ICS Fail - missing a system app

dadrunamok

Reaction score
I have been trying all day to install the ICS update. I had used Titanium Backup to remove some system apps and was able to restore all of them except for the Calculator app. It appears that the backup was corrupted because the checksum was not correct. I renamed the app to calculator.xxx and the update still failed.

Does anybody have the calculator.apk file from a Bionic running Gingerbread that they can send my way? I think that if I put that file back in /system/apps, the update will work. I have tried Googling for it, but no joy so far.

Thanks in advance.

OP
D

dadrunamok

Reaction score
No more to see here. After several attempts to grab that apk, I finally gave up and flashed back to stock 5.9.905.
With everything back to its original state, the update worked just fine.
I had backups, so my apps, SMS messages and call log are as they were before and all is nice and creamy...

GemMoth

Reaction score
I uninstalled some system apps. I didn't know then that it was recommended to freeze instead of uninstalling. I do have backups of thoses apps but they won't install. I get a message "Application not installed" when I try to install them.
I understand that OTA update can fail when apps are missing. I'm already on Ice Cream Sandwich. What are my solutions when Jelly Bean will roll out via OTA?

OP
D

dadrunamok

Reaction score
Some of the gurus might reply as well, but I think the only solution is to flash to stock ICS. Instructions for flashing a stock ROM using RSDLite can be found on this site, or just searching Google. The stock Verizon ROMs are also pretty freely available.

I was able to use SMS Backup and Restore to keep my messaging history, and MyBackup for my non-system apps. Saved me some setup time after the flash. Neither of these requires root.

I did get away with uninstalling system apps, but I backed them all up before removing them so that I could quickly restore them for the ICS update. The calculator app's backup was corrupted and that is what caused my problem. So this time before rooting the phone, I copied the entire /System folder to SD card. This way if a TB backup is broken, I can get it back anyway.

Good luck!

sst45jeff

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
What he said - dadrunamok best option to get it back to stock just back up the stuff you want to keep.
All files & info to do it can be found at the link below.

GemMoth

Reaction score
What he said - dadrunamok best option to get it back to stock just back up the stuff you want to keep.
All files & info to do it can be found at the link below.

Before I try to put the stock ROM, I think I should try to get the missing apk from you guys. I made backups before I uninstalled. But those apk are strangely small. For instance, Acoustic warning is only 11 kb. I suspect something went wrong when I Root Uninstaller made those. I remember it frooze.

sst45jeff

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
Before I try to put the stock ROM, I think I should try to get the missing apk from you guys. I made backups before I uninstalled. But those apk are strangely small. For instance, Acoustic warning is only 11 kb. I suspect something went wrong when I Root Uninstaller made those. I remember it frooze.
Flashing the phone with the link below will put everything back as if it came out of the box with ICS fom verizon.
It does not matter if any system files are missing.

GemMoth

Reaction score
Flashing the phone with the link below will put everything back as if it came out of the box with ICS fom verizon.
It does not matter if any system files are missing.

Yes I understand that. What I'm saying is, I wanted to try again solving without flashing the ROM. If it works, it would save me some trouble.
So do you guys also get a 11 kb apk if you backup acoustic warning for instance? If not, it would be cool If I tried your apks.

sst45jeff

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
Yes I understand that. What I'm saying is, I wanted to try again solving without flashing the ROM. If it works, it would save me some trouble.
So do you guys also get a 11 kb apk if you backup acoustic warning for instance? If not, it would be cool If I tried your apks.

I cant find the file in my backups you are asking for.