I've had enough...

Necrobater

Reaction score
Hello Guys. I bought the maxx almost a week ago. As soon as I got it, I rooted it, used TiBackup to remove all the bloatware and crap on the phone. I loved the phone!!. I am one of those qwerty lovers, so this was a difficult, but almost necessary transition, as not many cutting edge qwerty phones are coming out on Verizon. So I got this badboy all souped up but something nagged me from the very get go. The yellow hue on the screen. I've read oodles about super amoled display downfalls such as their color accuracy. Also oodles of articles on other technologies and they problems. I am not here to start ANOTHER screen debate but I have to tell you this.. Irregardless of what people's eyes perceive and /or what people prefer, the bottom line is white should be white. It is no where near white. So I got ScreenAdjuster (as well as a few others) and thought I could beat this thing, cause the phone kicks butt, and screen adjuster seemed to work pretty well. Now aside from not continuing to compare the phone's color accuracy to my gf's droidx I think I could love this thing but there is one problem. Originally the yellow hue is noticeable dead on, but when viewed from an angle it looks beautifully white. So when I added blue to neutralize the yellow hue dead on, the angled view looks blue. This serves only the purpose of reminding me constantly that my phone display sucks. Yes I look at it from an angle probably 1/3 of the time, from when in bed to when its sitting on the table and I wanna check the time. I have heard some people not having this yellow hue at all but I bet its just there eyes. I have seen this complaint rampant on the internet. Once again I am not trying to start an arguement, so please don't I am just saying that I really don't like the display.

So here is what I'm doing... I'm returning this thing but what do I choose? I am mildly comfortable with going without a qwerty phone. The rezound looks decent, but have heard the battery sucks, and while there is an extended batt, it makes the new back of the phone rather curvy and I heard its a pita when u use it on a flat surface cause it rocks around. I do this alot and it would tick me off. Other than that I havent really looked into the rezound. Here is what I'm looking for guys...

Originally I wanted the best specs phone (4g, best cpu, ram, display, etc) so that when my new 2 year contract is up I dont have to buy a new phone for a while. Now I have come to terms with my unreasonable expectations from current verizon offerings and have narrowed my requirements.

Here is what I'm looking for now...

Dispaly must have good color accuracy. I understand lcd and super lcd have good color accuracy but their contrast isnt as good as super amoled display. I can accept this. I live with an insignia TV that has awesome color but blacks arent quite black, but that is fine by me. Color accuracy is far more important to me. As far as outside viewing, unless its got electronic ink (ebook reader style) I understand that no current displays are very good in direct sunlight. Thats why I have 2 hands, one for phone, one for shade, haha.

CPU and RAM. I would like a dual core if possible as it is the current trend (soon to be quad core jeez!) Would like at least 512megs of ram, more is better here of course.

Storage: onboard flash isnt very big for me. Anything over 2 gigs is fine by me, but it really needs to have an sd slot (unless its got like 32gigs of internal memory).

Should be 4g. I may consider 3g if the phone is on par with everything else. 4g is ok, but noticed on the razr when it switches to 3g it kills my data and pisses off programs for a minute. Also 4g does no good if you dont have many bars anyways.

I would like to tether. I currently use foxfi which works good.

It would be nice if the phone is expected to get ICS but it is not required.

Battery life needs to be decent. If its questionable, would like good aftermarket extended battery alternatives.

Should be an android phone. Iphone well maybe when the 5 comes out but I still don''t like apples head up butt attitude and their grip on your property. Windows phone, while I do admire microsoft's efforts, they just dont have the market or the proven track record of android. sure its fragmented, but you can find about any android phone has a good support community.

Video taking has to be at least 720p. The better the video recording (no blur when moving and pixelation) the better. I do intend to take videos with the phone of family events and don't want a grainy mess on a dvd seems pointless =p

I currently have an LG ally rooted and using Velocity rom o/c to 844mhz. It sucks, noflash, small screen (has good contrast and color accuracy tho!). no ram to speak of, and no internal memory (like 128 or 256mb, forget which).

Phones I'm looking at or have considered currently but have reservations...

Rezound -heard the display is pretty good but battery issues as mentioned above worry me.

Lg's offering, lucid and spectrum. Heard stories about their software being buggy.

