Information on Update

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
I spoke with a Level II tech at Samsung for some time today. He said that since the Galaxy Nexus is a Google Device, Google are the ones who decide what to fix and when to roll out the update. Verizon get's told it's done and they ultimately are the ones who push it. But neither Samsung or Verizon has a real hand in the update itself. Samsung clearly did not know when the update would be - they said it was a Google issue. If it was their phone (not a Google phone) they would be the ones to do the work.

I told him some of the issues and he advised me to post them here..

Android Devices - Google Mobile Help
These forums will be shutting down but interestingly enough Google is reading them actively and posting responses.

I posted a few threads tonight I I would urge everyone to go there and comment on them so they know it's not isolated to me.

The only issue that was very evident there was the random reboot issue. I added threads for Volume, Signal, and problems syncing the Google Browser.

WookieClaws

Reaction score
The only sniff I have had of when to expect the update is 3rd week of January, and another in March. Hopefully that's right.

I bought the extended battery when I got the phone and went to VZW today to get the battery charger. Now I have 3 batteries, lol. Two is probably enough, but that will give me extra if needed.

Honestly I love this phone, but I want to use it and not baby it like I have been. So battery swapping I go!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

TeeX

Reaction score
great info - thanks!

I think we're all hoping that the updates will come quickly, and be much more frequent than the normal Verizon-burdened phones.

Axium

Reaction score
one thing i've noticed that is the speaker size of the OG droid and GNex.. i mean compare them.. that is why it's so low on the GNex, i do agree though, it does seem rather low. i use Volume+ btw, but i wish I didn't have to. it's not JUST the speaker volume, also, it's also when my headphones were plugged in, so that tells me it's not the speaker size.. heh

kjcword

Reaction score
Fwiw...On 1/11, when exchanging my first gnex, I was repeatedly told that a google update was coming around second week of Feb.

OP
SSHGuru

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
I've read some stuff and have been on the phone with Samsung alot lately. We should be getting an update soon and then probably every few weeks.

TeeX

Reaction score
I've read some stuff and have been on the phone with Samsung alot lately. We should be getting an update soon and then probably every few weeks.

awesome! hope you're right :)

OP
SSHGuru

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
one thing i've noticed that is the speaker size of the OG droid and GNex.. i mean compare them.. that is why it's so low on the GNex, i do agree though, it does seem rather low. i use Volume+ btw, but i wish I didn't have to. it's not JUST the speaker volume, also, it's also when my headphones were plugged in, so that tells me it's not the speaker size.. heh

You haven't seen either speaker.

The OG Droid speaker was covered by a grill - if you took that off the speaker itself was just a small hole.

The Nexus speaker has a smaller grill but for all we know it could be a bigger speaker.

doublea500

Reaction score
You haven't seen either speaker.

The OG Droid speaker was covered by a grill - if you took that off the speaker itself was just a small hole.

The Nexus speaker has a smaller grill but for all we know it could be a bigger speaker.

ty, never knew that about the og speaker.

bsmith0731

Reaction score

I am sure waiting for this update. Its going on a month since release.

SSH guru do you think this is slow compared to other android devices? I'm new to android.

doublea500

Reaction score
I am sure waiting for this update. Its going on a month since release.

SSH guru do you think this is slow compared to other android devices? I'm new to android.

its not slow. the galaxy nexus will get updates quicker then any other android phone

Htown315

Reaction score
I would love to see an official ota that extends the gnex talk time. Voice calls using 15% an hour with data off is extreme.