Bootloader? Encrypted or not?

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
Knowing Verizon's track record with Android devices, the bootloader is one of the last major questions a lot of us have about this device. Sure it's a Nexus device, and that by itself should ensure that the device is dev friendly. But, unfortunately there's still a lot of doubt regarding this phone and Verizon allowing it to be unlocked and running rampant on their network. What do you guys and gals think? I was considering contacting Verizon, Google, and Samsung to see if I could get confirmation. Does anyone know who to contact?

Edit: And just to clarify, I'm aware that in the past Samsung devices have had "friendly" bootloaders. Lets just hope Verizon let them stay that way :)

Last edited:

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
I don't think Google Experience phones have locked bootloaders.

OP
sbenson

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
I don't think Google Experience phones have locked bootloaders.

I agree. I'm on the side that thinks this will be fully unlocked and untouched by Verizon.

But still the paranoia is running rampant throughout the Nexus threads.

Reaction score
Yeah its definently completely unlocked and ready to go

Edit: Maybe I shouldn't say definitely but I thought that was the deal with nexus phones and what I had been hearing this whole time

Last edited:

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
If I'm not mistaken, isn't Moto the only donut hole on VZW that encrypts the bootloaders?

OP
sbenson

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken, isn't Moto the only donut hole on VZW that encrypts the bootloaders?

I'm pretty sure that's the case. I'm just looking for 100% confirmation. Too many people sounding off about this - put a bit of doubt in the back of my mind. An encrypted bootloader would be the only thing holding back a purchase at this point for me.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that's the case. I'm just looking for 100% confirmation. Too many people sounding off about this - put a bit of doubt in the back of my mind. An encrypted bootloader would be the only thing holding back a purchase at this point for me.

Really? Would you would choose an HTC Rezound over this phone because of a locked bootloader? Locked bootloader or not, I'm getting a new phone. My OG can't take much more. Refreshing ROMs only puts it on life support, but I'm about to pull the plug.

OP
sbenson

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
Really? Would you would choose an HTC Rezound over this phone because of a locked bootloader? Locked bootloader or not, I'm getting a new phone. My OG can't take much more. Refreshing ROMs only puts it on life support, but I'm about to pull the plug.

Probably not. My OG is very tired and the Nexus is looking sweeter and sweeter each day.

The Razr looks like a great phone, but with Verizon's bootloader policy, it might as well be an iPhone. I'll never have any interest in a Moto phone as long as Verizon holds them to this.

NewAge

XOOM Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I'd be willing to bet the bootloaders will ship locked. The owner can unlock if they choose to by using adb and fastboot to unlock. We will know soon and I doubt we will really know until someone tries. There will be a guide, and some adventurous soul may get a one click working, but its not worth it. Its very easy and you will have to restore using adb anyways so get comfy with it.

OP
sbenson

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'd be willing to bet the bootloaders will ship locked. The owner can unlock if they choose to by using adb and fastboot to unlock. We will know soon and I doubt we will really know until someone tries. There will be a guide, and some adventurous soul may get a one click working, but its not worth it. Its very easy and you will have to restore using adb anyways so get comfy with it.

No doubt, previous Nexus devices shipped with locked bootloaders which were easily unlocked. The question is, did Verizon make Samsung/Google encrypt the bootloader a la Motorola?

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
No doubt, previous Nexus devices shipped with locked bootloaders which were easily unlocked. The question is, did Verizon make Samsung/Google encrypt the bootloader a la Motorola?

There's no way it's VZW making Moto encrypt the bootloader. Moto is the only mfg that does it so I'm not sure why things would be any different. If this were the Moto Galaxy Nexus, then we'd have reason to sweat it!

OP
sbenson

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
There's no way it's VZW making Moto encrypt the bootloader. Moto is the only mfg that does it so I'm not sure why things would be any different. If this were the Moto Galaxy Nexus, then we'd have reason to sweat it!

When put on the spot, Moto officially blamed Verizon.

BL4Z3D247

Reaction score

I can't see Google allowing Verizon to lock it down hardcore like Motorola. Google knows if they did the Nexus brand will be tarnished as it wouldn't be a pure Google phone with a tightly locked bootloader. Google understands that users don't want to be told they can't do what they want to do with the phone they just paid for. That's like a car dealership saying you can't install an aftermarket system into the car you just paid for. I'm going to go and say if it's locked down there will be a way to unlock it easily. You just have to have faith in Google because I don't think we would be seeing a Nexus device on Verizon unless Verizon agreed to let Google do what they do best.

NewAge

XOOM Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Verizon doesnt have the resources (thankgod) to encrypt bootloaders. They make the recomendations to the manufacturer. Encrypting a bootloader means its Locked. Nexus devices are GED Dev devices and therefor require the bootloader to be accessable. Every other VZW device has some sort of lock on the bootloader, except D1 and Xoom. Others may be unlocked via third party or HTC allows on some via web, but not ideal.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Locked or unlocked, this is the phone I want. I think we can all agree it's the only phone being released with the "whole package."

We're getting ICS from the start, which is a huge selling point personally, just having that new OS will feel very refreshing.

I agree that we should be worried, Verizon has never given us any reason not to, so hopefully it's unlocked, if not, we'll deal with it later.