Droid 4. Heard the battery life isnt too good and the pentile display has noticeable ghosting. this doesnt bother me too much, have looked at it in store its tolerable, about the same as the razr but better color accuracy for some reason? Also possibility of extended battery seems unlikely due to the unremovable battery. I am quite handy with a soldering iron (electrical engineer here), but I doubt anyone has aftermarket kits...

Bionic. Seems like a decent phone, but its been around for a while so it seems it should be rather outdated, tell me I'm wrong?

Samsung stratosphere. Display seemed ok. The razr really has me tuned to focus on the color accuracy next time I visit the store because I know I want my whites to be white. The lack of dual core and only 1ghz worries me about it being obsolete alot sooner then the others.

Galaxy nexus. Well its got that super amoled display. I will check it out when I go in. But the lack of an sd card sucks, it does have 32gig internal tho. I've heard the galaxy nesux IIS has a super amoled plus display which I guess has better color accuracy.

I dont claim to be an expert on any of this and I am probably wrong with some specs or what have you. Feel free to correct me. I am just so trying to avoid another $35 restocking fee =(. I also can't wait much longer for phones to come out because you all have heard about the total elimination of unlimited data which I currently have and would like to get in contract so I might be good for 2 years...

Last edited:

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
I noticed the color issues right away as well, but I'm just dealing with it because I loooooooove the battery life.

The Rezound has overheating issues to go along with the not-so-good battery life from what I have seen.
The Droid 4 has a qHD screen just like the Bionic, and you would get the QWERTY keyboard that you prefer.
Nexus only has a 5mp camera. Because it's a Samsung, you will have a great screen, but battery life isn't great, and reception is a problem from what I have heard from the people I have sold them to. The same goes with the Stratosphere. I've also heard complaints about picture messages not sending correctly on Samsung devices.

If I had to pick one from your list, it would be the Bionic. It has a good feel to it, and you can get an external battery. It's nowhere near the 'pop' of the Razr screen, but it's still decent in itself. But I am also a big Motorola lover because of the reception (plus where I work, all Motorola's come with free Motorola accessories).

*edited to remove my error* ;)

Last edited:

droid2drummer

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hello Guys. I bought the maxx almost a week ago. As soon as I got it, I rooted it, used TiBackup to remove all the bloatware and crap on the phone. I loved the phone!!. I am one of those qwerty lovers, so this was a difficult, but almost necessary transition, as not many cutting edge qwerty phones are coming out on Verizon. So I got this badboy all souped up but something nagged me from the very get go. The yellow hue on the screen. I've read oodles about super amoled display downfalls such as their color accuracy. Also oodles of articles on other technologies and they problems. I am not here to start ANOTHER screen debate but I have to tell you this.. Irregardless of what people's eyes perceive and /or what people prefer, the bottom line is white should be white. It is no where near white. So I got ScreenAdjuster (as well as a few others) and thought I could beat this thing, cause the phone kicks butt, and screen adjuster seemed to work pretty well. Now aside from not continuing to compare the phone's color accuracy to my gf's droidx I think I could love this thing but there is one problem. Originally the yellow hue is noticeable dead on, but when viewed from an angle it looks beautifully white. So when I added blue to neutralize the yellow hue dead on, the angled view looks blue. This serves only the purpose of reminding me constantly that my phone display sucks. Yes I look at it from an angle probably 1/3 of the time, from when in bed to when its sitting on the table and I wanna check the time. I have heard some people not having this yellow hue at all but I bet its just there eyes. I have seen this complaint rampant on the internet. Once again I am not trying to start an arguement, so please don't I am just saying that I really don't like the display.

So here is what I'm doing... I'm returning this thing but what do I choose? I am mildly comfortable with going without a qwerty phone. The rezound looks decent, but have heard the battery sucks, and while there is an extended batt, it makes the new back of the phone rather curvy and I heard its a pita when u use it on a flat surface cause it rocks around. I do this alot and it would tick me off. Other than that I havent really looked into the rezound. Here is what I'm looking for guys...

Originally I wanted the best specs phone (4g, best cpu, ram, display, etc) so that when my new 2 year contract is up I dont have to buy a new phone for a while. Now I have come to terms with my unreasonable expectations from current verizon offerings and have narrowed my requirements.

