Original Droid is LAGGING

shane1v

Reaction score
10-15 seconds lag when I switch from say, an app back to the homescreen. By Lag I mean it takes 10-15 seconds for the icons to show up and the phone becomes functional again. other "lag" issues as well.

I do have about 100 apps but they are not all on my homepages(maybe 20 are) I use the taskkiller often enough, everything is not running at the same time. Is this phone unable to handle that many apps?? It's frustrating to use it now.

Any insight other than lose some apps?

mrtubz69

Reaction score
Well this is an idea, but for a start clean out unused apps. Then I used to just do a factory reset to refresh my old droid and from there you can root it and over clock that baby :) just an idea

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

OP
S

shane1v

Reaction score
Well this is an idea, but for a start clean out unused apps. Then I used to just do a factory reset to refresh my old droid and from there you can root it and over clock that baby :) just an idea

Any downside to rooting and or overclocking a droid?

vonfink13

Reaction score
I would suggest getting rid of the app killer and if you have any anti virus Apps dump them too. Are you running a home replacement app?

Bilgediver

Reaction score
Installing a custom home replacement helps, too.

The only downside is it voids your warranty, and if you do things slightly wrong you can brick your phone and make it unusable.

There are more than enough guides on here that help you out.
I'm rooted, overclocking a little and using an app called "autokiller" (its not a task killer, if you have a task killer, Stop its auto task killing immediately!) - minfree does the same thing, that is, it adjusts androids memory management to maintain more free RAM so that switching back to the homescreen shouldn't take forever.

Droidforums.net appified!

mrtubz69

Reaction score
Of course not, its purely improvement but research it a bit and u can unroot send in for warranty I was scared to until last week :)

OP
S

shane1v

Reaction score
I would suggest getting rid of the app killer and if you have any anti virus Apps dump them too. Are you running a home replacement app?

I do have anti virus. Why is it no good? I will dump just to see if it helps. Alosm why lose the Taskkiller?

No, I'm using the original updated home

OP
S

shane1v

Reaction score
Installing a custom home replacement helps, too.

The only downside is it voids your warranty, and if you do things slightly wrong you can brick your phone and make it unusable.

There are more than enough guides on here that help you out.
I'm rooted, overclocking a little and using an app called "autokiller" (its not a task killer, if you have a task killer, Stop its auto task killing immediately!) - minfree does the same thing, that is, it adjusts androids memory management to maintain more free RAM so that switching back to the homescreen shouldn't take forever.

Droidforums.net appified!

I'll give minfree a looksie, thanks

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Just an FYI Shane, Antivirus are serious resource hogs. If you remove the task killer and the antivirus and still don't see an improvement you do not have to root. A factory data reset will get your Droid right back to speed again.

I'm not trying to talk you out of rooting, I just want to let you know what your options are. I'm rooted myself so I have nothing against it.

OP
S

shane1v

Reaction score
Just an FYI Shane, Antivirus are serious resource hogs. If you remove the task killer and the antivirus and still don't see an improvement you do not have to root. A factory data reset will get your Droid right back to speed again.

I'm not trying to talk you out of rooting, I just want to let you know what your options are. I'm rooted myself so I have nothing against it.

A factory reset will erase all my apps though, yes? If so, I don't really wanna have to get all those apps back

vonfink13

Reaction score
i am not rooted and i have had my droid 1 since day 1...it is fast and does not lag...it is not necessary to root the thing in order to have a solid working droid...

edit: not that anyone said it had to be rooted to work..i just wanted the op to know it can work both ways...

OP
S

shane1v

Reaction score
By the way, thank you everyone for the advice

OP
S

shane1v

Reaction score
i am not rooted and i have had my droid 1 since day 1...it is fast and does not lag...it is not necessary to root the thing in order to have a solid working droid...

Do you have a taskkiller app or anti virus? Do you have a lot of apps?

Why do you think yours is still smooth?