Made the switch from Blackberry to Droid and disappointed so far

UNC

Reaction score
Add another vote to the Droid Pro...this deice was built and released to compete directly with the BlackBerry for corporate/business users. If you are coming from a BB, then this would more than likely be a better "Android break-in" device....

+ 1 for the DroidPro

Arcadian

Reaction score
Give it some time my motherinlaw just went from the storm to the d2 and it took her a while to adjust but now she loves it. She uses it for buisness/personal and it fits good with both.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Arcadian

Reaction score
You can definetely push Hotmail.... I've been doing it since droid launch.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

It will only work with premium msn/hotmail accounts from what I've been told. That's what I use so I can't verify.

Sweettooth

Reaction score
Have faith in Android, there's a reason it has killed off Blackberry faster than the plague. You certainly can't be close minded about a open platform. :)

UNC

Reaction score

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

It will only work with premium msn/hotmail accounts from what I've been told. That's what I use so I can't verify.

Link Hotmail to your Gmail account through Gmail on your browser.... Then you get Hotmail "pushed". The problem is that Hotmail makes you wait 15 minutes before every refresh... So it's not really "pushed".

You can then respond to all of your Hotmail messages with a simple "I'm switching to Gmail for PUSH, please send future messages to [email protected]." added to the end...

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
it's difficult to use copy and paste. i cannot copy text from webpages nor from ym.
That is a shortcoming on the Android side IMO.

the keyboard is different - this will be take care of itself in time
Some adjust, some don't. I find Swype helpful. YMMV depending on your preferences.

i cant have my hotmail messages go directly to my inbox. i actually have to login to hotmail from a web browser to check the messages.
What exactly have you tried so far in setting it up with the email app?

the battery life is horrible
This is going to require some leg work on your part. You need to figure out what's using up your battery and address the major battery hogs. There are a number of threads here that you can reference.

The bottom line is i miss my blackberry and the droid cause me too much stress. i will have to buy a blackberry for my personal phone now and use the droid solely for work calls. I will also direct all my incoming email to my personal blackberry. The droid for me is only nice due to apps.
Again, YMMV. I can't imagine going back to my BB. Actually, my old personal BB is now my work BB. I use it daily and really wish I didn't have to. Android is far more versatile IMO.

Then you're doing it wrong.
Or the OP just doesn't prefer Android. Despite what fanboys might think, there is no one-size-fits-all mobile OS.

There are extended batteries, but without spending money, you can get a lot more out of the phone by adjusting screen , desktop background (no live wp), and disable running services until needed (BT, GPS, WiFi).
GPS won't significantly affect your battery unless it's actively being used. However, if you have apps that intermittently use the GPS receiver (they're not uncommon) then it might be easier just to shut it off until needed if their GPS usage is killing your battery. Of course, if you want to use those location-aware features then you'll want to leave it on.

I leave mine on as GPS is only used when I intend to use it.

UNC isn't referring to ActiveSync as ActiveSync wasn't available for Hotmail at Droid launch. However, ActiveSync is an option for Hotmail and provides push email. This link was posted by diverbelow in this very thread and covers setting up Hotmail with ActiveSync:
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...s/76104-hotmail-android-finally-good-way.html

Last edited:
C

Chuluotababe

I completely understand where tkoutlas is coming from. I've been using a Droid Incredible for about 6 months. While there are some great features - screen, internet browser, and apps - all those things just can't compare to the Blackberry email and physical keyboard. I'm not using the apps nearly as much as I thought I would, the google maps navigation has been wrong and gotten me lost several times, and the battery life is terrible. I'm actually thinking about re-activating my old BB Tour with the half broken track ball just because I miss it so much. Maybe Verizon will offer a Torch equivalent soon? I know... this is utter blasphemy. Please accept my apologies.

Kessler J

Reaction score
As everyone else said, many of those issues can be fixed easily without rooting.

Then once you get a little more comfortable with the OS, rooting opens up a whole new world.

There are a vast amount of reasons the Android OS is superior to Blackberry. The main one being the architecture of the way apps are handled. More apps on BB=more lag. Not the case on Android. 100+ apps here and my OG droid runs like a dream. I couldn't be happier with a phone, especially one thats already a year old. If it weren't for that blasted etna, i'd probably stick with it.

The only thing I miss about my Storm is the 256 bit AES encryption on the whole shabang. I'd imagine there's an app or ROM floating around somewhere that does it though.

Give it a chance. Suspend skepticism and learn your way around it. You'll be glad you did.
dancedroiddancedroiddancedroiddancedroid

I sure don't miss staring at the hourglass while an app tries to open then waiting 5-10 minutes for it to reboot because I had too many apps and it crashed.

Backjudge

Reaction score
I just used this to setup my Hotmail account and it works perfectly with smtp port 587:

The Short Version​
Receiving: pop3.live.com, port 995, SSL
Sending: smtp.live.com, port 587 (or 25), TLS (or SSL)
Use your full Hotmail email address and password for login credentials. Sending requires authentication as well.

Took a few seconds to sync but there they are.

I also came froma BB Storm and loved it until it started to hang and crash when I loaded apps. It's just not built for those like the Droid.

Good luck tkoutlas.

steve113

Reaction score
I'm glad to see this thread. I have a BlackBerry and I am thinking about switching to the Droid 2 (I think I would do better with an actual keyboard). I was wanting to switch to take advantage of of all the apps available.

It's always said that Blackberry is best for email. I had a question, when you have multiple email accounts ( a couple yahoo, a couple gmail, and 2 others) do you get a separate mailbox for each email account like you do on BlackBerry? Does Android reconcile email accounts i.e., if I read or delete a message on the phone it will be marked read or deleted on the web interface and vice versa.

Thanks,

Steve

Kessler J

Reaction score
I'm glad to see this thread. I have a BlackBerry and I am thinking about switching to the Droid 2 (I think I would do better with an actual keyboard). I was wanting to switch to take advantage of of all the apps available.

It's always said that Blackberry is best for email. I had a question, when you have multiple email accounts ( a couple yahoo, a couple gmail, and 2 others) do you get a separate mailbox for each email account like you do on BlackBerry? Does Android reconcile email accounts i.e., if I read or delete a message on the phone it will be marked read or deleted on the web interface and vice versa.

Thanks,

Steve

I was big on the physical keyboard too, but the longer I have my droid the less I find myself using it. Once you get the hang of the landscape keyboard, you can type pretty fast with it with only slightly more errors.

As far as email reconciliation, i'm 99% sure its possible with other accounts, and the gmail app does it seamlessly. I have a gmail widget for Chrome and when an email comes in and I delete it or read or something, the notification is usually gone from Chrome within 5-10 seconds. So it's pretty quick too.

Gmail is all I use so I don't know for sure about other accounts. I don't see why it wouldn't be able to do all you mentioned though.