Thoughts on keeping/getting rid of my unlimited data plan

stanwelks

Reaction score
I have an Incredible with VZW and I'm thinking of switching to ATT to get on a family plan. I have unlimited data with VZW and I will not be able to get that if I switch to ATT (no longer offered). I currently stream internet radio sometimes and do not use much bandwidth.

1. Is there any reason to really hold on to my unlimited data with VZW? Is there anything coming in the distant future that will make this really useful?
2. What will likely happen when 4G becomes the standard? I'm guessing my 3G unlimited plan will not make my 4G unlimited so I will eventually be getting rid of my 3G unlimited data plan anyways?

Thanks for and input.

hydro556

Reaction score
I asked to be sure when I switched (temporarily) to the 4g Bionic from my 3g Incredible. You keep the unlimited assuming you were grandfathered in.

I asked about three different techs.

ETA- To your other question, you must not have been reading the forums, LOL. There are some amazing devices getting ready to drop, including the Prime, which should be a phenomenal device. Also the Vigor and Razr/Spyder. These are what compelled me to go back to my Incredible for awhile. I want to see what comes out in Q4.

Last edited:

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
You'll be missing some great upcoming phones for Verizon, that's for sure..

But, depends on your usage. How much do you normally use? If you never use 2gigs, you should be good. If it's always close.. I'd be a bit iffy. Personally ATT sucks here, and I usually only hear bad things about them even over the internet with people that got good coverage. If I were you, Sprint would be my next choice. But that's assuming their coverage is good. Plus you get to keep unlimited.

REMilk

Reaction score
Important to consider: With Verizon, once you give up unlimited, unlimited is be gone forever (with Verizon)!

I think the more important question is can you afford to have lessor coverage with AT&T than you have with Verizon.

As a management consultant, I travel extensively across our great country. Based on the feedback, I get from colleagues and clients about cell phone coverage, I can tell you that from a coverage perspective, Verizon has the other carriers beat hands down.

Now, it you will be in a location where AT&T coverage is complete and you rarely expect to be outside the coverage area, and you will stay within the data plan, go for it and save the money.

That is one of the things I love about our country, we have choices!