Considering the D2X

micjmac

Reaction score
I don't think that my area will be getting 4G any time soon, and I was pointed to the X2 by a seemingly knowledgeable person who had told me that the X2 is the best Android choice if you are skipping 4G. From what I've read, the phone has its handful of issues, but these cell phone manufacturers can never seem to get it right, but that's another topic. Here are my concerns with the X2:

1. Lag. From what I've read, the lag issues with the X2 are fixable. Can anyone confirm this? Is anyone still having issues even after implementing these memory fixes?

2. Music (streaming & microSD) This is one of the primary reasons for my purchase of an Android phone. I caught a thread where a guy on here claims he hears crackles while listening to music off of his microSD. He had claimed that he attempted the known fixes to no avail. This is unacceptable to me. I'd like to clear this issue before I make a purchase.

3. Amazon. Unrelated to the X2? Yes, but I would like to know how the process of ordering from Amazon works. Do I activate the phone on my own? If the phone is defective, can I still bring it into Verizon for replacement under warranty?

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
The lag is supposedly fixable if you are ok with rooting and installing hacks, which to me, is unacceptable for a brand new phone to be functioning that way.

I have heard of issues with sound quality on the X2. I have no such issues with my X.

If you buy through Amazon, you activate the phone by dialing *228 then pressing 1. You will not be able to take it in to Verizon for warranty though, that is handled through Amazon. Verizon will help with tech support though

sent from my ZombieStomped X

OP
M

micjmac

Reaction score
The lag is supposedly fixable if you are ok with rooting and installing hacks, which to me, is unacceptable for a brand new phone to be functioning that way.

I wholeheartedly agree with your opinion. My problem is the 4G is unavailable in my area, so I am stuck with 3G. Apparently the X2 is one of the best all around 3G smartphones, but only when it works (that's the catch). I am not sure what to do.

metalbuck

Reaction score
I do not have 4G in my area and will probably be one of the last areas to get it so I bought X2 a few days ago from Amazon. It was delivered in about 25 hrs.dancedroid This is my 1st smart phone and so far am very pleased. I tried to activate it using *228 but it said it could not do it and automatically switched to Verizon. They were very helpful in walking me through activation. I've played music from micro sd, pandora and radio and have not experienced any crackling.

OP
M

micjmac

Reaction score
I do not have 4G in my area and will probably be one of the last areas to get it so I bought X2 a few days ago from Amazon. It was delivered in about 25 hrs.dancedroid This is my 1st smart phone and so far am very pleased. I tried to activate it using *228 but it said it could not do it and automatically switched to Verizon. They were very helpful in walking me through activation. I've played music from micro sd, pandora and radio and have not experienced any crackling.

Well that is most definitely reassuring. I might end up pulling the trigger on this phone. It's beginning to sound like Motorola has some QA issues with this line of phones, as some work out of the box and others don't. Perhaps I would be better off buying through a Verizon store as it will be easier to replace a defective phone rather than having to ship it back to Amazon.

gr8scott_o

Reaction score

Well that is most definitely reassuring. I might end up pulling the trigger on this phone. It's beginning to sound like Motorola has some QA issues with this line of phones, as some work out of the box and others don't. Perhaps I would be better off buying through a Verizon store as it will be easier to replace a defective phone rather than having to ship it back to Amazon.

If you are a Costco member, you will find their replacement policy is FAR superior (literally NO QUESTIONS ASKED, unlike VZW where its like talking to the damn Gestapo), they give a free accessory pack (case, car charger, headphone kit, not great but nice freebies), and you get a far better price than you will find in the VZW store. Stupid, I know, but it's just the way it is. Upgrade is $119, new contract it's $99. VZW wanted to charge me $189 for the DX2 on an upgrade.

Consider the DX2 carefully... I upgraded from DX and have gotten two bum devices so far, one of which I took back to Costco. Others report zero issues. I took steps to get super-user, freeze bloat on the phone and do the memory tricks, plus I downgraded to the 8GB Class 4 card that came with the device (instead of my 16GB Class 2 I have had since my original Droid 1) in an effort to "fix" some of the phone's problems. I won't know for sure until I get to spend several solid hours at work listening to music if I will take this phone back or not. Something about this phone build is not right, my DX was pretty solid. You can see my rant in the tech support forum somewhere.

roseylisa

Reaction score
Buy thru costco u can return and exchsnge mote than omce plus u get extra acc. And cheaper last time around i returned three phones before deciding on pne at verizon syore only sloud one trsde in in a 3day period and u only get phone and hogher price

Sent from my SCH-I510 using DroidForums

OP
M

micjmac

Reaction score
Wow thanks for the advice with Costco! That is awesome! So I can literally keep returning the X2 with no hassle if i have issues? You guys are scaring me with all the talk about the bum phones though. It seriously sounds like a 50/50 chance. Maybe I should just go with another phone? What would your second choice be if you couldn't have an X2?

roseylisa

Reaction score
Thats why i got it then took it back for the charge but keep wonderin whst if i got anothet would it be fine msybe it wad lije tjere first batch they caught on they had a problem i like the sturdiness of the motorolas i guess i was bumbef when it started acting up

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Check out the Inc2 - I'd put it as the best 3G-only phone personally. I like the X2, but the Inc2 is awesome.

roseylisa

Reaction score
What is insz u mean with cpntacts amd facebook because i noticed it wad much better at that than this chg half my contscts disappeared when i got tje charge

OP
M

micjmac

Reaction score
Check out the Inc2 - I'd put it as the best 3G-only phone personally. I like the X2, but the Inc2 is awesome.

I'll have to look into this. I don't know much about it, so if you'd like to give me a rundown, I'm all ears.

nateohio

Reaction score
If you buy through Amazon, you activate the phone by dialing *228 then pressing 1. You will not be able to take it in to Verizon for warranty though, that is handled through Amazon. Verizon will help with tech support though

sent from my ZombieStomped X

Not true, Just dont tell them you bought the phone through Amazon. I've done it a bunch of times and not once have I not been successful.