Another question about unlimited data with Verizon

DylanAZ

Reaction score
I'm still trying to wrap my head around how I am able to stay grandfathered in with my unlimited data. I currently have a Droid X2 with unlimited data. I am looking to get the Razr Maxx HD and keep this.. if I were to buy the Razr Maxx HD on Amazon (or where-ever) and just switch phones, would I be able to do so without renewing my contract and keeping unlimited data? Does it matter if I am going from a 3G to a 4G phone?

Thanks for any help or suggestions..

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
It does not matter as there is just a "data plan" not a 3G data plan and 4G data plan.

You will have to pay full retail price from Amazon....not the upgrade or new customer price. Basically you'll need to select the "phone only, no contract" option which will be $649.99. It will come without a SIM card so you'll need to go to Verizon to get one. Just go in, say you want to replace your current phone with this one and need a SIM card. They'll key it all in and you'll walk out, same contract plan just new phone.

View attachment 57280

OP
D

DylanAZ

Reaction score
Okay. So instead of buying from Amazon and waiting for it to be shipped is there any reason I shouldnt just go into a Verizon store and purchase the phone at the full retail price there?

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
Depending on where you live...you could save $30-$50 on tax by buying from Amazon (it saved me a bit when I bought my Droid 4....free shipping, no tax).

I personally didn't want ANY interaction with acquiring a phone from Verizon. I didn't want the cashier to have the opportunity to key something in wrong and drop my unlimited data.

You could also look on swappa.com for a used Droid Razr Maxx and save some more that way....they have a few listed from $270 up to $380.

Swappa Buy Droid Razr Maxx (Verizon) I've bought a few phones through there as well as sold a few....

OP
D

DylanAZ

Reaction score
Gotcha, thanks very much for the help. Looks like that might be the cheapest option..only thing is that I have to wait for the Maxx HD's to get posted on there. I'm with you on the lack of interation with Verizon..I've tried contacting them a few times with this question and I've gotten very different answers each time, I suspect mostly because they are trying to get me out of my unlimited data plan.

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
No problem.....

You know...I read Razr Maxx HD in your post but I kept searching for Razr Maxx for some reason. $699.99 at Amazon (and backordered) and of course nothing on Swappa.com yet.

OP
D

DylanAZ

Reaction score
Ha no worries. Hard to justify paying $700 for a phone..I'm just gonna have to look at what I'm paying now and find out if its going to be cheaper in the long run.

PatrickJ

Reaction score
I just upgraded to the SG3 and kept my unlimited data by using an upgrade from another line on my account. It took talking with four different reps and a lot of headaches but I got it done.

Ed Blown Vert

Reaction score
Website
ls1.com
Current Phone Model
Samsung S22U
I just upgraded to the SG3 and kept my unlimited data by using an upgrade from another line on my account. It took talking with four different reps and a lot of headaches but I got it done.

Thats how I kept my unlimited plan on both my Maxx HD's. I have two smart phones and two basic phones.

If I didn't have another line. She said she could add one under contract, then move the number to the Maxx. :)