lag when using phone after ics

eodguy2

Reaction score
I have noticed a major lag on ics (going from different functions most of time also) especially when using phone. its getting very ridiculous that it takes several seconds in order to open function with out it freezing etc. any ideas.

Exalted911

Reaction score
I have noticed a major lag on ics (going from different functions most of time also) especially when using phone. its getting very ridiculous that it takes several seconds in order to open function with out it freezing etc. any ideas.

You should not be getting that type of lag, if anything ICS is faster than GB. Did you do a factory reset after you installed ICS? if not do it and it should resolve your problem. I know its a drag reinstalling all your apps but your phone should work great once you FR.

OP
E

eodguy2

Reaction score
I may have to do that because its not very comfortable with the lag!

jwilly216

Reaction score
No, you're right about the lag- mine is ridiculous. Especially when trying to call someone. I click on call Mom like 4 times, wait 4 seconds...and then it pops up dialing. I was wondering who else noticed this issue. Wtf? I was so excited for how fast ics was
Plus I'm running 1.2 ghz.... Wtf mate

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Like exalted said, do a data factory reset (fdr), it will be a huge improvement. Without an fdr, your phone is bogged down with data and conflicts from two os systems (GB and ICS). To make doing an fdr a little less painless, follow these steps I copied from a previous post:

2). Backup the information: call logs, bookmarks, data, apps, pics, etc that you want to make sure you retain: Here are my suggestions I posted before but it is not the only way to accomplish this task.
*I use MyBackup and SMS Backup & Restore.
*I backup pretty much everything except with MyBackup except for texts (use the SMS B&R for that) and photos, media & music because I keep those on my ext-sd card.
*I also go into individual apps and use their backup if they have one. I actually keep a list of all my apps where it has this feature.
*I backup my texts using SMS Backup & Restore (it gives you many more options for backing up your texts than MyBackup does).
*After I do the fdr, I first go into play store and make sure it is not automatically installing all my apps and stop if it is... cuz I want to do those one at a time. Usually I discover there are apps I do not use or want anymore this way.
*Then I go into SMS B& R and restore my texts.
*Then I install my apps, one at a time and open the ones I use most or that have their own backup & restore feature... I check to see if they are still the way I had them. Some are, some aren't. Then I go to the app's setting and restore for the ones that have that feature.
*I make sure my emails are set up. I use Enhanced Email, so all I have to do is restore them. Not sure what other email programs have this feature.
*Then as I use my phone and use my various apps, I either reset them up fresh or I will use MyBackup to restore their previous settings.
*I probably missed a few steps that I typically do because it is fairly automatic for me but that is close.

3).Do a Factory Data Reset. You ensure a fresh clean device by doing this and limit the risk of any conflicts between old stuff and new stuff. I recommend doing it from the recovery menu but it can also be done through settings --> privacy.

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
No, you're right about the lag- mine is ridiculous. Especially when trying to call someone. I click on call Mom like 4 times, wait 4 seconds...and then it pops up dialing. I was wondering who else noticed this issue. Wtf? I was so excited for how fast ics was
Plus I'm running 1.2 ghz.... Wtf mate

I've found that i have to power off, and then power back on every few days with ICS to prevent this.

OP
E

eodguy2

Reaction score
Well , i will have to say that as much a pain in the arse it was to do a factory reset, i can say BIG difference. Just too bad you have to do it to make phone run smooth after ics

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
You are going to be so glad you did though eodguy! It is like having a brand new phone. Now you can actually start enjoying ICS ... instead of cursing it (well, you may curse it some but nothing like before)!

Bleeder

Reaction score
I had the same issue right after updating. Instead of a reset I went to settings> developer tools and switched the 'windows animation scale' and 'transition animation scale' to off. No lag since.

mdreptile

Reaction score
first post necro - because you have improved my phone so much with this advice. those settings have apparently been plaguing my phone for ages! my regular RAZR runs way better now, so happy new year and hope more RAZR users come here...