keeping unlimited data

kyle10

Reaction score
Ok so I have the unlimited plan with my Droid incredible. I wanna keep unlimited so I was gonna pay full price for a phone on eBay. If I do that and activate it will still be unlimited correct? If the phone is a 4g phone will I be able to use the 4g and be unlimited still? And if it doesent have a sim card will Verizon send one if requested?

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
Yes, you are correct in your thinking.

OP
kyle10

kyle10

Reaction score
What if I'm transferring from a 3g phone to a 4g? Will I still be unlimited?

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
What if I'm transferring from a 3g phone to a 4g? Will I still be unlimited?

I don't see why not. When they moved over to the tiered data plans grandfathered 3G data plans moved over to the 4G ones. Then again, there really is no difference in unlimited 3G data and unlimited 4G data. It's just all data.

OP
kyle10

kyle10

Reaction score
Yeah true. I'm trying to be sure because I don't wanna drop 500 dallars on a phone and end up having to go back and sell it for Verizon's crazy plans

mventura57

Reaction score
If you go from 3g to 4g, you will lose unlimited. It will force you to choose a tiered plan upon activation.

OP
kyle10

kyle10

Reaction score
Could I turn 4g off the phone and keep unlimited 3g?

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
If you go from 3g to 4g, you will lose unlimited. It will force you to choose a tiered plan upon activation.
Not true, unless you just get a weasel for a salesman who snake oils you into thinking that you have to go that route. The policy as of now is to still allow all grandfathered unlimited users to keep it regardless.

OP
kyle10

kyle10

Reaction score
Ok so I get the phone and if they change my plan among activation, I call and start a riot to get unlimited back? Right? Lol

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
Pretty much. Just escalate as necessary. Discuss that you haven't signed a new contract and they have to notify you if they're changing a feature. Really though just be clear when you activate the phone that your understanding is nothing should be changed by the activation and make them clearly state that is how it will be.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
What Mission said. You're not signing a new contract saying you've upgraded so you should be grandfathered into an unlimited 4g plan.

As for turning off 4g with an LTE phone you can certainly use 3g, but you will still be considered on a LTE plan.

jillybeargirl

Reaction score
Pretty much. Just escalate as necessary. Discuss that you haven't signed a new contract and they have to notify you if they're changing a feature. Really though just be clear when you activate the phone that your understanding is nothing should be changed by the activation and make them clearly state that is how it will be.

But Verizon doesn't have to allow you to use the new device... I've never actually read the contracts but I would think they have their bases covered & wouldn't have to adhere to a contract on a new 4G device. You would be CHANGING your service from 3G to 4G. I would suspect that your 3G contract terms don't apply to new 4G service. Even though my husband had unlimited data on a shared plan, when I upgraded last fall from a regular cell phone to a smartphone I was unable to get unlimited data.

We were going to upgrade my husbands old 3G Droid Incredible to the 4G Droid Incredible & got the "bad" news about how they are doing away with the unlimited plans. I even told the rep (in a Verizon owned store) that we would go online & buy a device outright and have it activated on the line & he said it wouldn't work, it would force you to choose a share everything plan.

He tried to explain that all carriers are eventually gonna do away with unlimited data b/c so many devices are coming online. (He even brought-up appliances... Of course why would I put my refrigerator as one of the 10 devices on a share everything plan when I could just have it on my wireless account at home?). For the most part we have been very happy with Verizon over the years. I looked into Virgin Mobile & it just wouldn't work for us. We do a lot of traveling across the US & when I looked at coverage for even phone calls it looked like there would be hundreds of miles where we would have NO service what-so-ever. That doesn't work for us. Verizon has the best coverage nationwide that I have found. There have been numerous times at trade shows where our colleagues that had other carriers haven't had service & we did.

We are going to try to figure out exactly how much data we use during our peak travel times on our 3 devices (2 smartphones & an OLD USB broadband device). We know the day is coming when he will have to upgrade to a 4G phone & his unlimited data plan is gonna disappear. With talk about no longer having subsidized phones on top of no more unlimited data we might want to bite the bullet sooner rather than later & change our plan to one of the share everything plans after we have a better sense of our usage.

Laur3nNewm4n

Reaction score
To be fair, if your 3G phone's contract is up, they can do whatever they want. Once you're out of your two-year agreement, you can leave whenever you want with no ETF, but they can also change features without breaking your contract, because you're not actually in a contract anymore.

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yes, they can change features but they still have to let you know beforehand. As to the 3G to 4G loss of unlimited, again any rep who's telling you it can't be done either is unaware of the truth or is trying to make commission off of you when you sign to a new data plan. Multiple people have posted about either adding 4G devices without issue or simply calling customer service and getting their unlimited returned to their account. Can they in theory do whatever they want? Yes, but that is not the policy as of now.