I'm not talking smack but...

djbrent2

Reaction score
understood, but some of these GB roms are released as final and complete. CM7 isn't even RC1 yet for OG Droid. if it's not going to work, then why is anyone releasing anything? i'm not a dev, but i may get into it if Android is still big when i go back to school, and if my next phone has support for it all. if i was a dev, my release wouldn't be public until it was done. i wouldn't care if it was the last one out. there wouldn't be threads about bugs unless it was about some 3rd party app i didn't use. all of that would be kept to testers and nightlies. ijs...

i'm actually on 3.01 now with Black 'n' Bold and Pete's 1ghz. it's only been a day, so we'll see what happens. i haven't tried the camcorder yet, but i would hope that it works. ;X

Reaction score
understood, but some of these GB roms are released as final and complete. CM7 isn't even RC1 yet for OG Droid. if it's not going to work, then why is anyone releasing anything? i'm not a dev, but i may get into it if Android is still big when i go back to school, and if my next phone has support for it all. if i was a dev, my release wouldn't be public until it was done. i wouldn't care if it was the last one out. there wouldn't be threads about bugs unless it was about some 3rd party app i didn't use. all of that would be kept to testers and nightlies. ijs...

i'm actually on 3.01 now with Black 'n' Bold and Pete's 1ghz. it's only been a day, so we'll see what happens. i haven't tried the camcorder yet, but i would hope that it works. ;X

Well dev's release them before being 100% so people can get a taste of what's been going on. And they'll tell you if there are major bugs (3g not working, wifi, etc) but part of releasing it is so that others can test it and report bugs. Its a lot easier for hundreds of people to test a rom and find bugs then a few people. And the bugs are found quicker and reported quicker. And then other users can say "hey I found a solution for so and so bug" releasing them early is helpful to the devs.

Skull One

Reaction score
You believe the OG droid will get an official 2.4 OTA? That's interesting. I don't see that happening to be honest. The last "update" to the OG droid was December I believe and that was just a minor bug fix for Froyo. The last major OTA was Froyo in August. I'd be extremely surprised if they pushed another OTA to the D1. While it's not impossible, I wouldn't go so far as saying that someone who believes that it's not going to happen is lying...Motorola has no reason at all to continue to support the OG Droid, at least none that I can see.

I believe no one has officially stated either way. Which means implying it will or will not is a lie at best.

Motorola has shown they are not 100% stupid. By continuing to update all Android phones, they keep their customer base buying their phones. Remember, we "rooters" don't make a dent in their fiscal well being. The non-"rooters" however do. And losing them because they didn't update a phone that was less than 2 years old would be a good way to help those people defect to another phone. Possibly one made by another company.

I believe greed will be the factor that dictates if an official Gingerbread release to the D1, DX, D2, etc series of phones. And Motorola, the last time I checked, is very greedy.

dfuser312553

Silver Member
Reaction score
You believe the OG droid will get an official 2.4 OTA? That's interesting. I don't see that happening to be honest. The last "update" to the OG droid was December I believe and that was just a minor bug fix for Froyo. The last major OTA was Froyo in August. I'd be extremely surprised if they pushed another OTA to the D1. While it's not impossible, I wouldn't go so far as saying that someone who believes that it's not going to happen is lying...Motorola has no reason at all to continue to support the OG Droid, at least none that I can see.

I believe no one has officially stated either way. Which means implying it will or will not is a lie at best.

Motorola has shown they are not 100% stupid. By continuing to update all Android phones, they keep their customer base buying their phones.

^What about milestone? Where's its froyo? Basically if it wasn't branded as Droid & it was from Moto; you got no updates.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score

Motorola has shown they are not 100% stupid. By continuing to update all Android phones, they keep their customer base buying their phones. Remember, we "rooters" don't make a dent in their fiscal well being. The non-"rooters" however do. And losing them because they didn't update a phone that was less than 2 years old would be a good way to help those people defect to another phone. Possibly one made by another company.

I believe greed will be the factor that dictates if an official Gingerbread release to the D1, DX, D2, etc series of phones. And Motorola, the last time I checked, is very greedy.

Yeah good point, but that's what should be done, not necessarily what will be done. History shows that Verizon doesn't support it's phones past 6-8 months. They haven't proven history wrong yet and I guess I'm skeptical because of that. I don't see it happening. It would be great if it does, but the D1 is old, too old. Far too many other Motorola phones out there (which sell great) for them to worry about it. Heck, I'd be surprised if the X even gets GB haha...and I am about 99% certain that it won't get anything past GB.

That's just how Verizon operates. You get stuck in your contract for 2 years, and then are forced to full retail to get a better OS/phone. It's a crappy strategy, but they really don't need to stop it, because each phone outsells or comes very close to outselling its predecessor, so their plan is working :)

I agree 100% that rooters have zero influence on Moto's decisions, however I dont think it makes any fiscal sense for Moto to have to push an OTA to the D1 for GB. It's bound to cause compatibility issues, and they'd have to devote time to support a 2 year old phone.

Skull One

Reaction score
^What about milestone? Where's its froyo? Basically if it wasn't branded as Droid & it was from Moto; you got no updates.

My current understanding is the Milestone 2.2 update is due out this quarter. If they miss this third promise release cycle, then yes I would concur that Motorola dropped the ball for non-US based phones.

dfuser312553

Silver Member
Reaction score

My current understanding is the Milestone 2.2 update is due out this quarter. If they miss this third promise release cycle, then yes I would concur that Motorola dropped the ball for non-US based phones.