Here is what I'm looking for now...

Dispaly must have good color accuracy. I understand lcd and super lcd have good color accuracy but their contrast isnt as good as super amoled display. I can accept this. I live with an insignia TV that has awesome color but blacks arent quite black, but that is fine by me. Color accuracy is far more important to me. As far as outside viewing, unless its got electronic ink (ebook reader style) I understand that no current displays are very good in direct sunlight. Thats why I have 2 hands, one for phone, one for shade, haha.

CPU and RAM. I would like a dual core if possible as it is the current trend (soon to be quad core jeez!) Would like at least 512megs of ram, more is better here of course.

Storage: onboard flash isnt very big for me. Anything over 2 gigs is fine by me, but it really needs to have an sd slot (unless its got like 32gigs of internal memory).

Should be 4g. I may consider 3g if the phone is on par with everything else. 4g is ok, but noticed on the razr when it switches to 3g it kills my data and pisses off programs for a minute. Also 4g does no good if you dont have many bars anyways.

I would like to tether. I currently use foxfi which works good.

It would be nice if the phone is expected to get ICS but it is not required.

Battery life needs to be decent. If its questionable, would like good aftermarket extended battery alternatives.

Should be an android phone. Iphone well maybe when the 5 comes out but I still don''t like apples head up butt attitude and their grip on your property. Windows phone, while I do admire microsoft's efforts, they just dont have the market or the proven track record of android. sure its fragmented, but you can find about any android phone has a good support community.

Video taking has to be at least 720p. The better the video recording (no blur when moving and pixelation) the better. I do intend to take videos with the phone of family events and don't want a grainy mess on a dvd seems pointless =p

I currently have an LG ally rooted and using Velocity rom o/c to 844mhz. It sucks, noflash, small screen (has good contrast and color accuracy tho!). no ram to speak of, and no internal memory (like 128 or 256mb, forget which).

Phones I'm looking at or have considered currently but have reservations...

Rezound -heard the display is pretty good but battery issues as mentioned above worry me.

Lg's offering, lucid and spectrum. Heard stories about their software being buggy.

Droid 4. Heard the battery life isnt too good and the pentile display has noticeable ghosting. this doesnt bother me too much, have looked at it in store its tolerable, about the same as the razr but better color accuracy for some reason? Also possibility of extended battery seems unlikely due to the unremovable battery. I am quite handy with a soldering iron (electrical engineer here), but I doubt anyone has aftermarket kits...

Bionic. Seems like a decent phone, but its been around for a while so it seems it should be rather outdated, tell me I'm wrong?

Samsung stratosphere. Display seemed ok. The razr really has me tuned to focus on the color accuracy next time I visit the store because I know I want my whites to be white. The lack of dual core and only 1ghz worries me about it being obsolete alot sooner then the others.

Galaxy nexus. Well its got that super amoled display. I will check it out when I go in. But the lack of an sd card sucks, it does have 32gig internal tho. I've heard the galaxy nesux IIS has a super amoled plus display which I guess has better color accuracy.

I dont claim to be an expert on any of this and I am probably wrong with some specs or what have you. Feel free to correct me. I am just so trying to avoid another $35 restocking fee =(. I also can't wait much longer for phones to come out because you all have heard about the total elimination of unlimited data which I currently have and would like to get in contract so I might be good for 2 years...

Dude.. I have been down this rd.. I returned my first one because of this. My second was much, much better.Whites are white and no more green tint or splotches also awesome unblown receiver speaker..bring it back..1 out of three is good...

Simply Amazing ...
Essentially Stunning,
Motorola Droid Razr---->Minimum<-----:)
Tapped via Red Xparent Pro>:-!

seeingdouble

Reaction score
My wife has a RAZR and i have a Rezound. I would take my Rezound any day over the RAZR. The only drawback I have noticed thus far is that the RZD doesn't do well in direct sunlight, which can be a pain. Otherwise, the display is fantastic. As my wife said, "it looks like real life quality" as opposed to a typical display.

I have installed the newest ICS release on the RZD and it is fantastic and going back to the RZR makes me feel bad for my wife having to use Honeycomb.

