Skype V2.0 Hacked Version; Now Works on More Devices

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
skype-v2-hacked.jpg

Video-chat via Android smartphone became a reality yesterday for many folks running a few Gingerbread powered phones, thanks to Skype's newest version 2.0. Unfortunately, it only worked on a small few devices. Luckily, however, the amazing Android community of developers decided to do something about that. Thanks to the "mad skillz" of Android modder, 0mie, we can now use the video chat features of the new Skype on many more Gingerbread powered devices. Here's a list of the "currently known" usable devices, with the newest ones bolded:
  • Google Nexus S (but not the Nexus S 4G)
  • HTC Desire S
  • Sony Ericsson Xperia Neo
  • Sony Ericsson Xperia Pro
  • HTC Thunderbolt (with Gingerbread only)
  • HTC Sensation
  • HTC EVO 3D
  • Samsung Galaxy S II
  • Motorola Droid Charge
As far as the reports say, this new hacked version should work on any Gingerbread powered device that also has a front-racing camera. We are witnessing the humble beginnings of true video-chat. Isn't digital technology incredible? dancedroid

Here's the download link if you want to try it out: AndroidPolice Download Mirror for Hacked Skype 2.0
Secondary Download link: Droid-Life Download Mirror for Hacked Skype 2.0

Source: Android.net via AndroidPolice and Droid-Life

x02ssmarox

Reaction score
i dont get it ive had skype with video on my thunderbolt for some time now and it works great over 3g network. i saw it someplace then did a google search and came up with it.

[Download] Skype With Video Chat For The HTC Thunderbolt

it works great ive chatted with grandma up north mich. and showed her all the new flower beds around the house she loved it and so did i.

I've heard people saying this but was never able to get it for myself. I just got it working last night.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

sidsixseven

Reaction score
The original leak only worked on the Thunderbolt and only with the original and MR1 radios (both of which are official). The leaked MR2 radio update that works with leaked Gingerbread ROMs won't work with this new leak. It WILL work with this new leak.

Secondly, this new release works on a lot of phones other then the Thunderbolt. Which is why it's a big deal to non-TB users.

frosty1216

Reaction score
Works perfectly on my Droid Inc 2

Sent from my Xoom using DroidForums

GrinReaper

Reaction score
Can this be modified to use the rear facing camera. I know this that the Iphone3GS version of skype does this and it annoys me when my friends show off their iphones for that :(

jaredkent

Reaction score
Works perfectly on my Droid Inc 2

Sent from my Xoom using DroidForums

On my DI2 I get forced landscape mode when trying to make an outgoing video call and force closes when trying to receive an incoming. I'd love to get this working without rooting my phone though. Any tips?

frosty1216

Reaction score
What version of android do you have. I upgraded to the non root Gingerbread RRU. You know, the actual gingerbread upgrade, that might do it.

jaredkent

Reaction score
What version of android do you have. I upgraded to the non root Gingerbread RRU. You know, the actual gingerbread upgrade, that might do it.

your right. That would probably do it I'm still stuck on Froyo 2.2.1 Do you know where I can find that

jaredkent

Reaction score
Maybe a sstupid question. Is there a tutorial for installing it.

frosty1216

Reaction score
Um, there should be one with it, it's pretty straight forward, the actual application runs you through it step by step.