kitcat version of Android; can I upgrade it?

mikecox

Reaction score
I can't move files around on the Ext SD card; I get: Option removed in the kitcat version of Android. Yet I am able to write files to the card when I connect the tablet to my computer.

Is there a way to upgrade the OS to the SD card works like the internal memory, to allow me to copy files to it?

I posted this question to Samsung support but got no repley.

Samsung Galaxy Tablet GT-P5210 ZWYXAR V. 4.2.2

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I am not familiar with that specific model, but most devices have an option in the main Settings for About, About Device, or Update, System Update. One of those options will check to see if a system update is available. Even if it is you will more than likely not see any difference in the Lollipop 5.X version of Android when it comes to SD Card writing. Google clamped down on the SD card permissions starting in KiKat 4.X and it has continued into the next version.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
4.4.2 is the highest that this tablet goes to. The firmware is listed over on sammobile.

OP
mikecox

mikecox

Reaction score
Guess I will just have to live with this issue. But why did Google clamp down on SD card permission? What's the point of providing an SD card slot and not allowing permissions?

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
These days it's more for storing files such as pictures, movies & music, as opposed to apps.

S5 tap'n

OP
mikecox

mikecox

Reaction score
And that's exactly what I use it for; picture, and video files. But I have to plug it into my computer to copy files to it; it just makes no sense. What's the point of a SD card if the tablet refuses to allow the user to access it?

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Are you using the stock file manager app (usually called "my files")? See what happens if you use a different one. I believe I used ES File Manager or Root Explorer (don't have to be rooted to use) when I was on KK, specifically for this reason.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Reactions: cr6
OP
mikecox

mikecox

Reaction score
I do have the stock file manager; "M\"My Files", but I also have "Astro". I haven't used
Astro very often so I'll trying using it the next time I want to copy files to the card, and see what happens. Thanks for the suggestion!

Reactions: cr6

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
ES File Explorer will do it, but you have to grant it Sdcard rights first.

OP
mikecox

mikecox

Reaction score
ES File Explorer will do it, but you have to grant it Sdcard rights first.

I dl'd this app but there is no "grant" option, the message I got was that I would need to Root my tablet. Am I missing something?

I tried to rename a file on the SD card, while plugged into my desktop and all I got was "Not responding". There is no lock/unlock" slider on the card so I'm guessing that's not an issue.

This is maddening! I can't understand the logic of blocking file editing functions on this card.

I'm guessing; short or Rooting, that my only option is to put the card into my computer, drag files from the, almost full, tablet onto it, then plug it back into the tablet.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I have KK on my tablet. Let me see what I can get it to do. I have to let it charge a bit. Guess I left it on.

Last edited:

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Ok, in ES File Explorer, find the files or folders you'd like to move to your external SD card. Long press on those. You can select any of the files once you've long pressed one of them. At the bottom of the screen is the menu. Select "more." Select the option to "Move to" or "Copy to," then select "removable micro sdcard."

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Long press any file to copy over. Check mark it. Press "Copy".
Screenshot_2015-10-25-21-36-45.jpg

Back out of that directory and target your ExtSDCard.

Screenshot_2015-10-25-21-38-53.jpg

Screenshot_2015-10-25-21-40-34.jpg

Now a pop up will tell you that you have to grant ES privileges to enter /write.

Screenshot_2015-10-25-21-32-29.jpg

After pressing the word "Select" you choose the one labeled "SDCard" in the next popup:

Screenshot_2015-10-25-21-43-22.jpg

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I don't get a pop-up asking for ES privileges. I wonder why?