Battery life is good to last from 6:30 through the day depending on use. Normal use, ie: facebook/email/web lasts til the evening without charging. Heavy use, with normal plus streaming radio and watching video, still lasts until i get home in the evening, around 5 pm. I usually throw it on the charger for 20-30 minutes and it's back up to 50% for the remainder of the evening.

Camera on the RZD is one of the best I have used for a phone. I think the RZR may do a bit better with video recording, but the RZD has no delay between shots.

While the RZD is thicker than the RZR, i prefer the size of the RZD to the larger RZR. It fits in my hand better and is easier/more comfortable to use with one hand.

Just my opinion, but i think the RZD is the best phone available for Verizon with the RZR a close second.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
My son got the rezound when I got my maxx. He has no complaints at all except I can see my maxx in the sun where he can't. On my Razr, I do not have a yellow hue to my whites, no matter how bright or dim my screen is. My son got the extended battery for his rezound. Side by side, our phones are competitive ... both have excellent phone reception and signal strength. The one thing I do like about his rezound is he has both a toggle menu and a recent apps menu in his drop down status bar where the razr does not (maybe ICS will). I think I also like sense more than blur but I would still use go launcher either way anyway.

Hope this helps in your decision.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Sounds like the Droid 4 is going to be the way to go for you if you are wanting this now. If you are not in a hurry you could return the Razr and wait for the Razr HD or (Fighter) whatever they are going to call it. Basically a Razr Maxx with the better screen, course there is no telling when that phone will actually drop.

droid2drummer

Silver Member
Reaction score
My wife has a RAZR and i have a Rezound. I would take my Rezound any day over the RAZR. The only drawback I have noticed thus far is that the RZD doesn't do well in direct sunlight, which can be a pain. Otherwise, the display is fantastic. As my wife said, "it looks like real life quality" as opposed to a typical display.

I have installed the newest ICS release on the RZD and it is fantastic and going back to the RZR makes me feel bad for my wife having to use Honeycomb.

Battery life is good to last from 6:30 through the day depending on use. Normal use, ie: facebook/email/web lasts til the evening without charging. Heavy use, with normal plus streaming radio and watching video, still lasts until i get home in the evening, around 5 pm. I usually throw it on the charger for 20-30 minutes and it's back up to 50% for the remainder of the evening.

Camera on the RZD is one of the best I have used for a phone. I think the RZR may do a bit better with video recording, but the RZD has no delay between shots.

While the RZD is thicker than the RZR, i prefer the size of the RZD to the larger RZR. It fits in my hand better and is easier/more comfortable to use with one hand.

Just my opinion, but i think the RZD is the best phone available for Verizon with the RZR a close second.

Neither had Honeycomb. That was for tablets..You mean gingerbread...lol I know.. simple mistake..lol I understand where your coming from. I wish I could just build my own device using each good thing I like from each device..lol Retinal would be on my RAZR body. With S4...Then Gnex unlock able bootloader software... lil this and lil that..lol Maybe one day we will be able to order our devices like PC..??? Lol that would rock!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Klaista2k

Reaction score
From reading what your're looking for you've got 2 options.

1) Rezound (the battery does suck though)
2) Iphone- even though you said you didn't want an Iphone the screen is pretty awesome.

Unless you just keep the Maxx those are the only options I think you have.

electricman58

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
"ROOTED" Droid Turbo
Check out the BIONIC, same type of screen, but it looks white to me! LOL

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Droid Forums

Caesars

Reaction score
Just a quick question since this seems like a perfect thread to ask. I was close to buying the droid 4 when I was looking into the maxx and nexus, however the screen on the droid 4 they had on display looked like utter crap. I loovvvvee the keyboard phones but couldn't get over that screen (it emended me of my x2 which I'm not convinced wasn't a defective screen lol). Anyway is the d4 the sme screen as the maxx? If it is I'm afraid my eyes are playing tricks on me lol.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Just a quick question since this seems like a perfect thread to ask. I was close to buying the droid 4 when I was looking into the maxx and nexus, however the screen on the droid 4 they had on display looked like utter crap. I loovvvvee the keyboard phones but couldn't get over that screen (it emended me of my x2 which I'm not convinced wasn't a defective screen lol). Anyway is the d4 the sme screen as the maxx? If it is I'm afraid my eyes are playing tricks on me lol.

