Man Roots 6-Foot Tall Nexus S At Best Buy

Reaction score
yeah.. he shoulda flashed something like MIUI on it and effed the employees allll up. At the very least maybe simply stunning with a super duper OC'd kernel + gingerbread theme..lol going to my local BB to loo kfor a man sized nexus

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
So this dummy is smart enough to root the display phone, but he isn't smart enough to charge his own phone and has to take it in to Best Buy so that they can plug it in and charge it for him?

Classic.

Byakushiki

Reaction score
Would have been better if he put a ROM on it.
Should've loaded up cyanogenmod on it :laugh: then stuck a theme and then changed the OS version to IceCreamSandwich. Wonder what people's reactions would be

Reaction score
Story better read: Guy that doesn't know how to charge his phone goes into BestBuy and finds a rooted 4' display model and tries to take credit for it

OP
Malvado

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Funny yes. However, things like this are what keep phones locked. If I owned say, samsung and, I thought people would come and root and maybe damage display models because the phones and tablets were unlocked then, I would lock them. Faulty display models leave bad impressions on potential buyers who dont know and, thus, would think my product sucked.

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

How will that stop ppl from buying a phone? Its not like they're going to sell them the display

Sent from my DROID 3 directly to YOU!

Low Saturn

Reaction score
This makes me fear that BB will start running an app (on phones they actually leave on) similar to the d*mn demo program they put on their computer and laptops. For awhile I was able to actually work my way out of those, but last time I was in their, the demo was setup such that you couldn't leave it and get into the OS at all.

This reminds me from back in the day when electronics stores didnt run those locked demo programs on the display computers. And we would go around formatting the hard drives on them. Or take in a disc and load up some not to nice wallpapers, set it as the screensaver and set a password to unlock it.

Ahhhhh, to be young and mischievous.

bp328i

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
How will that stop ppl from buying a phone? Its not like they're going to sell them the display

So someone that knows nothing about rooting goes into a store and picks up let’s say a Nexus S to try for the first time. The phone gives them force closes and just does not run right because someone thought it was funny to root it and load something that messed it up.

Then they pick up a non rooted phone where everything works the way it should which one do you think they would you pick.

Hmm, which phone to buy, the one that does not seam to work right or the one that does. First impressions mean a lot.

This could be the difference between someone getting an Android or Apple.

bosshog85

Reaction score
So someone that knows nothing about rooting goes into a store and picks up let’s say a Nexus S to try for the first time. The phone gives them force closes and just does not run right because someone thought it was funny to root it and load something that messed it up.

Then they pick up a non rooted phone where everything works the way it should which one do you think they would you pick.

Hmm, which phone to buy, the one that does not seam to work right or the one that does. First impressions mean a lot.

Very true. I rooted my old phone And played with the boot animation and now it takes forever to boot up. That Guy should have to pay for that device cuz that's almost like vandalism cuz its damaging property to the store. Stupid people I tell you!

Sent from my SCH-I400 using DroidForums

Chizzele

Team Sourcery
Developer
Reaction score
Website
teamsourcery.com
I actually think its funny. My device has been rooted for a long time and i never had any root related issues. And besides that, if someone wants to damage a store's display's phone all they have to do is download some malware into it which has nothing to do with root.

OP
Malvado

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Very true. I rooted my old phone And played with the boot animation and now it takes forever to boot up. That Guy should have to pay for that device cuz that's almost like vandalism cuz its damaging property to the store. Stupid people I tell you!

Its not actually damaging it. IMO

OP
Malvado

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com

This could be the difference between someone getting an Android or Apple.

I would use common sense. I mean come one, most ppl know the display models are accesible by everyone so its obvious to think they won't be the same as if you get one out of the box

Reaction score

blaming your boot animation tinkering on root is the equivalent of jerking around under the hood of your car, then complaining that it doesnt run very well. An educated person delving into the world of android root would have means to correct such a problem i.e. reflash, wipe, new boot anim install etc. Its not like vandalism, its doing something the nexus line has been well known for, being open and customizable the true android way. :icon_ banana:

ftajeffrey

Reaction score
blaming your boot animation tinkering on root is the equivalent of jerking around under the hood of your car, then complaining that it doesnt run very well. An educated person delving into the world of android root would have means to correct such a problem i.e. reflash, wipe, new boot anim install etc. Its not like vandalism, its doing something the nexus line has been well known for, being open and customizable the true android way. :icon_ banana:

It was not his property, so therefore, it was vandalism.

Reaction score
It was not his property, so therefore, it was vandalism.

he didnt "damage" it in anyway. He didnt take a sledge hammer to it. There is no evidence nor argument to make that gaining superuser access to an electronic device is vandalism. Especially when the manufacturer of said device decides not to use any type of preventative measure in allowing a user to do so.

ftajeffrey

Reaction score
he didnt "damage" it in anyway. He didnt take a sledge hammer to it. There is no evidence nor argument to make that gaining superuser access to an electronic device is vandalism. Especially when the manufacturer of said device decides not to use any type of preventative measure in allowing a user to do so.

If I let friend check out my phone and they/he/she rooted it without permission, I would call that vandalism. Just because you can doesn't mean you should, If it's his property, entirely different story.