Keep my unlimited Data on one line and use upgrade on another? Is it possible

Dalvik_Cache

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I gave my gnex to a friend a few months ago when he broke his, so I called him just now to ask about this. He said, he just popped in his sim and that's it. Been working fine on his account ever since.
Sent From My RMHD

Alright, now that I am on a laptop rather than a phone I will do my best to explain better. First lets make the differentiation between CDMA and LTE. LTE is not CDMA, which is what Verizon is traditionally. LTE is much more like GSM, which is why it uses a SIM card. So, lets talk LTE first. Basically each SIM card has an ICCID (the SIM card number), and the phone has an IMEI (International Mobile Equipment Identifier). The IMEI was adopted due to the fact that there was a limit to the number of unique ESN's that can exist. Now then, your IMEI is hard coded to the device, your ICCID is specific to the SIM. The VZW network, billing system, AAA, etc., all use a combination of the two that get hashed into a unique ID. The billing system itself typically relies heavily on the ICCID and will typically automatically re-hash to a new unique ID when adding a new IMEI. So, on a LTE device you can TYPICALLY simply switch the SIM to another LTE device, and it should work fine. There are several conditions that can cause it to not work automatically, including some older LTE devices, manual account locks, etc. Additionally, there are a lot of systems the new unique ID have to be pushed to, so it doesn't always make it. So, don't be totally surprised if it doesn't work out. Simply call tech support and they can help. Probably the most common cause of a failed switch over is the old device being still powered on. Make sure you turn off the old phone before you power up the new one, with the old SIM. Hope this helps!

Last edited by a moderator:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Speechless is all I can say. :thumbup: (proud) :D If that's her best, I'd love to see her worst! ;)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
Alright, now that I am on a laptop rather than a phone I will do my best to explain better. First lets make the differentiation between CDMA and LTE. LTE is not CDMA, which is what Verizon is traditionally. LTE is much more like GSM, which is why it uses a SIM card. So, lets talk LTE first. Basically each SIM card has an ICCID (the SIM card number), and the phone has an IMEI (International Mobile Equipment Identifier). The IMEI was adopted due to the fact that there was a limit to the number of unique ESN's that can exist. Now then, your IMEI is hard coded to the device, your ICCID is specific to the SIM. The VZW network, billing system, AAA, etc., all use a combination of the two that get hashed into a unique ID. The billing system itself typically relies heavily on the ICCID and will typically automatically re-hash to a new unique ID when adding a new IMEI. So, on a LTE device you can TYPICALLY simply switch the SIM to another LTE device, and it should work fine. There are several conditions that can cause it to not work automatically, including some older LTE devices, manual account locks, etc. Additionally, there are a lot of systems the new unique ID have to be pushed to, so it doesn't always make it. So, don't be totally surprised if it doesn't work out. Simply call tech support and they can help. Probably the most common cause of a failed switch over is the old device being still powered on. Make sure you turn off the old phone before you power up the new one, with the old SIM. Hope this helps!

thanks for the explanation, i wasnt really confused, although i didnt know all that technical information.
the only point i was trying to make is that, some times you can pop in the sim and go. not all applications require you to call verizon or add the phone to your account online.

maybe i just missed something down there that required this scenario to call and add the phone.
if thats the case, i apologize for the confusion.
i was merely trying to make all the possibilities known.

thanks again ;)

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
thanks for the explanation, i wasnt really confused, although i didnt know all that technical information.
the only point i was trying to make is that, some times you can pop in the sim and go. not all applications require you to call verizon or add the phone to your account online.

maybe i just missed something down there that required this scenario to call and add the phone.
if thats the case, i apologize for the confusion.
i was merely trying to make all the possibilities known.

thanks again ;)

Going from SIM using phone to SIM using phone works like you wrote. Going from a non SIM to a SIM or SIM to non SIM, which is what the op wants to do, requires the esn switch phone call described above. I ran into this when I tried switching my Incredible 1 and Rezound around. Had to call to activate the Inc, call back to activate the Rezound again. It's a long story as to why I needed to switch phones for a few hours.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
A Rezound phone was used for this Tapatalk post

