Made the switch from Blackberry to Droid and disappointed so far

tkoutlas

Reaction score
I recently traded my blackberry curve to the droid 2 and so far disappointed. Here's a list why

1. I used ym and bbm to chat with a lot on my blackberry and of course there isnt bbm on the droid so now i rely on ym solely. There is a lot of connection issues and pages getting lost mostly never recd. So when people do not receive my messages there isnt an option to mail the chat like there was on blackberry ym. If the receiver doesnt get the page then you cant email the conversation and you cant even copy and paste it either.

2. it's difficult to use copy and paste. i cannot copy text from webpages nor from ym.

3. the keyboard is different - this will be take care of itself in time

4. i cant have my hotmail messages go directly to my inbox. i actually have to login to hotmail from a web browser to check the messages.

5. the battery life is horrible

The bottom line is i miss my blackberry and the droid cause me too much stress. i will have to buy a blackberry for my personal phone now and use the droid solely for work calls. I will also direct all my incoming email to my personal blackberry. The droid for me is only nice due to apps.

Elysian

Reaction score
Then you're doing it wrong.

Try eBuddy instead of Yahoo. Battery life should get better as the battery breaks in, if not, root and install a low voltage kernel. Copy/Paste from web pages is easy, hold the shift key on the keyboard then select the text you want to copy. In Yahoo, try long pressing the message, see if that brings up a dialog box(not real sure on this one, I don't use YM, I use eBuddy).

Last edited by a moderator:

UNC

Reaction score
You can definetely push Hotmail.... I've been doing it since droid launch.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

OP
T

tkoutlas

Reaction score
i am sure eventually i may eat my words but for now i miss my blackberry:((

OP
T

tkoutlas

Reaction score
well then i guess i am doing it wrong. i am actually not technically challenged and learn fairly quickly. i may be going at it with a closed mind though as it doesnt do a few things that i want it to with ym.I will try setting up my hotmail again:D

timmyh253

Reaction score
Kik messenger is very similar to BBM, just thought I'd let you know

Last edited:

nateccnn

Reaction score
It's a learnign curve and I think you already figured that out The first two days I had my Droid I felt the same way. My previous phone was a WM, and that was NOT the phone I missed but befopre the WM I had a Palm. Palm was what I missed. Anyhow...since learning how Android works I can say I am much happier than ever before. But to be fair, I've never used a Blackberry so I don't know what you miss. From my uderstanding, Blackberry makes a very reliable system for business users. It's definately a solid phone. Sop is the iPhone. But Android gives us ability to make it do what we want it to do with no strings attached and that can frustrate some folks. If you make it do something there is usually a compromise and we don't like that part. LOL

Give it some time. Read the forums. It is a functional tool, but may not be the right tool for you. Only way to find out is to learn and try new things.

Nate

DroidJT

Reaction score
I recently traded my blackberry curve to the droid 2 and so far disappointed. Here's a list why

1. I used ym and bbm to chat with a lot on my blackberry and of course there isnt bbm on the droid so now i rely on ym solely. There is a lot of connection issues and pages getting lost mostly never recd. So when people do not receive my messages there isnt an option to mail the chat like there was on blackberry ym. If the receiver doesnt get the page then you cant email the conversation and you cant even copy and paste it either.

2. it's difficult to use copy and paste. i cannot copy text from webpages nor from ym.

4. i cant have my hotmail messages go directly to my inbox. i actually have to login to hotmail from a web browser to check the messages.

Common complaints from BB converts. I came from a Curve and Storm so I was ready to use the Droid's on-screen keyboard, but that was just one issue. Lots of good answers before I could rattle this off, but....

1) Most people suggest Google talk as a logical BBM replacement (ymmv) but it's not a direct match (ebuddy, kik, and others IM's mentioned are great suggestions). Until Rim opens BBM to other platforms, I'm okay with Gtalk.

2) Copy and past is easier with the phys keyboard open by pressing the shift key. (Works on Droid1?)

3) I use the onscreen keyboard and like it better, but there are on screen replacement apps in the market (ex, Better keyboard has the blackberry keyboard. Suretype, portrait, and landscape)

4) Many options. The easy way -- Hotmail is pop3, right? Just use the email client on the phone or "K9 mail" (in market). Try the info on this link for incoming and outgoing: What are Windows Live Hotmail's POP3 and SMTP settings?

5) There are extended batteries, but without spending money, you can get a lot more out of the phone by adjusting screen , desktop background (no live wp), and disable running services until needed (BT, GPS, WiFi). Add "power control" widget to a screen for easy access to on/off (caution - some widgets always run in background can drain battery too).

