at least get some flash sites.

Hook, to be completely honest with you; the original marketing literature for the DROID said "DROID does Adobe FlashPlayer"

If you went to Adobe's site back when the DROID was new, and clicked the link to download Flashplayer, it said it was coming Q1 2010 - which has obviously been long gone.

However, I think the blame for this lies on Adobe for making promises, and not Moto or VZW. Unfortunately, though, Adobe isn't exactly known for releasing things on time.

In the end, though, it's quite a minor feature for folks to get bent out of shape about, as a matter of fact, running Flash on Froyo I find it to be more annoying than useful. An animated flash ad isn't particularly bothersome on a 22 inch monitor, however on a 3.7" screen it's a different story.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score

Hook, to be completely honest with you; the original marketing literature for the DROID said "DROID does Adobe FlashPlayer"

If you went to Adobe's site back when the DROID was new, and clicked the link to download Flashplayer, it said it was coming Q1 2010 - which has obviously been long gone.

However, I think the blame for this lies on Adobe for making promises, and not Moto or VZW. Unfortunately, though, Adobe isn't exactly known for releasing things on time.

In the end, though, it's quite a minor feature for folks to get bent out of shape about, as a matter of fact, running Flash on Froyo I find it to be more annoying than useful. An animated flash ad isn't particularly bothersome on a 22 inch monitor, however on a 3.7" screen it's a different story.

I agree. Flash on mobile is more the wow factor than anything practical. in fact its annoying and doesn't work that well anyway...

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
^^^^^^^^ Literally the only thing I use it for is m.kongregate.com games. Everything I THOUGHT I would use it for (Hulu, a music site I use, etc) don't work properly with it anyways. If I wasn't addicted to Boomshine, i'd have deleted Flash Player awhile ago and saved myself 12MB.

It was really annoying earlier when I was on the weather channel site, and a huge pop up ad flew onto my screen.

Reaction score

Peace!

Even if were were promised Flash (By whoever it was) they never said we were going to get it by a certain date. Even if they did give a date, I am sure it wasn't a definite release date. Even if it was a definite release date and they had a security reason or a development reason for not releasing it on time, then it's coming. We will get Flash.

My point was about some of the people on forums that get crazy and irate, almost literally yelling at others on here about this. I understand frustration about some of this but the anger is trippin me out.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
[

Even if were were promised Flash (By whoever it was) they never said we were going to get it by a certain date. Even if they did give a date, I am sure it wasn't a definite release date. Even if it was a definite release date and they had a security reason or a development reason for not releasing it on time, then it's coming. We will get Flash.

My point was about some of the people on forums that get crazy and irate, almost literally yelling at others on here about this. I understand frustration about some of this but the anger is trippin me out.

It's the nature of the beast. Every time we run a thread with an upcoming update people get a little shall we say "excitable" about the whole thing. :)

And don't tell anybody…..it's only a phone. :D

huskerkate

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
[

It's the nature of the beast. Every time we run a thread with an upcoming update people get a little shall we say "excitable" about the whole thing. :)

only a phone?! now you're just being crazy! :)

Reaction score
[

I think "excitable" is putting it lightly. I joined right as 2.1 was rumored the 2nd and final time and the 2.2 threads are almost the same. Either way it's entertaining none the less. My gf watches her soaps and I read these threads, just as much drama in different settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.