Letters falling off on droid keyboard

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Sounds defective - they didn't cut the sheet...

It's molded to look like individual keys, but it's just one large flexible piece of plastic. It may be 'defective', but I like it. Seems better made than one with 100 individual pieces of plastic.

The way that mine and Kristoff's is made is the only way that really makes sense from a manufacturing standpoint. 100 individual pieces of plastic for keys makes a lot less sense than one large piece of plastic that's formed to look like a keyboard....

jrod1990

Reaction score
I have that problem with the delete key, my bottom right part of the key is peeling up everytime I slide open the keyboard. I thought it might be the top part of the case but nothing hangs down.

toastedoats

Reaction score
The first droid I had brand new the keys were all uneven and wavy, eventually they started to peel up a bit, first certified replacement wasnt any better. second certified replacement the keys are actually flat.

I think the manufacturing is at fault

Erron

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
I have a thoery about this. I am on my third droid. On the first the keys came bubbly. The second flat, but looked less flat when i got the third. on the third ive noted by photo and day one they were flat and are now bubbly. So the keyboard does get less flat over time. But just as others, mine is a solid piece. Least it looks like it. I think they all get less flat over time. Some peel which is bad news. But motorola will replace it. I don't see it as a huge deal. You never go without a phone. They send you a phone then you activate it and youre back up and running.

iamloco724

Reaction score
I have a thoery about this. I am on my third droid. On the first the keys came bubbly. The second flat, but looked less flat when i got the third. on the third ive noted by photo and day one they were flat and are now bubbly. So the keyboard does get less flat over time. But just as others, mine is a solid piece. Least it looks like it. I think they all get less flat over time. Some peel which is bad news. But motorola will replace it. I don't see it as a huge deal. You never go without a phone. They send you a phone then you activate it and youre back up and running.

motorola replaces it or verizon..and how arent you without a phone do they send you a new phone first then you send your back please tell me how this works?

im having this problem now all the sudden my g and v key my g especially are coming off i had the g in my hand i had to place it back on and hold the key down for a min for it to stick back

is it safe to to superglue these things back on as long as your carful?

MiXoLoGiSt

Reaction score

motorola replaces it or verizon..and how arent you without a phone do they send you a new phone first then you send your back please tell me how this works?

im having this problem now all the sudden my g and v key my g especially are coming off i had the g in my hand i had to place it back on and hold the key down for a min for it to stick back

I wouldn't. I would just get a replacement. A ghetto rigged phone is no good for anyone.

iamloco724

Reaction score
I've had the phone since the first week it was released and have no insurance how do I get this replaced free of charge and who do I go through verizon or motorola

ViciousCircle

Android Addict
Premium Member
Reaction score

A different Moto phone I had a while back had problems. When Moto replaced it for me (no real issue getting them to replace it either, I used their online chat with tech support to get it replaced), they sent me a new one, with a box to send the old one back once the new one arrived. So, I wasn't without a phone at all.

smrivera80

Reaction score
My keyboard looks like one flat piece, as well, molded to look like individual keys. I purchased my phone (well, I received it and activated it) on March 25. I'm not having a problem with peeling, but that may be because I very rarely use the keyboard, in favor of the virtual keyboard. I don't think this style of keyboard is defective or a manufacturing error; it seems to be designed very deliberately this way.

Sweettooth

Reaction score
Perhaps when the keys were being molded, they included an extra ingredient which would allow for slight morphing after being exposed to a given temperature over a period of time. The heat from the Droid is causing the flat letters to rise, like cookies in the oven! As for peeling letters, I've had mine since like, December 3rd and haven't experienced this problem, but yeah, go buy some Gorilla Glue. That key will never come off again, and if any squirts out the sides and dries, your phone might never slide open again. ;)

AquaDan88

Reaction score
My experience: I've been through 6 Droids in the past 2 months. My first (and original) had a problem with the headphone jack shorting out after 4 months of use. Verizon sent me a "Certified Like-New Replacement" which is basically this: Verizon take all of our problem phones that we send back and sends them to a 3rd party refurbishing firm. The 3rd party refurbisher sends the phone back to Verizon, and they send them out as "Certified Like-New Replacements."

To continue my phone story, Verizon sent me a refurbished phone. This one was put together rather shabby, and had a piece of foam jetting out from the side of the screen. I sent it back, and they sent me another one. This one had the screen inserted crooked, so I sent that one back. Got another one, and the proximity sensor was faulty and would just the screen completely off while in a call. Got another one from the Verizon store this time so I could visually inspect it before I left. All seemed OK until I got home and noticed that a screw on the back side of the screen was lose, and scratching the heck out of the keyboard. Sent it back and finally got one that seems to work perfectly and have no issues.

My advice, there's no other alternative besides going through Verizon. Their "Certified Like-New Replacements" are pretty shotty, but hang in there, and you should get a decent one eventually. If you are really having trouble, and you have insurance, drop it in a bucket of water, or run it over with your car, pay the $89 and get a brand new one from Asurion. Unfortunately, you'll never get a new one from Verizon.

Kalivos

Reaction score
When I got my keyboard, all the keys were flat. Used it for 2 weeks, they all kinda bloated out, you could feel them individually. As of two weeks okay, S, D, K, M, and Y are peeling off. S actually fell off the other night.

pudah

Reaction score
I got a replacement Droid and it looked like the keys were going to have this issue. In face some would catch on my fingernail or the edge of my thumb as I slid my fingers along the keyboard. Looking at the keyboard from the side they looked curved upward on the edges. Over time the keys have shaped themselves so the centers are raised and the edges are lower with a slight dome shape. It has a better feel, the keys no longer look like they'll fall off and my finger slide nicely along the keyboard without catching. For me, anyway, it corrected itself with time and use. I guess they needed to be broken in.

iamloco724

Reaction score
i really prefer not to replace it just cause of this and then go through the process and wind up with a phone that has other problems like many others have...ive had 0 problems with this phone since day one this is my only one

i figure if glue is safe on there and done carefully that should be fine right?

to avoid what was said above i would leave the keyboard slid out to dry and make sure its not leaking on sides or doesnt stick the key down..should only need very very lil to keep it on..but i think it sucks if i were to have to return it for this considering i dont have any problems since launch