They're lucky they've had it unofficially for a while thanks to the DEVs;)

Silvernirvash

Reaction score
I'm not a doctor or anything but I don't see anywhere where it says "RC" or "beta" on these newer releases (3.x.x) anymore. I see that you decided to read only what you wanted in my post, as you can see I am very pleased with UD being that 2.5 is a rock solid ROM. It's pretty much the only thing I will run on my phone as of the past 3 months or more. I'm merely stating my opinion on the matter, just because these recent releases are buggy doesn't mean that I won't continue to try them out. All I'm saying is that things don't need to be rushed when it comes to new releases. It's indeed a good thing that these are made public so that any problems can be discovered and worked out.

The reason i called it a BETA is because if you've used a nightly rom in the past all nightlies come with the theme chooser for starter. not many full released roms come with the "theme chooser" app. and the second reason is that not a single full released rom has yet to come with that on off animation where it looks like a tv turning off. nightlies usually have something missing somewhere along the way that the full release rom that came before it had. and considering THIS 3.0.1 has so many bugs in it i'd say that yah...its pretty dam close to a nightly and not a true full release.
not that theres something wrong with that i love the new settings menu look and even the fact that there is a theme chooser makes things so much easier for me >w<;;

These ROMs most likely get rushed because little whineys make threads about "where is Gingerbread" and "can't wait for Gingerbread" and "who has a status update on BD's Gingerbread." I'm sure this doesn't help any devs take their time to make a solid ROM when users are clawing at their feet for it to come out RIGHT NOW because "they can't wait anymore." Then when a release is rushed to make users happy, they all complain about bugs. Give em a break and some time to create a solid ROM...

And another thing. I wish people would stop complaining about nightlies for several reasons:

1. Its on their OWN website. I'm pretty sure that devs can do what they want on their own website. That means if they want to charge you the money you can find under your couch cushions each month for experimental and possibly broken bug fixes that "you just can't wait for an update release for", then so be it. You can choose to wait for updates to the ROM and not subscribe to nightlies. After all, this is America, and there are choices.

2. Its 3 friggin dollars a month, come on. How can you really complain about this? I'm a broke college graduate with no job. I can even afford this. But once again, you DO have the option to NOT subscribe and wait for updates to the ROM.

So, to conclude my rant, lol, give these guys a break, let them create a good finished product, and be patient. Otherwise, deal with bugs...

Play a jam!

im not complaining about the actual nightlies i love nightlies and stuff like that lol. the only reason i dont like the fee is cuz i cant afford it ;-; -hisses at fees- :p and i totally agree thats usually the reason they rush the production of their roms are some what rushed to shut those kind of people up lol.

Silvernirvash

Reaction score

Yeah good point, but that's what should be done, not necessarily what will be done. History shows that Verizon doesn't support it's phones past 6-8 months. They haven't proven history wrong yet and I guess I'm skeptical because of that. I don't see it happening. It would be great if it does, but the D1 is old, too old. Far too many other Motorola phones out there (which sell great) for them to worry about it. Heck, I'd be surprised if the X even gets GB haha...and I am about 99% certain that it won't get anything past GB.

That's just how Verizon operates. You get stuck in your contract for 2 years, and then are forced to full retail to get a better OS/phone. It's a crappy strategy, but they really don't need to stop it, because each phone outsells or comes very close to outselling its predecessor, so their plan is working :)

I agree 100% that rooters have zero influence on Moto's decisions, however I dont think it makes any fiscal sense for Moto to have to push an OTA to the D1 for GB. It's bound to cause compatibility issues, and they'd have to devote time to support a 2 year old phone.

mmm now their ways of doing business is far worse. originally they gave you incentive to upgrade every 2 years by giving you a mail in rebate. when i first got my droid they firstly knocked the price from 600 to 200 for canceling my phone number on my family plan and signing up for a NEW phonenumber and then they took off another 100$ with a mail in rebate. in the end i only spent 100 for it lol. all i can suggest for those on verizon is when you DO in fact get close to your 2 yr renewal date (cuz they usually do it automatically instead of asking you if you want to continue the service) go to your local verizon store the DAY of its renewal and cancel your phonenumber and just sign up for a new one and theyll knock the price down on any phone you buy as your upgrade since ur buying it for a new number instead of an old one they dont have to transfer any data and if you had an android phone before that any apps you had or data you DID have on the old one will be transferred through googles networks instead of verizon :p

wierdo124

Reaction score
Those saying GB is buggy, i beg to differ. I thought the same until i did a clean reinstall WITHOUT using Titanium Backup to restore my apps. I restored them the old way, via Market. Only used TB for SMS. Granted i'm on a CM7 nightly but it ain't THAT different from UD. It's running absolutely flawlessly.

dfuser312553

Silver Member
Reaction score
^I'm right there with you! CM is were its at. Hold down your camera button though. That is buggy.

Rodeojones

Reaction score
Those saying GB is buggy, i beg to differ. I thought the same until i did a clean reinstall WITHOUT using Titanium Backup to restore my apps. I restored them the old way, via Market. Only used TB for SMS. Granted i'm on a CM7 nightly but it ain't THAT different from UD. It's running absolutely flawlessly.

I agree. Any GB ROM I've used on my phone has been great (and I've tried them all). However, I do restore apps with Titanium Backup and I still have very few issues. And any problems I have are due to the apps not being compatible with GB and not a ROM issue. Perhaps I'm lucky.

Darksthour

Reaction score
Yes actually I have always run into a problem with updating with titanium backup. I'm pretty sure it's made for 2.2. And anything done used for the older version of android obviously isn't going to work well with a new version. Not to mention using it on a phone not designed for 2.3. There is a good reason why they don't have older phones use new operating systems. It's similar if you had a pc that used windows me. Then you upgraded to xp. Everything worked fine till you moved up to vista or win7. Obviously there are going to be some problems.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App