Install task killer or not??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drew_P

Reaction score
Sorry if this has already been posted....but I've been reading pros and cons to downloading and installing a task killer on my tb. Can someone please give me a definitive answer on whether or not it is beneficial or if it will somehow cause my phone harm. I'm really loving this phone since day one and don't want to screw it up. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!!

finally thunderboltin' and lovin it!!!!!

km04

Reaction score
i am new to android and found this article very intresting. i had installed advanced task manager and found it to be a help, i was a little put of by the apps always staying open after i exited it and by apps that start without me starting them.

i guess we have been so conditioned by microsoft with all of their issues with windows and apps that this just seemed like a natural course of action.

how do we, as users, get control over these apps that start when we don't use or want them. i am talking about things like kindle, friend stream, vcast apps, mobile im, peep, tunewiki, and all the other crap that shows as running. I didn't start these apps, don't use these apps, and really would like to get rid of them(i know that can't happen right now, but i do have hope!). i read that there is a way to stop them from starting and followed the directions but they keep coming back. any advice is greatly appreciated.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The only real way to 'stop' or remove these unwanted apps is to root your device. Not necessarily ideal for every user out there, but most of these unwanted apps are 'bloatware' placed on the device by carriers/partners and sometimes manufacturers. For the most part, no one likes this stuff... but they keep putting it there. :(

With root access you can simply rename the .apk's for these apps to .bak and they will essentially be hidden from the OS. Flat out removing apps isn't recommended unless you're comfortable with the in's and out's of rooting/ROMing/SBFing etc.

Using a task killer to 'kill' them as they open is only going to be more resource intensive on your device as these programs will continue to open, because it is how the OS is designed to operate.

km04

Reaction score
The only real way to 'stop' or remove these unwanted apps is to root your device. Not necessarily ideal for every user out there, but most of these unwanted apps are 'bloatware' placed on the device by carriers/partners and sometimes manufacturers. For the most part, no one likes this stuff... but they keep putting it there. :(

With root access you can simply rename the .apk's for these apps to .bak and they will essentially be hidden from the OS. Flat out removing apps isn't recommended unless you're comfortable with the in's and out's of rooting/ROMing/SBFing etc.

Using a task killer to 'kill' them as they open is only going to be more resource intensive on your device as these programs will continue to open, because it is how the OS is designed to operate.

thanks for the reply. i have been reading a little on rooting, right now enough to be a danger but no real help to myself. i think i would like to try it, but as for now i think i am going to run it as is.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score

thanks for the reply. i have been reading a little on rooting, right now enough to be a danger but no real help to myself. i think i would like to try it, but as for now i think i am going to run it as is.

Definitely read up before you even consider rooting. Not that there's a great risk, but it's much less stressful should something go wrong if you're familiar with the 'what's' and 'why's'.

If you do decide to go the root route, we have some great guides here on the forum and a second to none Rescue Squad, along with extremely helpful members... any of which can help walk you through the process.

I'm going to go ahead and close this thread as we try to consolidate the Task Killer threads into the one linked.

OP - If you have any questions feel free to PM me

Status
Not open for further replies.