New Droids To Include Double Locked Bootloaders and Encrypted Fastboot Commands

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
images

This week has been a week of oppression and injustice in the root community. Samsung and Motorola have both released updates which block root, and patch bootloader unlock methods. The Galaxy S4 udpate not only took away root but also made the bootloader more secure. The Motorola update patched root and the bootloader unlock exploit. If you have received the update on the RAZR HD series devices before unlocking your bootloader then you may not have root on your device any time soon.

There has also been some information that has come to the surface regarding the security of the upcoming Droid series of devices on Verizon. It would appear that Verizon has placed their proverbial foot down! They have had enough of this rooting business and would like for it to end abruptly. According to sources new motorola devices will have double locked bootloaders and encrypted fastboot commands. This could be detrimental for anyone wishing to root or mod these devices. Hopefully Kexec or Loki could be worked out for these devices, but normally developers won't adopt a device unless the device has an unlocked bootloader out of the gate.

If these phones are locked down will you still purchase one?

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
Absolutely not. Seems like such wasted effort on their part.

Sent from my XT926 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

Reaction score
I don't get it. Why can't we be free and why can't they just give people what they want? Nothing but flat out greed makes this happen. I hope whoever makes these decisions suffers as they are killing all innovation. I guess I'll be sticking to my Gnex for a very long time. It still works flawlessly.

Ohyea!

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Wow, I am really pissed at Samsung. At this rate I might have to look into prepaid options.

xsylus

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra H4233
As always Motorola likes to sprinkle bad ideas and half-baked feature concepts into otherwise potentially awesome devices. It looks like my Droid 4 may be the last Motorola device I own for a while. I had an issue during one of the ICS updates on my Droid 4 where the OS was full of glitches due to a corrupted OTA update file. Since my device is not under warranty I had to fix it myself by flashing a fastboot version of the same update. Imagine if car owners couldn't "pimp" or customize their cars the way they wanted because the manufacturer put limits, locks, restrictions, etc on a car.

HEY MOTOROLA!!! I OWN THE DEVICE!!! :cus:

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I wonder if Google might expand their developer/unlocked phones. And then the carriers will lock them down tight. So if you want a developer phone, you will pay retail thru the Play Store. That way the carriers don't have to mess with whatever problems presumably arise from unlocking/rooting.

But you have to remember we are a small % of users and ultimately have little impact. And if carriers and manufacturers collude then we will have virtually no impact with few options.

That said, nothing wrong with my S-Off Rezound. Might even get a new battery some day and keep it for a while.

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
Developer phones are great but get little dev support because most people don't want to pay $600+ for a phone and its not worth the devs time to create for them...

And yes we are a small percent so leave us alone.

SwiftLegend

Reaction score
And here I thought Motorola was trying to change and produce products that would make the us, the consumers, happy. I guess all those ads and crap were just lies.

What's Verizon got against rooting/bootloader unlocking anyways? My phone bill is exactly the same it was when my Note 2 was running stock as it is now.

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
Developer phones are great but get little dev support because most people don't want to pay $600+ for a phone and its not worth the devs time to create for them...

And yes we are a small percent so leave us alone.

This will change with the Moto X I believe.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
You know, if I could backup apps and data on my phone, and then restore those apps and data after a phone refresh (like I can with MyBackupPro or Titanium), I WOULDN'T NEED ROOT.

Or if they would allow App developers permissions to make changes to all aspects of the UI, to create "enhancements" for the Stock device, there WOULD BE NO NEED FOR ROOT.

The reason Root is needed is because locked down devices are limited for POWER USERS.