keeping unlimited data

jillybeargirl

Reaction score
I have switched between a 3G and 4G phone six times since the new share everything plans started and I still have my unlimited.

I'm guessing that you already had an unlimited 4G Plan before switching between devices (which wouldn't affect your current plan)... I borrowed my neighbors 3G phone while waiting for my replacement 4G Rezound & was able to switch back & forth with no problem (or change to my existing plan).

I believe as of June 28th Verizon rolled-out their tiered data share plans... I am sure you can "escalate as necessary" all you want but I still believe you will be out of luck. JMHO...

Verizon to end "grandfathered" unlimited data plans this summer

Verizon's Higher Data Tiers May Entice Unlimited Data Users - Forbes

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm guessing that you already had an unlimited 4G Plan before switching between devices (which wouldn't affect your current plan)... I borrowed my neighbors 3G phone while waiting for my replacement 4G Rezound & was able to switch back & forth with no problem (or change to my existing plan).

I believe as of June 28th Verizon rolled-out their tiered data share plans... I am sure you can "escalate as necessary" all you want but I still believe you will be out of luck. JMHO...

That first blurb you quoted is old news and not the updated press release. We have about an 80 page thread discussing it somewhere. VZ made their stance clear once every tech blog picked up and picked apart their first announcement. You're good on you're unlimited as long as you buy a phone at full retail or bring your own device.

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
my conversation with vzw yesterday

nfo: Please hold for a Verizon Wireless sales representative to assist you with your order. Thank you for your patience.
info: You are now chatting with 'Taylor B.'
Taylor B.: Hello. Thank you for visiting our chat service. May I help you with your order today?
justin: quick question . if i am on 3g unlimeted and i have a 4g phone will you guys activate it and let me keep unlimeted?
justin: data is what i am talking about
Taylor B.: Are you upgrading the phone?
justin: yes but i will be buying at full retail not renewing my contract
Taylor B.: You wont have to change your plan if you pay full retail price.
justin: ok thanks so i can jump between 4g and 3g devices and it will not effect my plan?
Taylor B.: No it will not affect your plan.
justin: thanks
Taylor B.: Is there anything else I can help you with?
justin: no thanks
Taylor B.: Thank you for visiting Verizon Wireless; it’s been a pleasure chatting with you. Have a great day!

kevins686

Reaction score
my conversation with vzw yesterday

justin: ok thanks so i can jump between 4g and 3g devices and it will not effect my plan?
Taylor B.: No it will not affect your plan.

Look at how that smarmy person corrected your use of "effect"! ;-)

I'm just wondering if they're eventually going to find a way to snooker all the grandfathered users into a tiered data plan. I've had 4G since May of 2011, and I'm under the same contract that I signed then. I'm planning on buying a Razr Maxx at full retail here soon, and despite what I've been reading, I'm wondering if I'm going to encounter static. I get the sense that these last few stragglers still clinging to their unlimited data are a real thorn in Verizon's side, and that they want everyone migrated to a tiered plan as soon as possible. I mean, is the honest consensus here that as long as you don't re-up a contract, unlimited will be around indefinitely? Say, two years from now? Five years?

Last edited by a moderator:

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
What if I'm transferring from a 3g phone to a 4g? Will I still be unlimited?
Going from 3G to 4G LTE means nothing, they are both DATA plans, Verizon or any carrier does not look at it like that, and yes, as long as you purchase the phone from anywhere or get it as a gift from someone or find it on the street, you can activate it to your account with no problems, and your account will stay the same.

I own an S3 and an HTC Rezound, I use both phones, all I do is just remove the SIM card from one phone and swap it to the other phone, I can do that as long as I want, and the same will hold if I buy or find another phone, as long as the SIM fits I am good to go.

Last edited:

mysticalmalissa

Reaction score

I have an unlimited DATA plan...doesnt matter if its 3g or 4g.
Your first link is very old news and only pertains to people who renew their contract and buy a phone at subsidized price.
Anyone who took advantage of an upgrade before 6/28 is good to go with unlimited for the next two years and can use which ever smartphone they wish on the line.

mysticalmalissa

Reaction score
I own an S3 and an HTC Rezound, I use both phones, all I do is just remove the SIM card from one phone and swap it to the other phone, I can do that as long as I want, and the same will hod if I buy or find another phone, as long as the SIM fits I am good to go.

I wish all the phones had the same sized sim card. I drive vzw nuts when I decide I want to use my Rezound for a week or two. LOL I've requested two sim cards already.

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
mysticalmalissa said:
I wish all the phones had the same sized sim card. I drive vzw nuts when I decide I want to use my Rezound for a week or two. LOL I've requested two sim cards already.

My Rezound had a standard size SIM card "which now sits in my drawer, LOL", I am using the micro SIM card that came with the S3, just got a micro SIM extender "adapter" for it so I can use the Micro SIM with my Rezound, works like a charm.
Here you go, it takes two weeks to arrive, but it arrives as advertised, works great http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003THJQVU/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00

Last edited:

mysticalmalissa

Reaction score
My Rezound had a standard size SIM card "which now sits in my drawer, LOL", I am using the micro SIM card that came with the S3, just got a micro SIM extender "adapter" for it so I can use the Micro SIM with my Rezound, works like a charm.
Here you go, it takes two weeks to arrive, but it arrives as advertised, works great Amazon.com: AFC Trident Micro SIM Card Adapter for Apple iPad and iPhone 4: Cell Phones & Accessories

Thanks for the heads up on this! I just ordered one, for $.60!!! =)

jillybeargirl

Reaction score
I stand corrected... (unless something has changed from the date of the following post until Aug 18, 2012)

"Thankfully, Verizon Wireless has assured PhoneNews.com that you will be able to migrate from 3G smartphone to 4G LTE smartphone, after June 28, and keep your grandfathered unlimited data plan. You will, however, still have to pay full retail pricing for new devices. With today’s iPhones going up to $799 for full retail price, that may mean waiting for second-hand device availability for many."

Verizon’s Shared Data is Unveiled (And, How to Keep Your Unlimited Data Alive) | PhoneNews.com

OP
kyle10

kyle10

Reaction score
I now have the phone everything went well. I'm loving it. The thing is simply amazing!