Is the Official OTA Froyo FRG01B?

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
For Azilla, and others who are reverting to stock 2.1, but not able to get the 2.1 OTA update, and stuck on 2.0.1, here is the zip file for the 2.1 OTA update:

http://db.tt/fEpyOa

To install, rename the file to update.zip, put it on the root of your sd card, turn your phone on while holding down 'x', then once you see the exclamation mark, hold down the ' volume up' button and hit the camera button. This should get you into the stock recovery. Then you can select apply update.zip from sd card (might be worded slightly different), and you're good to go. This is the exact same as getting the 2.1 OTA.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

dmartins

Reaction score
For Azilla, and others who are reverting to stock 2.1, but not able to get the 2.1 OTA update, and stuck on 2.0.1, here is the zip file for the 2.1 OTA update:

http://db.tt/fEpyOa

To install, rename the file to update.zip, put it on the root of your sd card, turn your phone on while holding down 'x', then once you see the exclamation mark, hold down the ' volume up' button and hit the camera button. This should get you into the stock recovery. Then you can select apply update.zip from sd card (might be worded slightly different), and you're good to go. This is the exact same as getting the 2.1 OTA.

Why not give the direct link that your phone uses to get it?
https://android.clients.google.com/updates/voles/signed-voles-ESE81-from-ESD56.fa406da6.zip

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Because I didn't know or have that link. :)

Thanks!

MotoCache1

Chief Droid Scientist
Reaction score
Very nice. Thanks for the link. You said that's the link "your phone uses to get it" -- I'm curious how the link was originally discovered? I Googled the URL itself and it was widely published way back when, but the best I could come up with for the source was a suggestion that it was actually published by Verizon/Motorola at the time it was released.

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
Google designed it to be a free feature, perhaps, but the carrier has final say. Verizon said "pay me!" and (and I know some people are going to disagree) cut it from the Droid 1 because it would encourage sales of new phones.

However, the Palm Pre offered free WiFi hotspot feature as a selling point. Interesting, no?

I know it makes me angry. My wife has the Palm Pixi and her phone has the wifi hotspot. I told her about it and she's like whats that. I tried it out when we went on the road a few weeks back. It doesn't do too bad. But i still like my Droid alot better. As soon as I get the Froyo update im rooting to get the wifi hot spot and tethering.

Exactly what I'm doing..

streetkid

Reaction score
Well when all 3 of my current home screens are full and I don't feel like rooting it excites me to see were getting 2 more. Bluetooth voice dial doesn't matter to me cause I rarely use my Bluetooth headset

Ah, my friend, if you haven't given any of the Home alternatives a shot you have been missing out in a big way...go install LauncherPro from the App Store right now, and you'll feel like you got your update a couple of days early. Best thing since sliced bread, you have to give it a try--up to seven screens, great features, and stable as can be. You don't have to be rooted, AND it will keep working through the upgrade so you won't be wasting your time.

True story! I was excited to use 7 screens, played with them for a few days, filled them up with a bunch of crap. Now I have it set to ONE screen, and I like it.

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Well when all 3 of my current home screens are full and I don't feel like rooting it excites me to see were getting 2 more. Bluetooth voice dial doesn't matter to me cause I rarely use my Bluetooth headset

Ah, my friend, if you haven't given any of the Home alternatives a shot you have been missing out in a big way...go install LauncherPro from the App Store right now, and you'll feel like you got your update a couple of days early. Best thing since sliced bread, you have to give it a try--up to seven screens, great features, and stable as can be. You don't have to be rooted, AND it will keep working through the upgrade so you won't be wasting your time.

True story! I was excited to use 7 screens, played with them for a few days, filled them up with a bunch of crap. Now I have it set to ONE screen, and I like it.
Ain't that the truth brother. :icon_ banana: Um, I still have 5 screens myself--filled with crap--but I recognize the truth when I see it.

-Matt

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Google designed it to be a free feature, perhaps, but the carrier has final say. Verizon said "pay me!" and (and I know some people are going to disagree) cut it from the Droid 1 because it would encourage sales of new phones.

However, the Palm Pre offered free WiFi hotspot feature as a selling point. Interesting, no?

I know it makes me angry. My wife has the Palm Pixi and her phone has the wifi hotspot. I told her about it and she's like whats that. I tried it out when we went on the road a few weeks back. It doesn't do too bad. But i still like my Droid alot better. As soon as I get the Froyo update im rooting to get the wifi hot spot and tethering.

Exactly what I'm doing..

think there will be a "pure" root method, like 2.1 where we could just push the su and superuser into the current stock os?

voodoodaddy

Reaction score
Im rooted but on the stock 2.1. Will I get the OTA update? Will there be any issues since Im rooted? I rooted primarily to wifi tether my ipad. It wont undo that functionality will it? I think there is wifi tether built-in to 2.2 but you have to pay for it. Sorry if this has been answered, dont have time to search around right now.

xmguy

Reaction score
Im rooted but on the stock 2.1. Will I get the OTA update? Will there be any issues since Im rooted? I rooted primarily to wifi tether my ipad. It wont undo that functionality will it? I think there is wifi tether built-in to 2.2 but you have to pay for it. Sorry if this has been answered, dont have time to search around right now.

Same here. I have Stock 2.1 but rooted. I'm on WiFi and can still get the update. But I want to wait till the 2.2 is officially rooted on the Droid (1)

technique

Reaction score

joeybarclay

Reaction score
well one thing you can with wifi hotspot do is conect it to devices that dont have usb ports like ipods and other things. usb tether wont work for me for some reason :icon_evil:

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
With WiFi tethering you don't have to carry your USB cable with you. That's probably the most practical use for people who don't need/want to rely on their phone as a (if not the) primary source for internet.

AlDoes

Reaction score
I have been waiting for this update for so long! I can't wait to get the update!