Last edited:

diverbelow

Reaction score

The bottom line is i miss my blackberry and the droid cause me too much stress. i will have to buy a blackberry for my personal phone now and use the droid solely for work calls. I will also direct all my incoming email to my personal blackberry. The droid for me is only nice due to apps.

1. I used ym and bbm to chat with a lot on my blackberry and of course there isnt bbm on the droid so now i rely on ym solely. There is a lot of connection issues and pages getting lost mostly never recd. So when people do not receive my messages there isnt an option to mail the chat like there was on blackberry ym. If the receiver doesnt get the page then you cant email the conversation and you cant even copy and paste it either. - there are better IM clients that are out there.

2. it's difficult to use copy and paste. i cannot copy text from webpages nor from ym. - agreed but in Gingerbread it will a lot better.

3. the keyboard is different - this will be take care of itself in time - or you can try others out there.

4. i cant have my hotmail messages go directly to my inbox. i actually have to login to hotmail from a web browser to check the messages. - Here is a great way to setup Hotmail that goes to the email client. I know this works since I did the samething for my wife's Droid.

5. the battery life is horrible - Here is what I did to improve my battery life. I installed Y5-Saver which is for controlling the WiFi on your phone, and turn off GPS (since it is huge battery drainer) unless you need it.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
5) There are extended batteries, but without spending money, you can get a lot more out of the phone by adjusting screen , desktop background (no live wp), and disable running services until needed (BT, GPS, WiFi). Add "power control" widget to a screen for easy access to on/off (caution - some widgets always run in background can drain battery too).

Respectfully, I disagree with this and here is why. When you do all these things you are limiting the ability of the phone. The OP has a Droid 2 and I suggest that what he should do about the battery is purchase an extra battery or 2. You can get them on Amazon for about 8.00. You can get wall chargers for the battery off of eBay for about 5.00.

This way you're not worried about the battery and you can enjoy your phone more and use it as it was meant to be used. Quite honestly turning off Bluetooth, WiFi and GPS really doesn't use that much battery unless there is an app using it. That's easy enough to see in the Battery Manager. There is a problem with the Battery Manager and the D2 but the results I experienced are the same as a D1.

One other thing OP. You may not be able to make the adjustment. Some people simply can't do it. But I would bet 95% of the people who switch do so keep trying to work with it. Give Google Talk a try, tell your Blackberry friends that you're over there now. If they want they can follow you on Gtalk. But if you can't make the switch then don't feel bad. You're definitely not alone. Droid isn't for everybody.

Cdjones187

Reaction score

1. Im sure there is a third party app that will do what your BB did. Look around the market

2. Menu>More>Select Text (or Menu+e) Long press text box to paste.

3. I'm still laughing at this one. Should of got a DROID Pro.

4. Hotmail can be pushed. Just needs set up in e-mail.

5. If you expected the same battery life as your BB, good luck finding a smartphone that does, especially a touch screen none the less.

Sorry to hear your not liking your Android experience. My suggestion is get to know the phone more. OR return the D2 (you have 30 days from your purchase date) and get a DROID Pro, sounds like that would be more suitable for you. (I know you BB users and that damned crampy keyboard you all love, DROID Pro will make you feel more at home)

Last edited:

Cdjones187

Reaction score
It's a learnign curve and I think you already figured that out The first two days I had my Droid I felt the same way. My previous phone was a WM, and that was NOT the phone I missed but befopre the WM I had a Palm. Palm was what I missed. Anyhow...since learning how Android works I can say I am much happier than ever before. But to be fair, I've never used a Blackberry so I don't know what you miss. From my uderstanding, Blackberry makes a very reliable system for business users. It's definately a solid phone. Sop is the iPhone. But Android gives us ability to make it do what we want it to do with no strings attached and that can frustrate some folks. If you make it do something there is usually a compromise and we don't like that part. LOL

Give it some time. Read the forums. It is a functional tool, but may not be the right tool for you. Only way to find out is to learn and try new things.

Nate

THIS ^^^^^^^ From what I've come to grips with is people don't want to learn how to use the OS, so they talk it down and say it sucks and its hard to use. I call it being lazy. Not saying the OP is this way just saying in general this is why people don't like Android. I got into it with a friend that just got a new Windows Phone 7 handset and say its better than android just because its easier to use. I laughed and asked them if they could copy/paste and they gave me the finger! teheh dancedroid

BodyBagz

Reaction score
Add another vote to the Droid Pro...this deice was built and released to compete directly with the BlackBerry for corporate/business users. If you are coming from a BB, then this would more than likely be a better "Android break-in" device....