Redraw lag stock launcher

kingsway8605

Reaction score
Anyone noticing a severe redraw lag with the stock launcher when switching orientation by opening the keyboard, especially if you open the keyboard in an app and then leave the app with the keyboard still open? Stock Froyo.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
Do you have a Task Killer installed, if so this is probably the root of your problem

OP
K

kingsway8605

Reaction score
Negative. But it driving me insane waiting for the launcher to restart everytime I open or close the keyboard. I understand some redraw because it has to redraw itself for landscape orientation, but this is like a 10 second lag.

NeoandGeo

Reaction score
Using 2.2? I only experienced it when I left 2.1

It happens to nearly everyone now, across all ROMs.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
You could try a different Home Launcher, there are better than stock ones out there, I use Launcher Pro, and ADW is another popular one, search the market

OP
K

kingsway8605

Reaction score
I am aware of the alternative answers, but my question wasn't suggestions for alternative launchers, it was if anyone else was having problems with an essentially broken stock launcher on Froyo.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
I am aware of the alternative answers, but my question wasn't suggestions for alternative launchers, it was if anyone else was having problems with an essentially broken stock launcher on Froyo.

I was thinking if you tried a different launcher and had no issues at all,then the problem would be in your stock launcher, if you still have problems then it would at least help narrow down what the problem could be.

Even with Launcher Pro I still have redraw issues when opening an app in portrait mode, switching to landscape and then pressing home without going back to portrait mode first

If you only want to know if people are having problems with the stock launcher or not then the answer is No

serveitup911

Reaction score
The redraw problem is basically the only thing I dislike about the Droid. Happens to me on all launchers and all combinations of settings. I use landscape mode a lot for the hard keyboard, and that does make it much worse, as you said. There has to be some hack to ABSOLUTELY FORCE the launcher to stay in memory. The keep in memory options in LP & ADW seem to do nothing.

NeoandGeo

Reaction score
To bring up another point with wacky launcher glitches on Froyo. Sometimes when I open Handcent or Gmail, it will open in landscape mode, even if I am holding the phone portrait. And it usually opens upside down landscape. So weird.

jwd45244

Reaction score
We need to see if the lag in the 2.2 FRG22 build is as bad as the 2.2 FRG01B build. Wait a couple more days

wricks

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
My homescreen redraw issues seemd to be more kernel related. Stock (long time ago), I had no issues with redraw. After installing P3's .125 - 1.2GHz kernel I noticed a slight problem with redraw so I backed it off to 1.1GHz and have noticed it at all. Just my experience and $.02.

johnnycool001

Reaction score
Im running all stock, now after the 2.2 I m having redraw issues everytime it rotates, even with nothing running

Sweettooth

Reaction score
Was looking for a suitable thread on this. I'm having the issue too. As I posted in the official Froyo tech issues thread, the slow redraw seems to occur only after exiting a memory hoarding app or simply opening the keyboard on the home screens, switching it from portrait to landscape and back.

This is particularly annoying when you're trying to quickly zip back and forth between applications. For instance sometimes while I'm texting I might want to use a word or phrase but am unsure if I'm using it in the proper context so I load up the browser and Google it. Unfortunately while it redraws I'm just sitting there dead in the water. The Froyo update isn't perfect but its pro's certainly outweigh its cons, however this particular bug is just painful. Let's hope the supposed second small Froyo update they have planned corrects this issue.

There's always the solution to download a third party launcher, but in my opinion that's less of a solution and more of a bandaid alternative.

Last edited:

Burtonbell

Reaction score
There's always the solution to download a third party launcher, but in my opinion that's less of a solution and more of a bandaid alternative.

I agree with this. Everywhere I search I get the same answers; switch home screen. I am tired of doing that! I am tired of reorganizing my screens every time I install a new launcher. I am tired of putting that bandaid on the problem. I can't tell you how many home screens I tried, Launcher Pro, Helix, Home++ and so on and so on...

I am staying stock, I dont want to root, and I dont mind the stock launcher. Anyone have any more solutions? I downloaded the Auto memory App and set it to aggressive but it still has some serious lag when I hit the home key.

Lachlan

Reaction score
Is it possible to force the homescreens always to use portrait mode, but allow apps to use landscape mode like normal?