New Droids To Include Double Locked Bootloaders and Encrypted Fastboot Commands

BlackMill

Reaction score
There are two things that come to my mind when I read this article. The first is, "What do Verizon and Motorola gain from doing stuff like this?" Why not make methods of knowing when someone has rooted their phone more advanced and make it known to the public that if you root you are out of warranty. That seems fair to me. That way they allow us to do what we want with our phones but they make it known that they don't have to cover us if we do something wrong. The second thing that comes to mind is "Is there a company like HTC or Sony who take advantage of Moto and Samsung tightening up?" What I mean is HTC could easily appeal to our community and even consumers as a whole by campaigning the fact that when you buy their phones you own it and its yours to do as you please. Why don't companies read forums like this and take into account our opinions? For the most part our ideas would make phones more desirable to all consumers, tech savvy or not.

djspy

Reaction score
I maintained root using voodoo ota root keeper on the update I got yesterday. RAZR Maxx HD.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
What's Verizon got against rooting/bootloader unlocking anyways? My phone bill is exactly the same it was when my Note 2 was running stock as it is now.

Yes, but if Rooting allows you to Tether without paying VZW that extra $15? I'd say that hurts VZW.
And as long as "Rooter's and Jailbreakers" make up (at best) 5% of the market, no one is going to care about them.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
You know, if I could backup apps and data on my phone, and then restore those apps and data after a phone refresh (like I can with MyBackupPro or Titanium), I WOULDN'T NEED ROOT.

Or if they would allow App developers permissions to make changes to all aspects of the UI, to create "enhancements" for the Stock device, there WOULD BE NO NEED FOR ROOT.

The reason Root is needed is because locked down devices are limited for POWER USERS.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...xLDIxMiwiY29tLmtvdXNoaWtkdXR0YS5iYWNrdXAiXQ.. Though not as easy and convenient as TiBu, it works. I used it on my Dad's nonrooted Galaxy Note and it worked just fine.

TheOldFart

Reaction score
Why not make methods of knowing when someone has rooted their phone more advanced and make it known to the public that if you root you are out of warranty. That seems fair to me. That way they allow us to do what we want with our phones but they make it known that they don't have to cover us if we do something wrong.

Yes, but if Rooting allows you to Tether without paying VZW that extra $15? I'd say that hurts VZW.
And as long as "Rooter's and Jailbreakers" make up (at best) 5% of the market, no one is going to care about them.

I'm guessing that's all that Verizon cares about - paying for a bricked phone that someone tried to incorrectly root and getting screwed out of the tethering fee. If they could find a way to track those they might not lock the phones. I have no reason to root or tether, but I think that if someone does that they should adhere to the contract instead of finding ways around it. Doing anything else is grounds for a lawsuit from Verizon if it were not for the fact that the suit would cost them more than what they would get back. I'm not a fan of Verizon's pricing, but others cheating Verizon just makes them increase fees and that costs me money.

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
I'm guessing that's all that Verizon cares about - paying for a bricked phone that someone tried to incorrectly root and getting screwed out of the tethering fee. If they could find a way to track those they might not lock the phones. I have no reason to root or tether, but I think that if someone does that they should adhere to the contract instead of finding ways around it. Doing anything else is grounds for a lawsuit from Verizon if it were not for the fact that the suit would cost them more than what they would get back. I'm not a fan of Verizon's pricing, but others cheating Verizon just makes them increase fees and that costs me money.

The problem with this is that Android was created as open source which is meant to be for the end user. We are supposed to be able to change and customize our devices how we want. Not how the manufacturer and carrier want. As long as there are rules and regulations there are going to be people who try to find ways around them. If the carriers just stopped messing with the bootloader and gave us root access from the start than the issue will be taken care of. The way to rid the issue of tethering has pretty much been dealt with. The only ones that don't get it included are those still on unlimited data plans. If they were smart they would set a reasonable amount per GB of data and just bill us for what we use. They would get more from me that way as once I get close to my data cap for the month I stop using it. If they just billed me as I used it I would use when and how I wanted..... But back to the bigger issue and that is how the carriers have broken the "rules" of Google and the open source concept.

Sent via CR'd Note 2

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
images

This week has been a week of oppression and injustice in the root community. Samsung and Motorola have both released updates which block root, and patch bootloader unlock methods. The Galaxy S4 udpate not only took away root but also made the bootloader more secure. The Motorola update patched root and the bootloader unlock exploit. If you have received the update on the RAZR HD series devices before unlocking your bootloader then you may not have root on your device any time soon.

There has also been some information that has come to the surface regarding the security of the upcoming Droid series of devices on Verizon. It would appear that Verizon has placed their proverbial foot down! They have had enough of this rooting business and would like for it to end abruptly. According to sources new motorola devices will have double locked bootloaders and encrypted fastboot commands. This could be detrimental for anyone wishing to root or mod these devices. Hopefully Kexec or Loki could be worked out for these devices, but normally developers won't adopt a device unless the device has an unlocked bootloader out of the gate.

If these phones are locked down will you still purchase one?

Believe it or not I think it is fair as far as with Samsung S4 and here is why, they offer both a development and a g.e version. Now Some will say "I have to pay 600 for it". The phone always cost 600 the carrier buy the device and you get it at a cheaper rate if you are willing to accept the device on their terms. In other words, because they are part of the cost and offer it cheaper so that you can use it per their terms. If you do not want a device that the carrier has influence then you the customer will have to take the full liability of the device or buy it at cost.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
let me make a slight adjustment to what I said above. In that the moment the user pays for the device in full they should be given the option to unlock the device if the so choose or given the software to make it a g.e device.

markwebb

Reaction score
let me make a slight adjustment to what I said above. In that the moment the user pays for the device in full they should be given the option to unlock the device if the so choose or given the software to make it a g.e device.
Exactly..and why I switched from MOTO the past 4 years (OG Droid>>>>Bionic) to Samsung Galaxy S4 Dev Edition. True, MOTO has a better build quality, but I am now enjoying freedom..and I keep unlimited data. :)

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Agree with PC.

Ever since these Google Edition phones popped up, manufacturers have more incentive to lock down their stock devices. You get to use their device on their terms as was intended, and if you don't like that option, there's a Google Edition of it, well at least the s4 and One for now. I think this trend of "manufacturer experience" devices and Google Edition devices will be available on all manufacturers for their flagship devices eventually.

kinfolk248

Reaction score
That's what I said earlier, it's just a ploy to push the 'nexus experience' phones. But it's funny how many people go for the stock but 'they' keep pushing gimmicky skins...

In the end it's all about the dollar my friends, always remember that!

combatmedic870

Reaction score
Agree with PC.

Ever since these Google Edition phones popped up, manufacturers have more incentive to lock down their stock devices. You get to use their device on their terms as was intended, and if you don't like that option, there's a Google Edition of it, well at least the s4 and One for now. I think this trend of "manufacturer experience" devices and Google Edition devices will be available on all manufacturers for their flagship devices eventually.

I didnt know you could get the Dev edition OR the Google edition of the S4 on Verizon.....

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
You can't.... Yet.

Sent from my XT926 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2