Redraw lag stock launcher

brochaos

Reaction score
Is it possible to force the homescreens always to use portrait mode, but allow apps to use landscape mode like normal?

if you use a alternative launcher, then yes. they have their own setting, while the system still has its own setting.

for the record, i'm rooted, using ADW, keep in memory, and compcache, and i get ZERO redraws. not taking it out of the dock, not opening the keyboard and then exiting an app. with LP, i was able to elimnate all redraws except for those 2 circumstances.

bigee1212

Reaction score
Is it possible to force the homescreens always to use portrait mode, but allow apps to use landscape mode like normal?

if you use a alternative launcher, then yes. they have their own setting, while the system still has its own setting.

for the record, i'm rooted, using ADW, keep in memory, and compcache, and i get ZERO redraws. not taking it out of the dock, not opening the keyboard and then exiting an app. with LP, i was able to elimnate all redraws except for those 2 circumstances.

This is what I am doing right now, even tho I rarely got redraws with launcher pro... those cases you mentioned irritate me, so im using adw forcing portrait mode. thus, 0 redraws. i put in a request with fede to add that feature into LP. shouldnt be hard. I prefer LP to adw and i bought the plus version (love those widgets).

but adw has gotten way better since i last used it.

alwerner

Reaction score
I'm having similar problem with my Droid. I'm using the stock launcher though I'm wondering if the lag goes away after a reset. I have been running 500 hours.

comk4ver

Reaction score
me three

however, I'm rooted, on launcher pro, I've been trolling around the forums and have several ways.
1) clean up your homescreens: yes, get rid of unnecessary widgets and app icons. it'll load up faster. Or even use less homescreens.
2) If your kernel supports it, enable compcache. Also, wipe your Dalvik cache.
3)In sprecovery make a backup of DATA only. Back out to the main menu. Wipe data and clear cache at least 3 times (yes I know some don't think this is needed but I beg to differ). Restore your newly created DATA only backup. My redraws stopped. Something must be building up in the cache that slows the whole system. Worth a shot.....
4) try the "keep in memory" option
5) If you use ADW or LauncherPro and if after using your browser, email or any other apps for awhile, then if you press the 'HOME' button, if it takes forever to redraw your home screen, and you are sick of that HORRIBLE LAG, then try this: In a terminal, type su and enter. Then type echo ro.HOME_APP_ADJ=1 >> /data/local.prop and enter. Then reboot. Now evaluate whether or not this fixes your lag. If you want to undo what this command does, simply remove that toggle from: /data/local.prop
6)
Try removing the Set CPU widget or setting its refresh rate over 15 sec.
these are all suggestions recommeneded on this forum in regards to the redrawing effect of the launchers good luck!

Buckweat

Reaction score
I am aware of the alternative answers, but my question wasn't suggestions for alternative launchers, it was if anyone else was having problems with an essentially broken stock launcher on Froyo.

I was thinking if you tried a different launcher and had no issues at all,then the problem would be in your stock launcher, if you still have problems then it would at least help narrow down what the problem could be.

Even with Launcher Pro I still have redraw issues when opening an app in portrait mode, switching to landscape and then pressing home without going back to portrait mode first

If you only want to know if people are having problems with the stock launcher or not then the answer is No

Correction, the answer is YES. I have been have issues with stock redraw since 2.1 to 2.2 and now even 2.2.1 FRG83D all have been stock. I use the keyboard all the time and it literally take 5 seconds. In today fast pace life styles I dont have time. Im extremely disappointed with this issue. I even did a hard reset and it still is wiggity wack!

Daethian

Reaction score
After having my phone wiped 2, replaced once and wiped again I don't think its the SD card at all. With NO apps installed no redraw lag. Verizon told me tough **** so I started reinstalling my apps slowly, leaving behind all but the most necessary (to me). NONE to the SD card and yet the lag returned.

Someone mentioned manually installing the 79MB update over the OTA. Might I also mention that from a discussion in another thread, it seems the SD card may also be to blame. If you install a number of apps to SD you may notice how long it takes for their pictures to appear if you have them on the homescreens. I theorized that the speed of the SD card may be slowing the phone down because the data cannot be accessed quick enough. This may ultimately mean that we'd need a more efficient SD card if the Droid will support it, otherwise Apps2SD may be a useless gem if you're aiming for speed.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Wiping doesn't touch the SD card

After having my phone wiped 2, replaced once and wiped again I don't think its the SD card at all. With NO apps installed no redraw lag. Verizon told me tough **** so I started reinstalling my apps slowly, leaving behind all but the most necessary (to me). NONE to the SD card and yet the lag returned.

Someone mentioned manually installing the 79MB update over the OTA. Might I also mention that from a discussion in another thread, it seems the SD card may also be to blame. If you install a number of apps to SD you may notice how long it takes for their pictures to appear if you have them on the homescreens. I theorized that the speed of the SD card may be slowing the phone down because the data cannot be accessed quick enough. This may ultimately mean that we'd need a more efficient SD card if the Droid will support it, otherwise Apps2SD may be a useless gem if you're aiming for speed.

DroidForums junkie!!

Daethian

Reaction score
I'm now rooted and overclocked and redraw lag continues. Its like herpes, it never really goes away. UGH

It may have to do with under-clocking apparently. Raise your minimum clock speed to stock when screen is on and see if that solves the problem. Or just use launcherpro, that solved the issue for me.

Daethian

Reaction score
When they told me I to exchange for a new handset I reformatted my SD card. Made no difference.

Wiping doesn't touch the SD card

DroidForums junkie!!

Googleaddict

Reaction score
I had this all the time with my droid, drove me insane haha. Im guessing it's lack of RAM or your minimum clock speed is too low like somebody else said in this thread.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

dfuser312553

Silver Member
Reaction score
You can try compcache or get rid of some homescreens or Widgets. I run 3 or 4 screens with landscape disabled on ADW ex & get no redraw without compcache.