Is there Droid software that can run Iphone apps

Timbo5115

Reaction score
Forgive me if I just missed this question being asked. I have a professional app that was only written for Iphone and PalmOS. I really want to get a Droid, but I paid $250 bucks for this app so I can't just give it up.

Is there any kind of emulation software or something that would allow the droid to run a Iphone or Palm OS app?

Thank you!

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
No but I have to ask: Why would you pay that kind of money for an app and did you know it was for iPhone before you bought it?

OP
T

Timbo5115

Reaction score
It's a professional Chinese translation/Handwriting application. I actually got it on Palm OS for my Centro. But I know that isn't likely. The company wrote a version for Iphone, but doesn't plan to write one for the Droid for quite a while. I figured since the Droid is being touted as the main competition and better than the Iphone, what better way to be better then to be able to say you can run their apps plaus your own.

Thanks!

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
It's a professional Chinese translation/Handwriting application. I actually got it on Palm OS for my Centro. But I know that isn't likely. The company wrote a version for Iphone, but doesn't plan to write one for the Droid for quite a while. I figured since the Droid is being touted as the main competition and better than the Iphone, what better way to be better then to be able to say you can run their apps plaus your own.

Thanks!

You're asking an awful lot out of a device that's nowhere near as powerful as your average netbook. If such software actually existed, it would likely be so full of bugs, exceptions, and performance problems that it wouldn't be worth the effort.

It's true that an ambitious programmer has managed to insert the android o/s into an iPhone, mainly as a stunt, but it's very doubtful that the converse could be done, especially given the closed architecture of the Apple o/s.

In short, it ain't gonna happen. Considering that you're invested so much in a particular application, however, I would think the most economical alternative for you would be to purchase an iTouch and run the application on that device.

nagmier

Reaction score
Good idea an itouch would be relatively cheap compared to having someone code a new app

OP
T

Timbo5115

Reaction score
The Centro I have my app on is a Cell phone with Palm OS already. I wouldn't need to buy a new device since I already have it. I'm just upgrading my phone and would prefer to not have to carry two things around with me all the time. Thanks for the thoughts though. I hear the Palm Pre Plus actually has a app that allows you to run a Palm OS clone with all the legacy apps, and as that does pretty much the same thing and is 30 bucks instead of 200, I might just go with that.

Thanks again!

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
You might want to hold onto the Centro for a couple of months, and see if the iPhone does indeed come to Verizon. If it does, your problem is solved (aside from not being able to get a Droid) - at least you'd be able to get the iPhone version.

If not, just get the Droid; and hold onto the Centro for translation duties (I assume it wouldn't have to be active for this to work)

Unless some absolute genius figures out how to get the iPhone OS bootloader to work on a non-Apple device; and the whole OS is running on the Droid; it simply wouldn't be possible.

Riddick

Reaction score
You're asking an awful lot out of a device that's nowhere near as powerful as your average netbook. If such software actually existed, it would likely be so full of bugs, exceptions, and performance problems that it wouldn't be worth the effort.

Did you misunderstand his question or something?

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score

Apologies if I did. He asked if there were "emulation" software that would allow an iPhone app to run on a droid. My point was that running such software on top of the Android o/s is hardly realistic even if such an app could be coded.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score

Not that I can tell. How did you intepret the OP's question? jsh1120's answer seemed reasonable to me. Emulation software always comes with a performance hit. You can't get something (i.e. emulation) for nothing (i.e. no performance penalty).

I'd push the developer to port and encourage anyone else that might be interested in the app on Android to contact the developer. The more demand they see, the more likely they are to give in.

Last edited:

FDFTW!!

Reaction score
I know you can run Android OS on a jailbroken iPhone, but not sure about the other way around. You can find an inexpensive 2G Touch somewhere and run your app on that, couldn't you?