Making it clear on X2 audio issues and GB...

OP
k1ngr4t

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
Just thought I'd give a little mini-bump to see if anyone has had any other thoughts or noticed anything that may have helped or made worse this issue? I assume when the time comes the boards will be flooded with solutions but...thought I'd ask. Strongly considering paying the fee to break my contract and just getting a Galaxy SII when it comes to Verizon...

bradleonard

Reaction score
Here is my update. ... I am on vacation this week and we had an 8 hour drive to our destination. I knew that my DX2 would not be able to play music of any sort, especially Pandora. So we used my wife's iPod touch to stream Pandora through my phone using Wifi Tethering. This of course worked perfectly. This goes to show that the phone does not have any issues with data acquisition from the network, the problem definitely has do to with the hardware or the software implementation on the hardware. That is my update, nothing real earth shattering. Hopefully the people at VZW will come up with a fix someday very soon!

urphonesux

Reaction score
Here is my update. ... I am on vacation this week and we had an 8 hour drive to our destination. I knew that my DX2 would not be able to play music of any sort, especially Pandora. So we used my wife's iPod touch to stream Pandora through my phone using Wifi Tethering. This of course worked perfectly. This goes to show that the phone does not have any issues with data acquisition from the network, the problem definitely has do to with the hardware or the software implementation on the hardware. That is my update, nothing real earth shattering. Hopefully the people at VZW will come up with a fix someday very soon!

Yesterday I was on the radio. I streamed the entire show from 3-6 through the stock browser using the stations website and the only time I had a break in audio was when my phone would say DROID to let me know I was receiving texts. I also can stream pandora with no issues. I also played my music from my sd card for the radio host and programming director with no skips or hiccups

gr8scott_o

Reaction score
Per my earlier comment, I have been testing with Bluetooth instead of headphone jack all week (by connecting to Blackberry Bluetooth Audio Gateway, then connecting my headphones to that). Good news: Absolutely no skips or hesitation whatsoever! It actually makes listening to the music player enjoyable again. I can multi-task, browse the web, do damn near anything I want on the phone while listening to music with no impact. I wanted several solid days of good performance before I reported. Bad News: Bluetooth connectivity gets lost after a couple of hours. It will just disconnect all on it's own and I have to stop and restart Bluetooth on the phone to get it to reconnect. This weekend I will have a complete report with video demo. I want to get a set of Bluetooth headphones to try out as well.

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
I never noticed before, but the other day while out hiking with the dogs I lost connection a couple of times. (I was out well over an hour.) Usally I only listen 10-15 minutes at a time.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

shadowsjc

Reaction score
Bump

I got this phone Friday Aug 19th. I've struggled with the battery life for the past few days, although finally after a few full charging cycles, the battery SEEMS to be lasting me a decent amount of time (10 hrs mostly of idle time, very little browsing or anything, still at around 75%).

The audio is something that has crept up on me since I didn't have any songs on the phone until today. I can definitely recreate the audio lag problem using any sort of player: (using stock / non rooted Gingerbread on Verizon Wireless)

- stock player playing music stored on SD Card
- full (paid) version of PowerAmp, with Audio Buffer setting at "huge", playing music stored on SD Card
- Pandora streaming music through Wifi connection

In all of these cases, if I open up something else in the foreground (be it "manage applications", or sometimes even opening the text messaging app), the music will stutter / skip. I've also had ringtones stutter / skip when people call, although I can't really recreate that (it's a custom mp3 ringtone that's 4 seconds long).

My question is - what do I do now? I still have another 10 days in my verizon return period. I really want to like the Droid X2, even without the forward facing camera (although that's an appealing feature for some of the other phones). Should I ask for a replacement phone? (even though I'll get a refurbed probably?). Should I complain enough (and if I do so, will they give me a 4G phone instead)?

Thanks everyone

(side note - if you're returning in the 14 day window because of a defect, do they still charge you the restocking fee? how does that work?)

Last edited:
OP
k1ngr4t

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
Another update:

Talked to VZ again today, they're going to send me ANOTHER replacement phone. I told them since the others were only 1-2 months apart from the release date I'd like to try again and see if it was just a bad "first batch." Should be here on Tuesday, I'll definitely keep you posted.

Also, while playing around with the X2 and the audio issues, I did the usual opening of the application list in settings > manage applications, and noticed that the popping would always occur at the same times as the "application storage" numbers for the used/free comparison line at the bottom changed. When the list was fully loaded it would stop and I can quickly scroll to the bottom back to the top with no popping. Not sure what this might mean, but if any devs or tech junkies still happen to be following this, maybe they'll find it of interest.

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I fixed this issue myself. DX2.. no skips, no pops. Tried like hell to make it mess up, I cant do it. Opened the phone app, browser, DF app, ran a speedtest on the sppedtest.net app, etc.. music plays without interruption.

OP
k1ngr4t

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
I fixed this issue myself. DX2.. no skips, no pops. Tried like hell to make it mess up, I cant do it. Opened the phone app, browser, DF app, ran a speedtest on the sppedtest.net app, etc.. music plays without interruption.

Skeptical...

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
Skeptical...

Me too what did you do to fix the problem?

I don't multitask when listening to music so I never get the pops our lags.

I can recreate the problem though by opening the browser while using Serius our Slacker.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
No need to be skeptical. I just forgot to finish typing....lol left of a sentence. I pulled the elliot stocker music app off my D1. To add.... I stuck it in an update.zip template and installed it thru recovery. Simple.

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

OP
k1ngr4t

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
Sounds like it might be simple (most things are when you know how to do it) but I still have no idea what that means or how it's done...

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I did it that way because I am rooted. The Elliot Stocker Music app though can be installed as a regular app for non root users as well. I am pretty sure anyway. Just find the app, sticm it on the SD card and click on it and choose install.

bradleonard

Reaction score
No need to be skeptical. I just forgot to finish typing....lol left of a sentence. I pulled the elliot stocker music app off my D1. To add.... I stuck it in an update.zip template and installed it thru recovery. Simple.

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

I googled this app you speak of and found this link: Pirate Media – Android Application Development

This apparently is his Eliot's website. I downloaded the newest version from the Market that claims to be Froyo only however it is playing music in Gingerbread.

Unless what I downloaded from the market does not do the same thing as whatever version you are installing through recovering, it does not fix skipping issues.

I find it interesting that people say that they don't multitask and music plays fine. This is not my experience. If I start playing music and then I simply let the screen turn off by itself, the music will skip shortly after the screen turns off, telling me that the phone is processing stuff after the screen turns off.

I will give this app a little bit of test. The other component to this problem that doesn't get mentioned as often is the Pandora (or any other internet stream). The ability to stream Pandora is as important to me as playing music from the SD card. Pandora is almost totally unusable for unattended listening. The most frustrating part is that I fired up my DROID to update to the newest version of Simply Stunning and it streams Pandora flawlessly.

I sure hope a fix comes along for this problem sooner than later or I am going to be asking VZW to give me a different brand/model of phone.

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I hear ya man. I don't use Pandora but I do use TunedIn Radio. Skips all over the place if I multi task. I saw where if you were using Bluetooth, there would be no skips multi-tasking. Yet to try it though.