magnetic dock recognition?

jaja714

Reaction score
I was able to "hack" ... literally ... my old Droid X2 dock into a RMHD dock (http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-razr-maxx-hd/231391-droid-x2-dock-hack.html#post2340414). This is a great bedside solution allowing me to charge my RMHD in the dark without fumbling, wiggling, the small micro-usb jack ... which always seems to be upside down!

Unfortunately, the RMHD does not have seem to have any sort of magnetic dock detection like the old X2. RMHD cannot automatically know whether or not to go into alarm or car dock modes. As a matter of fact, the RMHD doesn't even have those modes available as part of the stock OS.

Does anyone know what Motorola's plans are regarding home docks and car cradles and how they will interact with SmartActions?

droidxep

Reaction score
Just set a custom smart action, use location and on a charger.

OP
J

jaja714

Reaction score
Just set a custom smart action, use location and on a charger.

I did that the first day I got my phone but that still doesn't give RMHD the ability to recognize which charger it is in. In other words, I want my RMHD to behave differently based on whether it is in my bedside charger (dim alarm clock) or my office charger (Calendar) as well as my car mount (navigation and music).

The dock I converted from my old X2 had a magnet in the stem which the X2 detected. If the magnet was positive, it would start the alarm dock. If the magnet was negative, it would start the car dock.

droidxep

Reaction score
Set a time also, I have mine to act different if its between 10 and 12. Not exactly what you're looking for but for the most part should work

Bigbootyman

Reaction score
Actually, the RMHD DOES have magnetic dock recognition. I own both the desk and car docks.
I don't know were the magnet in the car dock is located.
The desk cradle actually comes with a special "magnetic" charging cord that puts the phone in dock mode. There is no magnet in the desk cradle. You actually need to have the plug connected in the phone, in order to make desk mode work.

droidxep

Reaction score
Its not driven by magnet, something about the pins in the head of the charger

droidxep

Reaction score
There's a combo package you can find online. I had it and returned it because my phone kept restarting in the car dock

OP
J

jaja714

Reaction score
There's a combo package you can find online. I had it and returned it because my phone kept restarting in the car dock

Before I posted, I actually already performed an "online" search. However, I did not find ANY car mount for RMHD and the home dock I found for the RMHD was just a wobbly stand that came with a cable. Some review claimed the cable was "smart" other reviews claimed the cable was just an ordinary cable. All this ambiguity is why I asked for the links to the products.

So, the question still remains, can you (or anyone) provide links to these products? Perhaps they don't exist yet because the RMHD is so new?

clintro

Reaction score
Car Mount is at the Verizon store, I bought it the day after I purchased the phone. (they didn't have any in stock)

Here is a review of the car dock. I am still waiting on a desktop charger :( (I dont want the stupid floating in mid air one on the commercials. it looks cool, but I dont want to have to manually plug it in each time....

Motorola Droid RAZR HD Accessories Reviews

OP
J

jaja714

Reaction score
Thanks for the link. I was searching Amazon and Google ("razr maxx hd car DOCK") and my results always showed a car dock which had the ports on the top of the phone while my RMHD, of course, has the ports on the lower left edge. It didn't occur to me to search for "razr maxx hd car MOUNT"!

Ok, now that we have found the correct dock/mount, I'm still curious whether the RMHD recognizes when it is in the car dock/mount? That is, does it go into "car dock" mode? If so, how does it know that it is in the car dock/mount (magnet or smart-cable)?

p.s. nobody should want that wobbly desk stand.

rverginia

Reaction score
Car Dock and Desk Dock

Thanks for the link. I was searching Amazon and Google ("razr maxx hd car DOCK") and my results always showed a car dock which had the ports on the top of the phone while my RMHD, of course, has the ports on the lower left edge. It didn't occur to me to search for "razr maxx hd car MOUNT"!

Ok, now that we have found the correct dock/mount, I'm still curious whether the RMHD recognizes when it is in the car dock/mount? That is, does it go into "car dock" mode? If so, how does it know that it is in the car dock/mount (magnet or smart-cable)?

p.s. nobody should want that wobbly desk stand.

I have both docks. The car dock does switch into the car mode and it is magnetic. The desk dock (the wobbly thing) is switched by the charger plug. I really liked the old dock and would like to have that instead of the "gotta plug it in" one.

OP
J

jaja714

Reaction score
I have both docks. The car dock does switch into the car mode and it is magnetic. The desk dock (the wobbly thing) is switched by the charger plug. I really liked the old dock and would like to have that instead of the "gotta plug it in" one.

Hmmm... when I hover my Droid X over a small magnet, I can get it to go into "car dock" or "home dock" based on position of the magnet and whether or not the magnet is positive (right side up) or negative (upside down). When I hover my RMHD over the magnet, I get nothing. Perhaps the car mount is not magnetic but, instead, uses a different smart cable?

Can you confirm the car dock is magnetic by plugging it's cable directly into the phone, thus circumventing the mount itself?​

rverginia

Reaction score
The dock is magnetic. I put the phone in without the power cord attached and it switched into car mode.
Another cool feature about the car dock is you can use it as a dash cam and video tape while you drive.

droidxep

Reaction score
The dock is magnetic. I put the phone in without the power cord attached and it switched into car mode.
Another cool feature about the car dock is you can use it as a dash cam and video tape while you drive.

Its not magnetic, the built in piece on the car dock that goes into the port is what triggers it. There's an extra pin in there that triggers car mode