Google Maps Navigation icon question

RedBaronCFI

Reaction score
Love my Droid X. But I have a question:

When using the Google Maps Navigation (best navigation app available, and I'm a pilot, so I demand accuracy), down in the lower left hand corner of the screen, to the left of where the time remaining is displayed, is a little round icon. It changes color. Sometimes it's green, other times gray, then red, etc.... I can make no sense of why it displays the current color. I asked a tech at the Verizon store, and he said it indicated traffic conditions. But that makes no sense. I've been caught in massive traffic jams, and it displays green. And at 3am with not a car in sight, it has displayed red. Completely confusing!

Anyone know what that icon really is for?

Thanks.

Baron

jazzmang

Reaction score
Love my Droid X. But I have a question:

When using the Google Maps Navigation (best navigation app available, and I'm a pilot, so I demand accuracy), down in the lower left hand corner of the screen, to the left of where the time remaining is displayed, is a little round icon. It changes color. Sometimes it's green, other times gray, then red, etc.... I can make no sense of why it displays the current color. I asked a tech at the Verizon store, and he said it indicated traffic conditions. But that makes no sense. I've been caught in massive traffic jams, and it displays green. And at 3am with not a car in sight, it has displayed red. Completely confusing!

Anyone know what that icon really is for?

Thanks.

Baron

Hey!

It actually is for traffic indication *of the current navigational instruction of your trip only*.

You may see green when in traffic, etc..., but that's because your city's traffic stats are delayed and aren't truly 'live'.

You can actually tap that button to see the traffic overlay and to choose a redirection.

OP
R

RedBaronCFI

Reaction score
OK, thanks. If that's what it's supposed to do, then (in my experience) it's pretty useless. But, at least I now know what it's supposed to indicate....

Baron