Am I too late to keep unlimited data?

leland_7

Reaction score
I have an OG Droid on unlimited 3G data. I was holding out for the Razr Maxx HD Vanquish Fighter Droid. (although it may never come)

I've been busy and just ran across some info regarding Verizon upgrades taking away unlimited plans and forcing the customer to tiered? Is this true and am I too late?

Beka27

Reaction score
Yes and no. You are too late to upgrade with subsidized pricing and maintain your current plan. You are, however, able to buy a new phone full retail and activate it on your line without changing you plan.

Some people who are waiting for the Razr HD chose to burn up their last subsidized upgrade on the S3 and sell it new in box, pocketing that money for the Razr HD at a later date. You are too late to do that as the new plans went into effect on June 28th.

zomnomnombie

Reaction score
You can still keep unlimited data as long as you buy phones at full price (or never upgrade). But you will be saving money every month instead of you moving to the new data plans.

Example:

In my case I'd be saving $30 a month.

Subsidized phone upgrades are every two years, sometimes a little less.

Over 2 years I save $720.

For new phones they knock off about $300-$400 off the price of a $599 phone down to a subsidized price of $199-$299.

Buying full price leaves me with $121 more in my pocket.

TWC42

Reaction score
Depends on your individual situation if it is better to keep unlimited or go with Share Everything. Normally,the plan I'm on, two smartphones, 1400 minutes, u/l text, u/l data would cost $200/mo w/ taxes and fees. I get $20 off each unlimited plan, bringing total to $160.
I don't use enough data to justify holding on to unlimited at any cost. We have never gone over 1GB total any month in the year and a half that we had smartphones. So Share Everything, two smartphones cost $80, 2 GB cost $60, taxes/fees $20 = $160.
Given that we like to get a new phone as soon as eligible for a subsidized upgrade, every 20 months, the total subsidy on two top of the line phones is $900 every 20 months, or effectively $45 every month. That's too big a discount to forfeit in order to hold on to something we really don't need.
If you use a lot of data, it may be worth paying full price for a new phone to keep your unlimited plan. You are paying extra ( from my perspective) in the loss of your subsidy.

OP
leland_7

leland_7

Reaction score
Thank you all for taking the time to share. I really appreciate your input. Tiered data may very well work to the benefit of many people but I just like the unlimited option. (although i've read some about throttling)

Stinks I missed out on the S3/resale option. That would have been a nice. I started a business and haven't had much time to stay plugged in.

I suppose my next question would be... Is there a certain forum here or elsewhere that would keep me updated on major Verizon changes such as this? Like a quick news feed? Hopefully I can avoid this going forward.

Caesars

Reaction score

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2