Droid RAZR/RAZR MAXX are 4.3" qHD SAMOLED (Organic Light Emitting Diode). Droid 4 is 4" qHD LED (Light Emitting Diode), definitely NOT the same.

See THIS COMPARISON...

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Its already been said here, the razr/maxx screens do vary. I have two maxx's. The older maxx bought on release day, has a slight tint, but more bluish in color and not yellow. The second maxx has no bluish tint, nor a yellowish tint. I keep my displays down to minimum brightness too. So luck of the draw comes into effect here.

Return it for another, compare the screens there at the store, find one you like. I think that's probably your best bet.

As far as other devices, I also run a Bionic, love it... it has good solid connections to the network, but my maxx's do too.

DROID RAZR MAXXAMIZED!!!

OP
N

Necrobater

Reaction score
Ok guys, here's an update. I spent 3.5 hours at the corporate store today. I left with the phone I went in with. After going round and round and round I settled on the lucid. I know its not the speed demon their flagship phones are but I loved the size. I only wish it had hdmi. One more thing. I have had wrist tendonitis leading to neuropathy from my job and well the vibrator (for lack of a better word) has a high rpm with less weight and it feels like pins and needles to me and drove me nuts. The spectrum was the same way, but all the others from htc, motorola have more of a thump for feedback that doesn;t bother me at all. So I turned the haptic feedback off and went to get the phone. The display is freaken spectacular. They asked if I was sure this is the one I wanted (cause I was returning the maxx even though 3 of the reps i showed the phone to agreed it had a yellow tint). I told them I think so and they said I better be sure because I could only return one device. I'm thinking they are now charging a restocking fee and I can't return more than one device. So the theory about the maxx's displays varying doesnt matter to me if I can only get one more shot. So I got pissed and just left. I bought the maxx on the 18th so I have more than a week til I have to return it or get stuck with it.

I looked at the bionic. It seems decent, but was the first 4g phone so I wonder about battery life and if 4g works good on it. It also doesn;t have expandable memory which isn't good cause my MP3's would take up half of the 16gigs. BUT WAIT verizon;s site said it has an SD card, but the sales person told me it doesn't and he even cracked the battery cover to check and we didn;t see a spot for it, so I am confused? That is why I passed on that one, but now I might have to revisit it.

The Droid 4 should be recalled!!! It's pentile display looks like butt!! ghosting is rampant!! OMFG really? Are the developers of that phone blind seriously? Other than that and the battery life, the phone is exactly what I want but until someone develops an aftermarket display swap, I have no interest...

Iphone is NOT an option because You can't installed 3rd party apps without jailbreaking it. The 3.5" display looks awsome but simply not big enough for me, I might as well stick with my ally, heh...

so my plan is to wait for the htc incredible 4g. I hear its coming out on the 31st. God I hope so... It looks like an awesome phone. so we will see.

The only good thing good about this whole thing is I make appointments before I go in with the original girl I started dealing with cause she is real nice. Once in a while if i have a quick question i deal with others, but any change of account or money shes my goto girl. And she is freaken hott! so thats the only good thing that came of today, haha!

So I guess its the waiting game, I'm thinking I'm going to just return the maxx and cancel the contract and make sure I get back on unlimited (my friend did the same thing a month ago). I talked with 3 different reps on their chat site and they all said going back to unlimited won't be an issue. So if they feed me crap at the store I won't leave until I am put back on it.

I am seriously considering switching when my next contract is up. I wonder if sprint will still have unlimited then, hahah!! probably not.

electricman58

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
"ROOTED" Droid Turbo
OMG, The. EXT 16gb sd card sits right above the sim card just right of the camera lens and you can change it to a 32gb card!!! The 4g screams, all the bugs have already been fixed with updates, and its getting ICS in 3Q 2012. The BIONIC is ROCK SOLID! I scope out all the new phones as they come out and I still would not trade it for "anything" else on the market! IMO there is nothing that has impressed me more than the Bionic!
I just dont know what else to say? It has everything, and not one bad thing about it. OK ... got that off my chest ;-) goodluck
Battery life is great and ext batt available
Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Droid Forums

Last edited: