Bootloader? Encrypted or not?

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
There's no way it's VZW making Moto encrypt the bootloader. Moto is the only mfg that does it so I'm not sure why things would be any different. If this were the Moto Galaxy Nexus, then we'd have reason to sweat it!
Verizon doesnt have the resources (thankgod) to encrypt bootloaders. They make the recomendations to the manufacturer. Encrypting a bootloader means its Locked. Nexus devices are GED Dev devices and therefor require the bootloader to be accessable. Every other VZW device has some sort of lock on the bootloader, except D1 and Xoom. Others may be unlocked via third party or HTC allows on some via web, but not ideal.

Yeah I think it is just a matter of Moto's security being better than the others. I really wouldn't worry too much about this phone being locked/encrypted like the moto phones. Just my opinion, but I feel like we are forgetting that this is a Nexus...

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
The nexus is a development phone it has to be easily unlocked. Googe and vzw will release it like they do the other nexus phones. Like someone said above, it may ship locked but be easily unlock-able and ready to go.

OriginalDroid

Reaction score
The only thing regarding a lock and this phone should be the two year contract I lock myself into when I get it.

I don't think we'll have a problem with the bootloader, but I don't think we'll be able to avoid atleast a smidgen of bloatware, thankfully, one of ICS's new features is making that nasty stuff vanish. :D

Detonation

Reaction score
There's no way it's VZW making Moto encrypt the bootloader. Moto is the only mfg that does it so I'm not sure why things would be any different. If this were the Moto Galaxy Nexus, then we'd have reason to sweat it!

The European version of the RAZR has an unlocked bootloader. It is locked in the US (Verizon) because Verizon specifically requested that it be, according to Moto.