Update Failure due to Missing or Corrupted System Files and your Rooted? Fix!

2THEXTRM

Reaction score
Several great ways of getting our phones on to .902 are available, here is just one more that has workeddancedroid

I have helped a few out that were having install failures due to missing/corrupted files and instead of starting over and re-setting up phone, just manually replaced the files causing errors. If you are rooted and deleted "bloat" apps or just have a file that is in your system/app folder but causes an error during update install, this may help. This has had success for both base versions of .893 and .901 attempting to install .902 update!

Error Example:
assert failed: apply_patch_check("/system/app/BooksPhone.apk". "f50a23588051f9e0d8c06f7411016fa9c360e7a6"."e085b2 e8b03396bfa9f836a82f7e7b649cfed682")
E:Error in /tmp/sideload/package.zip
(Status 7)
Installation aborted

REQUIREMENTS:
Root!!
Root Explorer app(or equivalent)!!
TITANIUM BACKUP(TiBu) USERS- If you have made back-ups using TiBu, you should first try to restore file causing problems first to save time and avoid making manual changes to your system root:

TiBu Instructions:
Open TiBu
Select the Backup/Restore tab
Select the offending file and then choose Restore in pop-up box, TiBu will do the work from here

How to Replace System App:

Using PC - Download zip file at bottom of page and unzip to your desktop or folder of your choosing, connect your phone and copy needed files to your sd card root, you may disconnect phone.
Using Phone- Download zip file at bottom of page, it will be found in your folder called Download(found in app drawer or sd card root). Unzip by long pressing on file and choosing extract. It will extract to new sub folder called Extracted within zip folder.
  1. Once you open your root explorer app, select Mount R/W at top of screen
  2. Scroll down and select sdcard, Copy/move your needed file from BionicSystemApps/Extracted folder
  3. Back out Twice, scroll down and select system folder then app folder where the apps are held.
  4. Paste/move file here where you may receive a notice to replace file, choose Yes.
IMPORTANT: You now want to set permissions of new file by long pressing the file and selecting Permissions. They should be checked off as follows:
Owner - read, write
Group - read
Others - read

You may now select Mount R/O at top of screen back out of Root Explorer and attempt to complete your update.

here is ALL files found in your System/app folder in a zip file:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/61128903/BionicSystemApps.zip

I'll leave the file up for a couple weeks, by that time everyone should have gotten the OTA, FXZ'd Sargentajord's great work or just plain figured it out yourself!

bioniccrazy

Reaction score
ok do i copied both apk and odex file to my phone, never received anything asking to replace it, but it took. I set permissions as followed and tried to update same error. Not sure maybe i did something wrong.

bioniccrazy

Reaction score
sorry for being a pain, but i just did this whole thing twice and i still got the same error, when trying to update. Not sure were to to go from here, can i do a factory reset maybe and get the pre-installed apps back. I have everything backed up but guided tours, it doesnt even show up with the apps or i tibu. If i do a factory reset assuming it works to restore apps, will me being rooted mess anything up. Thanx so much so far and again sorry for being a pain.

OP
2THEXTRM

2THEXTRM

Reaction score
Download these 3 TiBu files I uploaded for you and place in mnt/sdcard/TitaniumBackup folder. Goto TibBu, choose restore for Guided Tours, see if that works!
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/61128903/com.motorola.guidedtours-20120203-070148.properties
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/61128903/com.motorola.guidedtours-20120203-070148.tar.gz
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/61128903/com.motorola.guidedtours-af6eac7028071a7c149faeefb8d2d73a.apk.gz

If you factory reset, you would still be rooted but it will not restore deleted system files unfortunately. You would have to fxz which isnt really hard but you do lose all your settings/apps I believe:
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/mo...-5-893-fxz-901-902-compatible-902-update.html

bioniccrazy

Reaction score
ok thanx i cant get first link to download it just opens into bunch of weird stuff

OP
2THEXTRM

2THEXTRM

Reaction score
Just right click and "Save Target as" to get the file onto your Phone/PC. Because it is an unknown extension(.properties) that only TiBu uses.

bioniccrazy

Reaction score
Just right click and "Save Target as" to get the file onto your Phone/PC. Because it is an unknown extension(.properties) that only TiBu uses.

Thanx for all ur help, but tibu still wont restore guidedtours it just sets there and says restoring. I tried on other apps and it restored, i think im going to have to to use the fxz file.

OP
2THEXTRM

2THEXTRM

Reaction score
Fxz gives you a clean Slate at least. Tibu makes it easy. I recommend copying important folders on your internal phone storage to your sd-ext just too be safe. TiBu and DCIM off hand. One last back up of your custom launcher/sms settings if you use them and copy of their backup files.

Good luck!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

bioniccrazy

Reaction score
Fxz gives you a clean Slate at least. Tibu makes it easy. I recommend copying important folders on your internal phone storage to your sd-ext just too be safe. TiBu and DCIM off hand. One last back up of your custom launcher/sms settings if you use them and copy of their backup files.

Good luck!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

One question can i use petes one click methood too root my phone again or the other method listed

Lakilaulea

Reaction score
My home key no longer works. What would be the file I'd need to replace?

***Nevermind. It wasn't anything a little factory reset couldn't handle.