Man Roots 6-Foot Tall Nexus S At Best Buy

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
While taking his Nexus S in to his local Best Buy for repairs, a Youtube user that goes by the name of halfcab123 took the time to root the 6-foot tall Nexus S display they had in the store. A pretty amazing if not amusing feat. If you doubt that the monster sized Nexus S is in fact rooted, the guy goes on to give you video proof using Terminal Emulator. A tip of the hat to you, sir.

[video=youtube;Rx2WLlaznRA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rx2WLlaznRA&feature=player_embedded[/video]

SOURCE: Man Roots 6-Foot Tall Nexus S At Best Buy – Lives To Tell The Tale [Video]

WoZzY

The GRD Dev Team
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Thats awsome hats off to him thats great wait till one of the employees Notices wondering what they will do lol

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Funny yes. However, things like this are what keep phones locked. If I owned say, samsung and, I thought people would come and root and maybe damage display models because the phones and tablets were unlocked then, I would lock them. Faulty display models leave bad impressions on potential buyers who dont know and, thus, would think my product sucked.

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

Juicemane

Bang Bang
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Funny yes. However, things like this are what keep phones locked. If I owned say, samsung and, I thought people would come and root and maybe damage display models because the phones and tablets were unlocked then, I would lock them. Faulty display models leave bad impressions on potential buyers who dont know and, thus, would think my product sucked.

Not exactly what I would call common and locked boot loaders do not stop rooting... :icon_eek:

bp328i

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score

In addition to this, the guy roots this display phone but can't fix his own phone that has nothing wrong with it. That's sad...

Devo_

Reaction score

Have you seen the display models? Almost all of them are beat to a pulp, it doesn't matter which manufacturer makes them. A locked bootloader doesn't result from people banging around the display phones and breaking them.. tisk tisk

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Not exactly what I would call common and locked boot loaders do not stop rooting... :icon_eek:

Nope, but it sure makes it a lot harder to do. Especially on a 6 foot display at Best Buy.

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I think you guys are missing my point. When it comes to technology, most people know little to nothing. In a market with lots of options, people will buy based on how they like something compared to other models. While just rooting the phone doesn't really change much on the UI, it leaves the door open for people who know nothing to really get in there and do some damage. If I then went in and wanted to test the phone and everything I pressed caused an FC or something and the one next to it didn't, I would buy that one. As the maker of the phone, I would protect to almost extreme caution because, without sales, I go bye bye.

Bilgediver

Reaction score
xkape has a point, you realize that in Best Buy almost all the phones you see aren't even on, they really only have a few tablets turned on in a display model, and that bigass nexus phone. I was considering rooting it myself but some 6 year old kids were hogging it when I went into Best Buy. I say kudos to him, and I honestly don't see what's the problem with this as long as he doesn't change anything on it, just rooting it.

porsche996

Reaction score
Hmm... Root the huge display model, change splash screen to Andy eating an Apple. Get app to have phone reset on 5 minute intervals... There's so much non-harmful fun that could be had...

Trusstopher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This makes me fear that BB will start running an app (on phones they actually leave on) similar to the d*mn demo program they put on their computer and laptops. For awhile I was able to actually work my way out of those, but last time I was in their, the demo was setup such that you couldn't leave it and get into the OS at all.

Trusstopher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This makes me fear that BB will start running an app (on phones they actually leave on) similar to the d*mn demo program they put on their computer and laptops. For awhile I was able to actually work my way out of those, but last time I was in their, the demo was setup such that you couldn't leave it and get into the OS at all.

CRAP... their = there....stupid no edit and no morning coffee yet