I think it's bricked

Ossoblanco

Reaction score
I am praying I didnt just turn my new D3 into a paperweight. So there I was, messing around with bloatware thinking I had done all the necessary research to be able to identify what was ok to freeze and what wasnt. A couple force close messages popped up and then one kept looping. I pulled the battery and restarted the phone and got the red eye of death staring me down with no sign of it ever going away. I went through a bunch of post in multiple forums and came up with this link https://motorola-global-portal.cust...~/droid-3---master-reset-/-factory-data-reset. I followed these instructions and it seemed like it solved the problem, but after going through most of the setup stuff at startup I get to a point where it wont go to the home screen. I am just stuck between the "setup accounts" and "location consent" screens. I can access the USB connection and set it to charge only and I can lock and unlock the screen.

I am assuming this means that I have successfully bricked my phone?

I have no idea if I somehow unrooted my phone when I followed the directions from Motorola. I was also under the impression that I had backed up my phone with Titanium Backup before changing anything, but can't find a backup file on my sdcard.

I have always been a fan of learning things by jumping in and seeing if I can swim. Well I'm drownin and hopin one of you Droid wizards can throw me a line. Thanks everybody.

Reaction score
i googled up sbf with mac. you can do it. it seems that in order to do so, you need to download and install a trial version of vmware fusion. google it up, you'll see. i would wait for one of the big dogs to chime in though, i'm not a programmer or anything like that, though i do wish for you to unbrick your phone! good luck!

heres a link to another thread on df that discusses this a little bit.

edit: and to make things a little easier, heres a link to the other thread you posted on

Last edited:
OP
Ossoblanco

Ossoblanco

Reaction score
i googled up sbf with mac. you can do it. it seems that in order to do so, you need to download and install a trial version of vmware fusion. google it up, you'll see. i would wait for one of the big dogs to chime in though, i'm not a programmer or anything like that, though i do wish for you to unbrick your phone! good luck!

heres a link to another thread on df that discusses this a little bit.

edit: and to make things a little easier, heres a link to the other thread you posted on

Thanks for all the info! I got a copy of vmware and am in the process of getting rsdlite and everything else set up. I will let you know how it all turns out.

I have realized that after doing the reset outlined by motorola on the page I linked in my first post, I have a phone that works at least partially. I can receive calls and emails and can even call back numbers that have called me. The only thing I can't do is access my home screen. I am assuming I accidentally froze the wrong file, but I am under the impression that I may not have to completely flash my D3. Is there any way of unfreezing files through rsdlite or mac terminal? I am pretty sure I know what files need to be unfrozen and the files location on my sdcard. I also know where they need to go on my phone. Anybody have any idea?

Reaction score
I wonder if your issue is that you froze your launcher? Have you tried using another launcher like launcher pro or go launcher ex (my fav)?

Edit: in all honesty though, (if a new launcehr doesnt do the trick) i'd still flash it fresh. That way, you can start fresh and not have to worry about anything.

Last edited:

bendystrawboy

Reaction score
I wonder if your issue is that you froze your launcher? Have you tried using another launcher like launcher pro or go launcher ex (my fav)?

Edit: in all honesty though, (if a new launcehr doesnt do the trick) i'd still flash it fresh. That way, you can start fresh and not have to worry about anything.

Use search to launch market, install launcher pro, see what that does.

OP
Ossoblanco

Ossoblanco

Reaction score
Use search to launch market, install launcher pro, see what that does.

I am pretty sure the problem is that I froze BlurHome2.apk and odex without first installing another launcher. I cannot use search to launch market, my phone wont let me. So what I tried was emailing myself the link to Launcher Pro on the android market, but that didn't work because I froze my browser after installing Dolphin and I am under the impression that Dolphin was wiped off my phone by the Motorola factory reset method I used from the first post in this thread. So now I am in a situation where I need to figure out if I can install a new launcher or unfreeze blurhome2.apk and odex from mac terminal. It doesnt seem like I should have to install rsdlite to do this or flash the sbf if it comes to that.

Reaction score
I am pretty sure the problem is that I froze BlurHome2.apk and odex without first installing another launcher. I cannot use search to launch market, my phone wont let me. So what I tried was emailing myself the link to Launcher Pro on the android market, but that didn't work because I froze my browser after installing Dolphin and I am under the impression that Dolphin was wiped off my phone by the Motorola factory reset method I used from the first post in this thread. So now I am in a situation where I need to figure out if I can install a new launcher or unfreeze blurhome2.apk and odex from mac terminal. It doesnt seem like I should have to install rsdlite to do this or flash the sbf if it comes to that.
try downloading the apk onto your computer, sending it to your phone and installing from there. did you freeze file manager?

km75

Reaction score

You could also use the voice command function on the keyboard and say "go to market". Then you should be able to download another launcher.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

Last edited:

km75

Reaction score
I am praying I didnt just turn my new D3 into a paperweight. So there I was, messing around with bloatware thinking I had done all the necessary research to be able to identify what was ok to freeze and what wasnt. A couple force close messages popped up and then one kept looping. I pulled the battery and restarted the phone and got the red eye of death staring me down with no sign of it ever going away. I went through a bunch of post in multiple forums and came up with this link https://motorola-global-portal.cust...~/droid-3---master-reset-/-factory-data-reset. I followed these instructions and it seemed like it solved the problem, but after going through most of the setup stuff at startup I get to a point where it wont go to the home screen. I am just stuck between the "setup accounts" and "location consent" screens. I can access the USB connection and set it to charge only and I can lock and unlock the screen.

I am assuming this means that I have successfully bricked my phone?

I have no idea if I somehow unrooted my phone when I followed the directions from Motorola. I was also under the impression that I had backed up my phone with Titanium Backup before changing anything, but can't find a backup file on my sdcard.

I have always been a fan of learning things by jumping in and seeing if I can swim. Well I'm drownin and hopin one of you Droid wizards can throw me a line. Thanks everybody.

Just a heads up titanium backup backs up your apps and data not the whole phone. Also you probably don't see what you backed up on the sd card because it was probably saved to internal storage.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

rvcjew

Reaction score
go to the android market on your pc login to you Google account, choose your device under the market go/ search for launcher pro on you PC/MAC click install, choose you phone from the drop down menu that appears then click install if your market is working it will download and install to your phone automatically.
helpwz.jpg

OP
Ossoblanco

Ossoblanco

Reaction score
Hahahahaha awesome! I appreciate all of your assistance. I didn't end up using any of the tricks you all posted on here though. I got it to work randomly by trying to click on a link from an email that Droid Forums sent me and it asked if I wanted to download the DF app from the market. I was able to install launcher pro from there and can now access almost everything in my phone again. Gotta reinstall a bunch of apps and try to unfreeze the necessary files to get back to normal but should be all set in an hour or so. Thanks again for all of your help. I can't wait mess this thing up all over again and try to put the pieces back together!

OP
Ossoblanco

Ossoblanco

Reaction score
Now that I have installed Launcher Pro, I am trying to access the Titanium backpack that I created before messing up my phone but can't figure out where it is. Is there a possibility that the factory reset I did could have erased it?

rvcjew

Reaction score
If it was on sdcard and not sdcard-ext its gone sorry did same thing myself.:( EDIT: if it was on sdcard_ext then its in folder titanium backup.lol edit again what u trying to put back/freeze?

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

Last edited: