Hacked Version of Swype Will Work on Other 'Rooted-Only' Devices Beyond Nexus S 4G

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
[video=youtube;SNNoEgY5emg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNNoEgY5emg&feature=player_detailpage[/video]​

Some tech-savvy engineers over at XDA Developers have released a hacked version of the newest Swype. It was originally only intended for the Nexus S 4G, but this new version supposedly works just phone on other Android devices as long as they are rooted. This new version brings improved capitalization of proper nouns, spruced up the UI, and introduced shortcut gestures, among other things. Above is the demonstration video again. Here's a download link below, and some instructions that might be a bit complicated, so follow them closely:
First up
Swype.apk
Code:
Move Swype.apk to System/App and change the permissions to 644

USER: Read Write
GROUP: Read
OTHER: Read
Second up
libswypecore.3.25.91.30637.so
Code:
Move libswypecore.3.25.91.30637.so to System/Lib and change the permissions to 644

Now back out of your file manager or check to see if the permission changes stuck. It should read rw-r--r-- on both.

Open up Terminal Emulator and enter:

Code:
Su
Sync
Reboot
Download Link - Hacked Version of Swype for Rooted Android Devices
Source: Android.net via AndroidPolice and XDA-Developers

mach330

Reaction score
worked for me. sweet. i've been wanting a personal dictionary for the longest time.

mach330

Reaction score
btw do we need to do this? i just installed the apk file and it seems to work.

First up
Swype.apk
Code:
Move Swype.apk to System/App and change the permissions to 644

Second up
libswypecore.3.25.91.30637.so
Code:
Move libswypecore.3.25.91.30637.so to System/Lib and change the permissions to 644

Now back out of your file manager or check to see if the permission changes stuck. It should read rw-r--r-- on both.

Open up Terminal Emulator and enter:

Code:
Su
Sync
Reboot

pjd17011

Reaction score
Zip file issue

I tried downloading and extracting the zip file however I got the following error message:

Extracting to "C:\Users\pjd17011\Documents\"
Use Path: yes Overlay Files: no
Warning: skipping "Swype.apk". The general purpose flags stored in the local header for this file are not the same as the general purpose flags stored in the central header

noisyKricket

Reaction score
hmmm

I just extracted the zip then installed the apk and it worked fine. lol. Those instructions seemed way more complicated than necessary.

sarreq

Reaction score
links dead, apparently they got a complaint from Swype (the company).
why doesn't Swype just get that we'd rather have it as a market app

C.o.m.m.a.n.d.e.r

Reaction score
since when was swype an only nexus S thing? comes with the droid 3 and i cant be sure but i think i heard its on the x or x2 as well

mach330

Reaction score
i guess we have to do the instruction above for phones with built in swype. i had to do this on my wife's dx while on my dinc, I just had to install the apk. works great on both phones though.

kbomb

Reaction score
can somebody pm or email me the zip, didn't get the download in time. thanks

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
so i got an email from swype about the new version, but get a "problem parsing package" error when i try to update the swype installer...any ideas?