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
Going from SIM using phone to SIM using phone works like you wrote. Going from a non SIM to a SIM or SIM to non SIM, which is what the op wants to do, requires the esn switch phone call described above. I ran into this when I tried switching my Incredible 1 and Rezound around. Had to call to activate the Inc, call back to activate the Rezound again. It's a long story as to why I needed to switch phones for a few hours.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><

TheOldFart

Reaction score
You only have to maintain the data package for as long as the smart phone is on the line. What most people do is upgrade the "dumb" phone line, then once its activated do an ESN change to the line with the unlimited data. Then you can drop the data package on the upgraded line. Make sense? :)

No, it doesn't make sense. Why would Verizon give you a $400 2 year contract discount on the phone and then not make you pay the data rate for that 2 years? They would be giving away $400 of profit. Not likely.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Verizon is interested in you renewing your contract on the line.. Once you set up that dumb phone with a new smartphone you've renewed... Now when you switch the phone to unlimited line all you are now doing is getting rid of data.. Which data is an option you can drop when you put that dumb phone back on the line.. It's a definite go.. I've done and so have plenty peeps I know..

N2 Tap'd

Dalvik_Cache

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Quite frankly its a nicety they simply haven't chosen to do away with so far. Like BK said, you are still under a contract for service for 24 months on a line of service, that's ultimately the end-goal.

No, it doesn't make sense. Why would Verizon give you a $400 2 year contract discount on the phone and then not make you pay the data rate for that 2 years? They would be giving away $400 of profit. Not likely.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Because a) they haven't noticed it from being too busy counting their money and thinking of ways to bloat up future devices and insert bugs into updates or b) they have noticed and haven't been able to patch the exploitation without a way to bloat it up and market it as doing the valued customers a huge favor.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
i was thinking about this topic and it dawned on me, if you already have a dumb phone line to do this on, thats great.
but, if you add a line to do it, its really not as great of a winfall as it seems.
lets break it down, dummy line = $9.99, after taxes and fees on my bill that dummy line cost $13 and change.
so over 2 years thats $312, well round it to $315 for all the change.
the last 2 phones i bought out right were $299 upgrade and $600/$650 retail.
so it would depend on the retail of the phone weather you actually save money or not, or weather its worth the hassle for a small gain.
obviously if the phone cost more it would be a lot more beneficial.

just thought i would throw that out there for those considering adding a line to try and save money on a phone. :)

Dalvik_Cache

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
i was thinking about this topic and it dawned on me, if you already have a dumb phone line to do this on, thats great.
but, if you add a line to do it, its really not as great of a winfall as it seems.
lets break it down, dummy line = $9.99, after taxes and fees on my bill that dummy line cost $13 and change.
so over 2 years thats $312, well round it to $315 for all the change.
the last 2 phones i bought out right were $299 upgrade and $600/$650 retail.
so it would depend on the retail of the phone weather you actually save money or not, or weather its worth the hassle for a small gain.
obviously if the phone cost more it would be a lot more beneficial.

just thought i would throw that out there for those considering adding a line to try and save money on a phone. :)

Yep, I get unlimited data anyhow, but if I didn't I would just use Wifi more. Its not really that big of a deal to me. It def. wouldnt be cost effective to maintain a second line to keep my unlimited data. I would personally just take advantage of the deals Im offered at the time of upgrade.

MegatronJE

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Driod Tubo
What about getting a unlimited. Plan back after being in a contract for one year I have 1 basic phone and 2 smart phones. We share. 6 gigabytes?

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
What about getting a unlimited. Plan back after being in a contract for one year I have 1 basic phone and 2 smart phones. We share. 6 gigabytes?

once you upgrade your plan to the tiered one, you can not get unlimited back.

OP
T

thrgk

Reaction score
I would double check.. I could be wrong I believe Amazon makes you keep it on line for 181 days.. Maybe I'm mistaken with another one.. I'm on the go now so further research is needed for sure..

Noted 2x~4 beta

is this true? If I upgrade my dumb line to the note 3 and then activate it, then after activation switch the note 3 to my unlimited line and dump the data plan on the dumb line, will amazon make me pay or no?

tjrssibelle

Reaction score
If they review your account and notice that the phone it's not on the line you bought it from, yes they will make you pay their ETF

Sent from my VERIZON LG G2