D3 Stuck in Setup Wizard (process com.motorola.setup)

Red_Hope

Reaction score
I recently unrooted then factory reset my D3 (so I could do the new software update they're pushing out). I get to the lovely setup wizard and start through that procedure. When I get to the "Location Consent" screen (it asks for consent for VZW location, GPS services, and Google Location Services), I get the force close every time then I have to restart the process. So I basically get stuck in this setup loop because the com.motorola.setup is force closing. I'm not sure if anybody has dealt with it or knows a work around. I'm wondering if unrooting it and removing some bloatware somehow damaged the com.motorola.setup.

Thanks for any help!

kaevanoff

Reaction score
Just a "share the pain" note:

I pushed the prompt to install the OS update last Thursday on my Droid 3 that up until then had been 99.5% perfect (a few app inconsistencies which I figured was due to the apps needing updating). Beginning Friday AM, my phone took on a life of its own. I removed the 2 apps that didn't seem to function properly, called Verizon and went through the update procedure recommended. That was in the early afternoon and the rep said he would call back @ 700P that evening. He didn't, but I noticed various apps started force closing repeated times. In addition, text messages I had sent went out, but were not saved. Then the automatic rebooting began.

I had to remove the battery 3 times in the AM Saturday to get nominal function back, then I called Verizon and got an automatic message o call from another phone. When I got on line, Verizon get me a 2nd or 3rd level tech that took me through a complete factory reset including reformatting the phone with my SD card removed. Not only did this NOT work, but apps I had uninstalled, reappeare when I rebooted my phone without my SD card. And during the factory reset, I got an icon that showed a triangle with exclamation point in the center instead of the program installing icon.

The long and short of it is, Verizon is sending out a new phone (I got my Droid 3 the 1st week of September as an upgrade from my original Droid) due to a totally corrupted OS after working with the phone tech for nearly an hour. This last update apparently has some problems with many phones.

A couple of technical notes:
- About an hour after installing the upgrade, while I had my laptop and phone connected, my laptop screen flashed and went blue screen. I had to disconnect my phone to get it to work again. BTW, my computer has never blue screened since I got it in November of 2008.

- The apps that I had installed on my original Droid that didn't quite work with the Droid 3 OS were a compass program that also reads GPS sats and a GPS test program. Both program functioned in every way except they did not show either the number of sats they were reading nor their location. Interestingly after installing the upgrade, those functions returned to the apps and then the problems I listed above began.

- The only app added after the OS update was the Starbucks utility app (Starbucks app, not obscure 3rd party) for monitoring your Starbucks cards and paying with your phone.

Sorry to be wordy, but I hope this enlightens someone out there.

kaevanoff

Reaction score
I recently unrooted then factory reset my D3 (so I could do the new software update they're pushing out). I get to the lovely setup wizard and start through that procedure. When I get to the "Location Consent" screen (it asks for consent for VZW location, GPS services, and Google Location Services), I get the force close every time then I have to restart the process. So I basically get stuck in this setup loop because the com.motorola.setup is force closing. I'm not sure if anybody has dealt with it or knows a work around. I'm wondering if unrooting it and removing some bloatware somehow damaged the com.motorola.setup.

Thanks for any help!

See my "share the pain" story. You may be looking at a replacement phone. Mine starting force closing a number of various apps randomly throughout the day and even force closes some system program including the homescreen utility.

Ossoblanco

Reaction score

Thanks for any help!

I dealt with the same problem and believe it is due to the fact that I froze the blurhome2.apk and odex without first installing an alternative launcher on my phone. There are a few ways to get yourself out of this jam. To get out of the setup loop you need to install a new launcher. I have put the following steps together from all of the helpful folks on here that gave me suggestions. Try the following steps:

1 - Tap the magnifying glass on the front of your phone and try to get to the market in order to download and install a new launcher. If tapping the magnifying glass doesn't work then....

2 - Press and hold the magnifying glass until you see the Speak Now window and as indee2025 points out below simply say "go to market." Again search for and install a new launcher. If the press & hold doesn't work then...

3 - Slide up the screen to access the keyboard and press the magnifying glass. If this doesn't respond then...

4 - Press the microphone icon button on your keyboard and say "go to market" when the Speak Now window appears.

I will be surprised if none of these work, but if they don't, try this: Have someone send you a private message from one of these forums that has an app on the android market such as DroidForum for instance. If your email works, which it did on my phone, you should be able to click on the link to access the message and be presented with something along the lines of "this is an android native app, download from the market? If you click on yes it will take you to the market and you can search for a launcher from there. (You don't even have to download the DroidForum app if you don't want to, but I would recommend it since you are reading this and may want easy access to this forum in the future :)).

I hope this helps and good luck with the com.motorola.setup loop

Last edited:

indee2025

Reaction score

Thanks for any help!

Luck Lucky You!

I say this because I had the same problem with the same com.motorola.setup force closing but it didnt happen after I checked which location service it happend after that screen where it asks you to finish seting up any other accounts you might have in their crappy blur service...when I hit done it would immediately force close then loop into the screen where it asks for location services to be checked....lucky for you I was able to find a solution despite not finding any info about this in the forums, I was so relieved to find a solution after being so worried my Droid 3 had become useless I decided I would stop in the forums and post a solution, for your viewing pleasure here is how to solve your problem....

First remove the battery and wait 30 seconds then plug in the battery back in and hit power.
Then after the boot screen is done and you have the first available opportunity to interact with the device, press and hold the magnifying glass icon on the bottom right of the Droid until the voice action starts up....then tell the droid "go to market" from the market web page accept the market terms & conditions (if asked) and search for "Launcher Go EX"
Go ahead and download and install this from the market & then when it is done installing from the market screen click "open" then you will be asked by Droid if you want to complete the action using Launcher GO or MyAccounts and you click Launcher Go...then you will have access to the rest of your system to include settings and can look for the update and download the update again or use launcher go ex's sexy themes and forget about the update but either way this wil get you access to the rest of your device again-you're welcome in advance!

rvcjew

Reaction score
Luck Lucky You!

First remove the battery and wait 30 seconds then plug in the battery back in and hit power.
Then after the boot screen is done and you have the first available opportunity to interact with the device, press and hold the magnifying glass icon on the bottom right of the Droid until the voice action starts up....then tell the droid "go to market" from the market web page accept the market terms & conditions (if asked) and search for "Launcher Go EX"
Go ahead and download and install this from the market & then when it is done installing from the market screen click "open" then you will be asked by Droid if you want to complete the action using Launcher GO or MyAccounts and you click Launcher Go...then you will have access to the rest of your system to include settings and can look for the update and download the update again or use launcher go ex's sexy themes and forget about the update but either way this wil get you access to the rest of your device again-you're welcome in advance!
This should work also if you cant get it to do this. then try this method. http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-3-tech-support/175245-i-think-its-bricked.html#post1772290